Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Geek Club CEO

Hey gtexan,
I just read through this whole post, and while I agree that it's admirable and wonderful and IDEAL to try to work with whatever behaviours you may get with a shelter dog, I also agree with LavenderRott...some behaviours (like lunging at someone's throat) are not to be taken lightly, should be evaluated/treated by a professional, and if YOU are not comfortable with the behaviours, then it is best for you and the dog to part ways, letting someone more qualified do the work. You had to make a hard decision, based on nasty behavioural issues...you did not tell us that you were having trouble potty training, or issues with mouthing or chewing or barking...it sounds to me like this dog poses a serious threat and has the potential to do great harm to someone (small or not-personally I have only ever been bitten by small dogs, and I don't think any aggressive behaviour directed at people should be taken lightly). Honestly, I think I would have done the same thing, including warning the humane society about the problem and your concerns about it going to another family. I've dealt with (and still have) a dog with garding issues, posessiveness, dog-aggression...and we have worked on it. But what you experienced is a whole other thing. I don't think that EVERY dog can be safely rehomed. Sometimes it is best to PTS (not that this is necessarily the case for this spaniel, but I think that it needs to be an option for agressive dogs). I think you did the right thing.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)