Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM

Help with breed ID?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with some breed ID questions I have.

First off, when adopting an "All American mix " (thats what we call them here ) is it even worth it to try and pinpoint what might be in the dog?

When dogs are mixed, do they retain any characteristics from the combining breeds?

Heres a picture to help out the questions. She looks very much like a lab in the picture, but when she faces you, she looks a little squarer. I only recognized it in one picture of her that I saw on petfinder (its no longer there) and once we started playing outside more. When she gets more active, she looks a little less lab like. When you look at her face on, her ears open forward, unlike a labs, so Im thinking she's got something else in her. She's also got a white blaze on her chest. I was concerned that she might have one of the "bully" breeds in her (boxer/pittbull), so I specifically asked the shelter what the original vet ID of her was. In an email, they told me the following

"I do not believe has any pitt mix in her. Her siblings (who have
been adopted) look more like pointers or hounds so we are guessing the whole
litter is pointer/hound/lab mix."

The reason I am concerned is that the community we live in has restrictions on "bully" breeds, and I don't want to create a problem for her/us in the future if it can be avoided.

I dont know if restrictions apply to "mixes," but you don't want to get caught unprepared. If it helps, here are some stats on her:
-About 5 months old
-About 22-25 pounds
-Female
-Friendly toward people
-Very submissive toward other dogs
-Slightly tenative around cats (shows almost no interest)

Last edited by geoffh4; July 23rd, 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

Another picture to help...
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM

No ideas?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
-

Personally I love bullies and can't see anything in her profile which would give her that trait. Do you have a face-forward picture of her ? She is very cute by the way.

As we also suffer under the tyranny of idiotic legislation, I can however, appreciate your logistical concern about having a pitty-mix. I would ensure that you get something in writing from your Vet that confirms she is a Lab cross, retain a copy of the email you have from the shelter should a problem ever arise and register her as a LabX when you purchase your dog licence from your municipality.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the opinion!
I will try to get a face forward shot of her. Because of her dark complexion, its tough to get any sort of perspective, and I think that might be why she looks a little more like some of the bully breeds from that angle

Its strange, because the breed specific stuff in its relation to mixes is so subjective. If a definitive breed can't be identified positively, then its up to the accuser or regulation to decide whether it "thinks" it is a pittie/boxer/rotty mix or not.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

I dont have her forward picture yet, but here are her littermates. First is the male, second is female. They both have slightly dirty white patches, with more grey hair mixed with the white.
Attached Images