Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 16th, 2014, 01:58 AM

Odd grooming, not fleas

New to the forum, hi!

So Moo is a approx. 4 year old female. She has had perfect bill of health since we adopted her. She is an indoor cat and doesn't come in contact with any other animals. At most she spends her days by the sliding door screen when it's warm enough to keep it open.

Lately she has developed this odd behaviour while grooming. As if she's trying to catch something on her fur. We have checked for fleas, nothing is present and her bed is free from any droppings. No rashes or missing fur from over grooming in any one spot.

Her diet hasn't changed much since she became an adult. My only possible explanation would be the change humidity level in the house now that it's fall.

Please take a look at the video and let me know your thoughts. The end result will be the vet but that's my last option. I prefer more of a holistic approach if possible. Don't like causing her unnecessary stress.

http://youtu.be/IgJxBmkYn3s

Thanks!
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Makes me think fleas are biting her. Do you have a very fine toothed flea comb? Those little buggers can be hard to find.
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Checked. Nothing. Plus this behaviour occurs only when she is lounging around and doesn't seem to have issues with it on a regular bases.

We did notice our humidifier was off, possible that maybe she is suffering from dry itch skin. She has some dandruff but not a concerning amount.
Old November 16th, 2014, 01:53 PM

Hello kat006:

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find it interesting and informative.

We have a 6 year old male kitty named Yogi, and he has the same affliction that your kitty has developed. Yogi's started a little over 4 years ago when we were living in an apartment. We had 4 other kitties and none of them have the same thing.

From your video, it appears to me that it is called Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome, more commonly known to most of us as "rolling skin" syndrome. I personally refer to is as "phantom bug" syndrome. LOL

I would be taking her to what we call an Interactive vet - if you have access to one, due to the fact that they are qualified in both alopathic and homeopathic medicines. According to my last alopathic vet, she hadn't had very much success with pharmaceuticals in treating this problem, and recommended the use of Feliway.

With Yogi, we use Rescue Remedy mixed in his drinking water - the water is used by our other 2 kitties. ( We lost our 2 senior kitties only 3 months ago, days before a major move to where we live now. ) Also when the affliction strikes Yogi, he comes to us looking for a "manual" rub down and massage, and that helps to relieve things very well. And we spray a shot of Rescue Remedy behind each ear at the same time.

We've also taken up playing with the kitties a lot more than we used to and we think this helps as well.

I'm enclosing 3 web sites for you to take a look at. Hope they are useful and give you some info. At least make sure you have your kitty checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't something else contributing to the trouble.

If I can be of any further assistance, just let me know.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1998

http://www.ehow.com/way_6173004_home...resthesia.html

http://www.lookfordiagnosis.com/vide...ion+...&lang=1
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

VEry interesting, thanks Reg.