Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Arrow my dog has a bright red eye

My dog Yukon, a siberian husky, has a bright red bloodshot eye. He's acting perfectly normal and now scratching it, its only one of his eyes. I was thinking it may be an allegy to all the spring blooms and stuff going on around here the past few days, but I'm skeptical of that since its only one eye. He hold it open when he's running around and playing, but when u go to pet him he squints it up really tight. Dogs can get pink eye, and I'm not sure if this is it or if it is just irritated from something. What can I do about this to get a better idea of knowing what this is? Or is there any treatment over the counter for this type of thing?
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Could be a foreign object, dust or something, stuck in his eye.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM

is there any goopies coming out of it, my guy got an eye infection at the dog park, i think it was from the sand ( it was a baseball field ) so it might be worth getting checked out by a vet.

Change the way you look at things and the things around you change
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree hedgiemama, might be an idea to get him to your vet. The squinting may indicate an injury to the eye that you can't see, but that your vet would using dye. Such injuries can lead to corneal ulcers. I have a book written by a canine ophthalmologist so took a look at that and it said it's more important to see a vet if only one eye is effected .
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca Connie ....I have a siberian husky as well (my third) and would love to see pics of Yukon.

I'm sorry to hear about his eye and hope it is nothing serious. I personally do not like to treat any eye problems without getting my vet to check it out first as there are too many problems that could arise by doing so. The internet is not the place to diagnose an eye problem imo so therefore I would take Yukon to the vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree a vet visit is a must. If your eye was red and irritated would you not go see the doctor? Poor pup must be in some kind of pain. This could turn into an eye ulcer and that hurt...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like it could well be pink eye, but you won't know till a vet checks it. And, of course, if you don't know what you're dealing with, any treatments would be hit and miss.

We don't mess with eyes here, sight is just too precious--so if one of the dogs is having problems, we take them in right away.

Hope you can get Yukon in for a proper diagnosis soon, Connie! Please keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
bloodshot, dog, eye, irritated, red