Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Unhappy Please help!

I don't know what to do!

My Fiance's parents have two boxers, one that is 11 years old and suffering from Supraventricular fibrillation ( i think) She has episodes where she has an irregular heart beat and just collapses. She's on some sort of medication she needs to take 3 times a day, and as needed.
The other boxer is four years old, extremely submissive and insecure and relies on the older one for support and love. When she has an episode, the younger one (Annie) is more distressed than Murphy (the older one). She doesn't understand.

This is where it gets really tricky. His parents have booked a cruise at the end of february. They have booked a kennel for the dogs. I am so conflicted.

I would love to have all of the dogs over to stay with me, the cruise is only for two weeks. However, i am working and don't drive, so i wouldn't be able to give murphy her pills. I also think that my dogs would be too hyper for her heart to handle. If she gets excited, she's more prone to having heart issues.

They didn't anticipate that murphy would make it to the end of this week, she's up to three - four episodes a day now. I Can't honestly imagine how it would feel for this already insecure scared little dog who just lost her best friend, and have to be put into a kennel all alone.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to ask if she can come stay with me and my dogs?

Will that be better for her?

I don't know what to say, if it were me i would postpone the cruise until everything settled. But that is out of the question and to me, really really frustrating and upsetting.

I will also be alone, my boyfriend is up in edmonton for school during the week. I would feel so much better if Annie could come and stay with me. I think she would probably feel better having some of her own kind around to relate to.... She knows me and my fiance, and my dogs.

My older dog luna is pretty motherly and would probably love to have annie to play with....

I dunno! help! how do i convince them to let Annie stay with me~!!
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM

i agree

i agree with you, a kennel now would be so tramatic on the dog, he might be a little nervous being by you especially if hes never met the dogs, but always having someone, then having no one and being sent away would be a worse senario. might enjoy his vacation with you. good luck to you
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I agree that this would be very traumatic for her to go through. I think that if they must go on this cruise, Annie should stay with someone whom she knows and is comfortable with. Being that she is very close to Murphy, she will feel her loss.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:48 AM

I think she's better off with you. Even with your doggies around, you'd still pay way more attention to her than a kennel would.
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM

both of their dogs have met our dogs, Annie is nervous about them, but, i am sure if she does come for a visit that they'd work it all out.

it just got a little bit worse though, they are not leaving at the END of february, they are leaving on the fourth. So, i'm kind of thinking that poor murphy will end up dying at the kennel. She's gotten up to 8 episodes a day. I would be considering euthanasia at this point only because it is really distressing to murphy and annie when they happen... Murphy actually stands most the time because she is more comfortable that way, if she lays down it's hard to breathe, and if she feels her heart doing a little jig she actually tries to go to someone to help her not fall down.

it's breaking my heart =(

this is murphy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ten/murphy.jpg

this is annie:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tten/annie.jpg

Last edited by .unknown.; January 21st, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM

Beautiful doggies! You can't take them if they leave earlier in Feb? I think you should try your best to encourage them to euthanize her before they go. She can't die alone.:sad:
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I too wonder why they would book a cruise at such a crucial time. Did they book it long ago not realizing this would all happen? If they have cancellation insurance (if it was some kind of deal - and I am no travel expert but just wondering?) could they postpone the cruise - explain the situation to the cruiseline or travel agency (say there is an illness in the family?). IF they have to go, I agree with Prin - their poor little doggie cannot die alone! And the other one - Annie- needs them too at a time like that. What are they thinking?

And yes, they'd be much better with you -even if you are away for part of the day!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:31 PM

well. i'm not entirely sure what they are thinking.
it's very confusing and sad to me.

I can take Annie at anytime, but Murphy needs medication every three hours at least. So, i dont know what to say. Would the kennel even take a dying dog? ugh.

this is terrible.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Do they have a good friend who has experience with dogs, who could stay at the house?
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM

they dont.

Murphy was euthanized this morning. Her "spells" were very bad.

Now to see if we can convince them to let Annie stay.
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for the loss. I'm sure it was for the best. I just hope Annie will be OK
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM

yeah. his parents are convinced that my dogs will eat Annie.... which is even more F****ing frustrating because MY dogs LOVE other dogs.

It seems my dogs are just the red headed step child somehow.

:sad: