Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh No! Poor Baby Rabbit!

*I hope it'll be ok*

Right after I mocked them for being 'mighty hunters', the boys decided to do some real hunting :sad::sad:

I was weeding with them in the backyard and all of sudden Onnie dashes through some bush - bunduk has this crazed look in his eyes and they both start running after something. I see a flash of brown as some little animal scurries across the yard, kitties in hot pursuit.

I sprang up and ran to the area, clapped my hands and screamed! In a flash the rabbit ran the other side and I grabbed Onnie (who had cornered it), only to have bunduk spring after it and grab it. I heard the most horrible squeal ever :sad:

Bunduk ran for the deck and back door and stood at the screen, wanting to bring it inside of course!! I dropped Onnie and ran too, all the while screaming for my mom (who was in the kitchen). When my mom came to the door by the time I reached Bunduk, she spooked him and he dropped the rabbit.

Most horrible minute ever!! I thought it was dead in Bunduk's mouth because its neck was at a funny angle and it wasnt moving at all. When he dropped it at first it was cornered on the deck but I guess my yelling and general hysteria spooked Bunduk and finally the rabbit was able to run out under the gate and to the front yard area.

Right now I have two overly excited kitties (both unharmed except 4 a small scratch on bunduks nose), a mom who thinks im crazy (for my yelling and screaming...she thought the dogs next door got the cats or something ) and a sense of worry over the rabbit. There was no blood or anything so I'm hoping it'll be ok?

I almost feel worse now for making bunduk let it go because what if it's injured now and is just in pain?

How should I have reacted?? I thought my boys wouldnt be able to catch anything because their collars jingle

Now I know this is the circle of life and all and I eat meat too...so im not delusional on that front, but my cats arent hungry and so thats why i was so upset. Not to mention for their own health (and my vet bills!) as they could also get injured and get parasites/diseases. That and I invite wildlife to the yard (with the feeders), so I think its a cruel to invite them then let the predators loose!

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited by onster; June 27th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Kitty pimp

well he might tella;; his buddies to stay the hell out of the yard!!

hes probaly all right if thier wasnt any blood ,blockhead used to grab em all the time
and yeah the yell dont they!!!
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Don;t worry Onster...As long as there was no puncture since a cats saliva is deadly...the rabbit will be fine
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

lol but I like the bunnies Jim, they are so cute!

Thanks cpietra, you helped put my mind at ease. I never knew the saliva was deadly though? in what way? just in that theyll prob get a bad infection?

Old June 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor bunny. I would think as long as bunny managed to hope away it should be ok. Silly kitties. Don't feel bad about your reaction. I would probably do the same thing. Just shows you you can't underestimate a cat. Doesn't matter if they are hungry or not, instinct takes over when prey presents itself.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

youre telling me 14+! re: the underestimating a cat...omg..bunduk has started this thing where when we go out and then me and onnie go down the deck to the yard he will meow pitifully and put his paws thru the deck railing..eventually maybe jumping up on to it then jumping from the railing to my back and then to the ground. I was thinking wow, he is seriously dumb..does not know where the stairs are?!?! Even when me and Onnie are on the deck and he wants back up (say im giving out treats), he will meow and meow till I go get him.

Well wouldnt u know he got that rabbit and ran up the deck, to the screen in a millisecond. I think he just plays dumb!!! lol that kitteh has me wrapped around his lil paw and he knows it.

Old June 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

And he knows it!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As long as the skin was intact, Bunny will likely live to visit the yard again tomorrow The Pack chases bunnies out of the yard all the time...but the bunnies never learn... Sigh.

They certainly do have a blood-curdling scream, though, don't they?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

hahahahah i dunno 14+ sometimes I think i really should ease up on the catering to his every whim. Lil bro says im making him (bunduk) 'useless'

hazel, first time i heard a bunny scream. Broke my heart! It was a wee one too :sad: I think the whole neighborhood heard my screams though

" NOOOOOO DROP IT!! LET HIM GO. NOOOOOOOOO. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

lol yeaaaaaaaah. nothing like disturbing the peace on a nice saturday evening.

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hey, that's exactly what hazel yells when one of the dogs is trying to eat poop! "NOOOOOO!!!! DROP IT!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!" Doesn't work very well for us, either

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL

ok so poop eating may be a lil worse than some rabbit fur in the mouth lol
i dunno how u would ever handle 8 chasing after soemthing!!! I was having a hard time with my tag team