Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy4Kittens View Post
Thank you! I just found out about the beef and fish a few hours ago. Hard food is no good? Hmm...I will look for this Innova, though I feel like I have scoured the aisles of the pet health food store as best I can, and don't recall seeing that. I will check again. Natural balance makes a soft version of the duck and green pea, would that be a good alternative if I can't find the Innova?
I am pretty sure they don't sell Evo at Global, think that was one of the foods I was previously looking for.

Urban Paws by Walmart I think sells it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, and I don't believe we have seen any pictures of Ginger and Pandora yet, think you got a brand new camera, why not put it to use and entertain us.

There is a seperate section in this forum just for pet pictures.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Hi! I just stumbled upon this while trying to find out more about the food allergies that may cause flare ups in cats that have EGC.

I found out that my oldest cat, Vigo, had EGC when I saw him constantly licking his back feet. Upon a closer inspection, I could see that his tow pads were swollen, red, and some of then cracked open. They weren't pussy, but one foot was cracked so badly that he was tracking a bloody print across the house!

Now, Vigo is FeLuk+ and we have known this since he was a kitten (hes about 1 yr old now) It does not affect him currently, but he was in bad shape when we got him, we got him healthy (and try to keep him that way in hopes the FeLuk will never infect his bones) but when knowing that FeLuk is an immunodeficiency disorder, ANY thing out of the ordinary has to be looked at by our vet. SO, I searched the internet and found a page on EGC, and when I read through it and saw pictures, it was what Vigo had on his feet. It also triggered a memory back to when he had gotten a fat bottom lip, and it was diagnosed as possible allergy to plastic (Vigo loves grocery bags, who doesn't?). So, Vigo went to the vet, I mentioned EGC to her and she consulted with another vet she knew and decided it was possible. So she told me to try giving him Zyrtec. Yes Zyrtec is an allergy med for humans and just recently became available for over-the-counter purchase. She said to give him 5mg twice a day (morn and night) and see if that helps.

To make a long story short, I started giving him the zyrtec (10mg tablet) half in the morning food and half in evening food, and it pretty much cleared up his EGC. Although his lip ALMOST gets fat, or feet ALMOST flare up, it usually goes away the next day. Vigo hates the zyrtec so sometimes he doesn't eat it. But steroids aren't an option for my FeLuk kitty. We are also trying to get foods that don't make him have flare ups so we can get him off the zyrtec. we just switched to California Natural dry food (Herring and Sweet Potatoe) it has no chicken in it! Still looking for a chickenless wet food. I have him on this natural fish soft food right now, its actually pieces of fish in a fravy sauce and they have a few different flavors, but my local pet store is discontinuing it, so I might try to soft food that Cali Natural has. But I saw someone mention earlier in this thread that some fish are bad too? The problem is we have no way of knowing what makes our kities flare up until we try everything. Im hoping that just doing fish only (and not poultry) helps Vigo.

So, I would try the Zyrtec, Im not a vet, but my vet (who is very good, imo) said that there is NO harm in trying. It may make him drowsy (it doesn't for Vigo) but there are no adverse side effects beside that.

Hope your kitties get better!
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Tarapotamus, K4K was going to call her vet again if she doesn't come on to post I'll let her know about asking her vet about Zyrtec.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarapotamus View Post
We are also trying to get foods that don't make him have flare ups so we can get him off the zyrtec. we just switched to California Natural dry food (Herring and Sweet Potatoe) it has no chicken in it!
Might I be so bold as to suggest getting rid of all dry food for your cat? Especially for a cat that is immune-compromised and has allergies, kibble of any kind is really not suitable. You can read more about why dry food is not ideal here: http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarapotamus View Post
Still looking for a chickenless wet food. I have him on this natural fish soft food right now, its actually pieces of fish in a fravy sauce and they have a few different flavors, but my local pet store is discontinuing it, so I might try to soft food that Cali Natural has. But I saw someone mention earlier in this thread that some fish are bad too? The problem is we have no way of knowing what makes our kities flare up until we try everything. Im hoping that just doing fish only (and not poultry) helps Vigo.
Despite the cliche of fish-loving cats, a steady intake of seafood is actually not a natural feline diet. It does tend to be highly allergenic, among other problems (you can read more here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...ngerousforcats). The company that makes California Natural (Natura), also makes a line of canned food called Innova Evo 95% meat with novel proteins like duck or venison. If the store you get the C.N. at doesn't have any in stock, perhaps they can order some in for you. Another good canned food is By Nature Organics turkey, if Vigo does okay with turkey. There are no other problematic grains or vegetables in it, just turkey and vitamins. Good luck with your quest!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Reader212

Eosinophilic granuloma complex in cats

Hi everyone:

I'm the owner of two naughty but cute cats Honey and Sugarfoot---who are about 14 months old. My beloved Daisy, a nine year calico, passed away last July 30, 2007 with lots of medical problems and I still miss her greatly. Believe it or not I adopted the two sister kittens the day after Daisy passed.

One of them, Sugarfoot (grey shorthair tabby) has the eosinophilic granuloma complex. I didn't know about it until after these sores appeared around her mouth last August about 2 weeks after she was adopted.

The Vets that I have seen are at a loss on how to treat this except with cortisone shots.One of them has said it's the worst he's ever seen. She's been getting treated with steriods like prednisone shots which has me worried about Sugar getting diabetes. The shots work temporarily, but at what price?

Right now after her last bout of shots (done on April 15)---I vowed to try to find something else. because I knew the shots would wear off. These shots make her lethargic and not her old playful self. The possible side effects of these shots are worrisome.

Well, at the beginning of June the sores started appearing again around her mouth from her whiskers to her right eye. I started using a homeopathic remedy Miliary Eczema (5 drops in the mouth every 8 hours). It can even be placed in food --no know side effects. An acquaintance of mine has a cat with the same rodent ulcer problem and she has been treating her cat since January this way.

It's only been about two weeks and there is some definite improvement. The area is still red but it seems to be helping somewhat. Because Sugar's case is so severe, I'm not sure that the eosinophilic granuloma will ever go away completely---but the Miliary Eczema remedy is helping. (There's one for female cats and another for male cats).

I'm also using Vet approved sterilizing pads that you can use on the inflamed area. I'm searching for a Vet approved cream now to treat sore inflamed areas.

I may bring Sugar in to the Vet this week to see if the red inflamed area is infected--and get that treated maybe with antibiotics. But I'm trying to stay away from those shots.

Unless there is a cure, I've also come to the conclusion that she'll probably be on the homeopathic remedy for the rest of her life---as this ulcer will probably still happen but hopefully not as severe as before. (I'll go back to the shots only if it gets really bad).

Hope I've helped someone get more ideas on how to help their cat..

PS The Vet has had Sugar change to Prescription Diet Z/D dry and canned, but I don't think this has done anything to help...Sugarfoot and Honey are on Z/D for good now only because I think it's good for them!
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader212 View Post
PS The Vet has had Sugar change to Prescription Diet Z/D dry and canned, but I don't think this has done anything to help...Sugarfoot and Honey are on Z/D for good now only because I think it's good for them!
Sorry to hear about Sugarfoot's problems, and I hope the homeopathic remedy continues to work for her. I do have a question about your kitties diet: what were they eating before the Z/D? The reason I ask is that diet plays such a huge role in so many aspects of feline health that in most cases it should be the first thing to evaluate when something's off-kilter. For starters, cats shouldn't be eating dry food. Shocking, I know, but kibble is filled with inappropriate ingredients for an obligate carnivore, Hill's Z/D being no exception (in fact, Z/D is one of the worst, with brewers rice as the first ingredient, and preservatives like Ethoxyquin and BHA - suspected carcinogens that most other pet food companies have stopped using).

The best thing you could do for both your kitties would be to find a good quality wet food (raw or canned), with little to no grains, no by-products, no food colouring etc. A novel protein source (ie something she hasn't had before, like venison, duck, quail, rabbit....) for Sugarfoot may help if food allergies are the source of her rodent ulcer. If you'd like to read more about how to feed your cats better, check out this link: http://www.catinfo.org/ And please, stop feeding your cats Z/D, especially if it isn't doing anything to help Sugarfoot (love her name, by the way).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Reader212

Sugarfoot's Diet

When they lived with their foster mom for about 3 months, Honey and Sugar were eating the Science diet canned food. When they moved in with me I tried different foods---and settled on the Green Peas & Duck formula (dry & canned) by Royal Canin for several months as recommended by the Vet.

After several months, the Vet recommended the Z/D food for Sugar, which she and Honey have been on for several months. He said to stay away from cat treats.

What is the best protein based food brand do you recommend? And does she have to have a prescription type food from the Vet?

And the other thing is that Honey & Sugar love grazing on dry food during the day. Is there any special high protein dry food for cats?

Not completely sure, but we also think that her eosinophilic granuloma is from an insect bite(s) when she was a stray kitten. So far changing her diet doesn't seem to do any good at this point in time in getting rid of those ulcers. But if there is something you can recommend both dry and canned, let me know---and I'll give it a try.
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Reader212

What's a Good food choice for Sugarfoot?

Thanks, Sugarcatmom for the link. There's so many good choices of food for cats with protein here on that website---I would not know what exactly to choose. Is there any dry food and canned food you can safely say is OK for Sugar?
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What is the best protein based food brand do you recommend?
Some good ones that I feed my own cat are Wellness (look for the little yellow triangle on the can that says "grain-free"), By Nature Organics, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Innova Evo 95%. The last 2 brands have novel protein flavours like duck, rabbit or venison.

Quote:
And does she have to have a prescription type food from the Vet?
No, and you'd probably be surprised how little most vets actually know about feline nutrition. Most of these "prescription" diets were formulated to treat disorders that were caused by feeding lousy food in the first place. So hey, here's an idea: Let's feed our cats the way nature intended, instead of just reorganizing a bunch of awful ingredients into yet another highly rendered so-called "food". http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...food-and-vets/

Quote:
And the other thing is that Honey & Sugar love grazing on dry food during the day. Is there any special high protein dry food for cats?
Grazing is a natural way for cats to eat (think of them catching several mice, birds, lizards, etc in a day). But it doesn't have to be on dry food. It's perfectly fine to leave canned food out for them. You can add a couple tsps of water to prevent it from drying out, or you can freeze portions of it in an icecube tray and then let it thaw out in their dishes over the course of the day. If they really love canned food and tend to eat it all at once, perhaps an automatic feeder would help space out their portions.

Quote:
Not completely sure, but we also think that her eosinophilic granuloma is from an insect bite(s) when she was a stray kitten. So far changing her diet doesn't seem to do any good at this point in time in getting rid of those ulcers. But if there is something you can recommend both dry and canned, let me know---and I'll give it a try.
Yup, it's entirely possible that this is caused by factors other than food (such as flea allergy, environmental allergy etc). But since food is such a building block in overall health and a bad diet can upset the whole apple cart, resulting in sensitivities to things the cat should normally be able to handle, I still think providing the best diet possible is a good place to start. And no dry food falls into that category, I'm afraid.

Old July 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Post Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

Hi I stumbled on this site when I was looking up ECG.
One of my "stray" cats was diagnosed with ECG about 1 1/2 years ago (Dec-06). I took her to the vet in Jan-07 and she was treated with Prednisone tablets and Enrovet injection and I was given some tablets to complete the treatment after I took her back home. Being a "stray" it was a nightmare trying to complete the treatment, so I took her back to the vet in Feb-07, she was given a Depomedrol injection.

The problem cleared up and I thought all was fine, until the problem returned about Jan-08. I put off taking her to the vet.... hoping that the problem would take care of itself.... but it did not... it got worse.

Sometime ago I had "physical condition" and I came across an item on the internet about yogurt and some of its benefits. I tried it and it worked for me. About the sametime I was trying yogurt for my condition, Mercer ( my Siamese/mix) could not keep his nose out of it. I called my vet to get the OK. She said it should be OK in "small" amounts.

The reason I bring this up, is because I decided to experiment with yogurt on my "stray" with the ECG problem. I did not want more medication in her system. Guess what........ It seems to be working!!!!!! I started treating her with YOGURT on 21-Jun-08 and the area has shown a REMARKABLE improvement. I am so pleased with the results.

Ofcourse, I have to see if the benefits will be long term. She LOVES yogurt too and I intend to continue giving her small amounts from time to time.
Does anyone have any facts about yogurt and cats????
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Reader212

Eosinophilic granuloma complex update

That's interesting to hear about yogurt...What kind of yogurt, how much and how often do you give your cat the yogurt?

I might give it a try. I know that since June 2nd (it's now July 21st) I have been using the Natural Homeopathic Remedy, Miliary Exzema which is available under the category of Homeopathics (cats) at the website shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/homeopathics.html.

So far, it is working well. I give Sugarfoot about 3 drops 3 times a day. This works best with cats that get the sore under their chin & spreads. No more reoccurance of this awful sore. She's nice & energetic---with occasional minimal outbreaks.

Still, I may try the yogurt too.
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex and Yogurt

I used a plain, low fat yogurt "Anchor" (1-888-991-5615) first, then switched to a plain, fat free, unsweetened yogurt "La Yogurt" (www.johannafoods.com). The cats seem to prefer "Anchor" yogurt, but eat which ever is given. I am sure another brand can work.

In the first two weeks I gave it once every third day, as I did not know how the cat's system would respond to it. Then I changed to approx.every other day. Now that her skin has cleared up, I try to give her 2-3 days a week.
I give her a full spoon full each time. However, if I see her ( without skipping any days), I give her a little less eachtime over that period. The cat receives no other treatment for the EGC.

Since I started giving her the yogurt (21-Jun-08) the area has cleared up beautifully. If you do give it a try, maybe you should do so after you have ended the current treatment your cat is now on. Also, I would like to know if it has the same effect on your cat.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Interesting. I'll let my daughter (krazy4kittens) know about yogurt. Any idea what in the yogurt helps, maybe the probiotics that it contains?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Orange cat lover

Wow...Yogurt?

Hi!
My cat also has EGC & looking for natural cure for it.
Yogurt sounds very interesting.
My only concern is that some cat has food allergies against dairy products & I haven't figured out if my cat is one of those kind or not.
But if it seems to work for some cats, it worth a try in the future for my cat too. Please keep it updated
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM

This is an awesome thread.

I have a five year-old tailless Siamese. She has the worst EGC I have ever seen/heard of. Her entire neck is raw. We have tried everything, including surgery to remove the entire open sore and Ovaban (contraceptive though she is fixed) and nothing helped. I have been looking for natural remedies. I will try the yogurt. Her digestive system is tricky though thanks to Manx Syndrome. I am also interested in the Miliary Eczema.

I will keep everyone posted and I think we need to keep this thread current. I will not condemn my cat to a life of steroid shots and vets seem to be at a loss.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Yogurt - it's worth a try.

My cat has had so many depo shots and liquid steroids plus antibiotics for EGC _ I'd have to look at her records to count them all.

One question- is yogurt sufficient for her nutrionally?

I read someplace to keep the cat away from plastics and use glass feeding dishes, so I'm going to try that, too. Hope that helps someone else here with the same problem.

Thanks,
Smokyie
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyie View Post
One question- is yogurt sufficient for her nutrionally?
Not as the mainstay of her diet, but as a supplement it's fine. No more than 10% of her meals.

What does your cat typically eat?

Old September 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I've had her on Purina dry food. My vet is getting at a loss of what to do next.

A couple of weeks ago I had her wound completely cleared up - (she had been dressed in a little romper suit) and on liquid steroid every second day.

As soon as she was out of that she dug at it again and now it's infected.

So, she just got another shot and antibiotic.

May I ask what you feed besides some yogurt?

Thanks for answering.

Smokyie
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've had her on Purina dry food. My vet is getting at a loss of what to do next.
I can tell you what to do next ! Get her off the dry food. Find a good quality wet food that DOES NOT come from a grocery store or a vet clinic. A novel protein (something she hasn't had before, like venison or duck or rabbit) might be a good idea, but just changing from poor quality dry to a good canned should really help. Raw would be even better but that takes a fair bit more research unless you can find some of the pre-packaged frozen products like Nature's Variety.

Some of the better canned varieties are Wellness, By Nature Organics, Innova Evo 95%, Nature's Variety Instinct. These last too have some novel protein flavours. Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea or Duck & Green Pea are also acceptable.

Some more info for you about feline nutrition and why kibble is bad for cats: http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
So, she just got another shot and antibiotic.
It's frustrating (but not surprising) that vets don't know how to look for the source of the problem and just keep throwing drugs at it in an attempt to suppress the symptoms. Continual use of steroids and antibiotics is so not good for your poor kitty. Good nutrition is the building block of good health, and many cat's develop over-active immune responses from being fed inappropriate (ie grain-filled, high carb, overly processed, dry) food for their entire lives. So the first thing to do is feed them what they were designed to eat: MEAT! With very little or no plant matter, and at least 60% moisture.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Old September 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Ok, I'm going to town today and see what I can find in the way of a better food. I know all those steroids are not good for her.

I'll let you know how it's going,
thanks.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Ok, I got her some canned Iams, Evo and Merrick - I've never heard of the last two brands. None of them contain chicken.

Also, I took the plastic eating/drinking dishes away. I didn't tell her she is really drinking out of a glass planter!

I have been to three veterinarians, one sold me some "Z-D" brand dry food but that didn't seem to help her problem. None of them recommended taking away the dry food.

Thanks for your ideas.

Smokyie
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

I'm just checking back in to say she is doing pretty well on "California Natural" canned food. It is 9% protein with 78% moisture content.

She hasn't had a flare up since I put her on it about about two weeks ago.
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Orange cat lover

Yogurt update anyone?

Hi!
Any of the people who is trying yogurt for your kitty has any update?
Please keep posting....hopefully some good news.
Thank you!
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM

My 11-year-old Tannis (tortoiseshell) has a mild form of this, I suspect. The vet hasn't called it such, but told me she could have a cortisone shot if it got worse. It didn't; the lesions are small and intermittent and she doesn't have the raw areas on her legs.

When I started reading this thread, she had a puffy lower lip - first time that's happened. I immediately switched from my neat little plastic feeding bowls to stainless steel or ceramic. The "lip" went away.

I'm trying my two (Gollum as well) on EVO dry "ancestral diet" and both EVO and Wellness canned food. I was excited the first day because Gollum especially seemed to like the wet food ... but now he's not eating it with much appreciation. And Tannis - well, she is less than impressed. She wants Friskies salmon or tuna, period. When I say "no" she gives me a stony glare and stalks away. I bought Velcote and tried that on her food. No dice. I used a mouth syringe to give it to her orally and she immediately spat it out and threw up in protest.

I'm on a limited budget and can't afford too many more rejections of these pricey foods. But for now, I persevere. And the plastic era is over.

Brenda
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Mine initially liked the EVO and Wellness canned and then rejected it, too.

Ginkgo's symptoms have been so much better of late. No big lip for a long time and the only lesions she has is small ones on her hamstring area. I know they must not feel great as she doesn't like me to touch them. When I first got her the lesions on her neck were pretty bad and they have been non-existent for almost a year and a half now.

For me I try to keep her life as stress free as possible, keep the diet clean and keep her immune system strong.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:55 PM

I cured my cat of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (Rodent Ulcers) without steroids and

I immediately stopped feeding my cat low-grade cat food because it causes allergies. I stopped feeding my cat Fancy Feast wet food [100 percent and permanently] and substituted Nature's Recipe no grain chicken or Nature's Recipe no grain chicken/turkey wet food. Nature's Recipe comes in a plastic tub. I also add a couple of tablespoons of homemade distilled water to each wet food meal because my cat doesn’t like drinking city tap water from a bowl. I drink homemade distilled water because I believe it’s healthier than city tap water. I also kept him on Authority cat dry food, grain free, chicken and potato. I also put five drops, twice a day, of Life Gold, a cat cancer medicine from Pet Wellbeing in his wet food. I also put five drops of Milk Thistle, twice a day, from Pet Wellbeing, in his wet food, for his liver, due to the possible steroid liver damage and possible Fancy Feast liver damage. I also quit giving my cat meals containing fish due to the mercury content that can cause liver damage and allergies. I also quit giving my cat cheap food treats like Temptations and switched him to healthier treats like Wellness treats.
I also use stainless steel plates and bowls and clean them after each meal. I also made sure he didn’t have a flea problem. I also use World's Best Cat Litter made from corn.
Within a month all signs of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (Rodent Ulcers) are gone and my cat looks and feels great.

Some history: My indoor/outdoor male neutered cat started chewing his paw much of the time until it was bleeding much of the time. I took him to a vet and the vet said that he had developed a growth on his paw. My cat was semi sedated for this examination procedure which was an added big inconvenience when I got my cat home. The vet diagnosed my cat as having Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. My cat was given a steroid injection and an antibiotic injection that seemed to shrink the growth and cure him within a week but the injections made him uneasy for a few days. The growth came back in a couple of weeks and another injection of steroid was given but this time it did not shrink the growth so the vet prescribed surgery. Also my cat had also developed a pink growth on his upper lip which is another symptom of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (Rodent Ulcers disease). It didn’t make any sense to me to have surgery on his paw especially with a new growth on his upper lip. Also, unnecessary surgery on a paw for an indoor outdoor cat or any cat would be disastrous. I did some reading and Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex is generally caused by an allergy to something. I tried to tell the vets this but they quit returning my calls. It was clear that the vet got the diagnosis correct but both vets at this facility were severely lacking in curing the underlying disease. In my opinion, prescribing surgery for this type of Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex is tantamount to ‘unaware criminal behavior’. Both vets need to learn more about holistic medicine.