Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Energetic small dog breeds?

I've been thinking about getting a second dog for a while now, but can't decide what kind to get. My current dog is a 15 month old 70lb mutt (some sort of lab mix). She is very energetic, so I would like my second dog to be energetic too so they can play together. However, I was hoping on getting a smaller dog (25-30 lbs max) and was wondering what sort of small dog breeds have a lot of energy and will play with big dogs? I'm looking for a big dog in a small dogs body!

I've been looking at the Jack Russells, and am drawn to their high energy and intelligence. However, I have also heard JRTs are not good with cats due to their hunting instincts (I plan on having cats one day in the future). Can these instincts be stopped if properly socialized with cats as a puppy? I have also been considering a Boston Terrier or Border Terrier. Does anyone know of any other high energy dogs in a small body, or know of any information on either of these three breeds?

I would prefer getting a rescue dog, if I can find the right one, and I don't mind if it's a mix. I would just like to know which kind of mixes to look for. I would like a dog that is energetic throughout its lifetime too, not just as a puppy!

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Eskimos are very high energy dogs and mine at least - while suffering from Small Dog Syndrome - does play with all of the big dogs at his weekly socialization class. He weighs 22 lbs. - fully grown - was 11 lbs. at 13 weeks - will turn 18 months next week. He is a mini standard. A full standard can weigh maybe up to 35 lbs. My pup will be a baby if he lives to be 17. Not an easy breed though - very intelligent. He does get along particularly well in controlled circumstanes - i.e. at socialization, training class - we have never had a dog visit at home. His main friend when he is boarded is a Husky mix. His friends at socialization are Boxers, Weims, Labs, etc. But since he feels short he loves to hold on to the short haired necks of these dogs - the Bernese Mountain Dog and the Husky find this a little easier to take. He also plays well with like sized dogs. I wouldn't want to see him play with a Yorkie - plays way too rough. Eskimos do have some prey instinct - but not to extent of Terriers. Although my 22 lb. cowardly cat might disagree - my Eskie does love him - just plays as rough as the cat. My mini Dachshunds were a form of Terrier (high prey drive for vermin) loved our cats - no problems - but my understanding from speaking with people with Jack Russells is that the prey drive is stronger when it comes to cats. Of course every pet is different and I am sure there are some Jack Russells who love cats. However, I would never have brought a baby Dachshund into the house with an adult mini Dachshund - if you have seen a baby Dachshund they look way too much like mice. For that matter would not have brought an 8 week old Dachshund into the house with a cat, for same reason. Eskimos do have a tendency to be very aggressive - and like every single other pup these days it would seem - suffer from separation anxiety. But if you want a high energy, small dog - this would be a good choice. Just would try to keep over 20 lbs. I am very nervous about the "shrinking" of dogs due to genetics. Save a "teacup and a 1/2" Dachshund in NY - maybe weighed 4 lbs. I felt sick. On a further note, I know you are only thinking about adopting at this time, but with current Canine Flu hanging over our heads, it might help to keep thinking a bit longer. I am worried.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Minpins are definitely high energy, small and can handle being around big dogs. One thing to remember is that small dogs can be yappy so living in an apartment might not work as neighbours may complain.
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the advice Snowdancer, I will definitely look into Eskimos!

BMDluver, as of next summer I'll be moving out of the apartment and into a real live house and am not planning on getting a second dog until I have moved etc. But I'm thinking about it now because i really want to choose the best dog for my situation and that can take time and a lot of research! In the meantime I am going to foster dogs to make sure I can really handle two bundles of joy (btw, any news on a hypo-allergenic dog in need of a home? )
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Kayla, you would definitely want to be in a house with an Eskimo. Actually even smaller dogs are major barkers. Eskimos are Alert - and you Protect - but will bark when they hear something disturbing. My 10 lb. Dachshunds were Alert and Protect Mommy at all costs! No small dog syndrome there - just the opposite - although these days they are breeding them with milder temperaments. I like the Alphas. The one very true thing I did read about Eskies is that they do not have doggy odor - oh I miss miss "eau de hound". It is very true - but they are fluffy - especially when you are used to a short haired dog head on your pillow. But when WET, they do smell. They are also white which is a bummer, but mud brushes easily from their coats and the furry/hair (almost like Persian cat hair) stops growing so grooming is not a monthly thing. If you look at Shelters, Eskies do not do well in Shelters so true personality may not be apparent and dog might also fail "the temperament test". For this reason many Eskie Rescues pull them from Humane Societies. Health wise there are not that many known conditions as yet. But as they become more popular, and genetic mucking about takes place - apparently Teacups are being bred -this will change. They do have good teeth and incredible jaw strength - "hint" - my guy has the grip of a 50 lb. dog. I also do not care for the mixing of Eskie with Poodles, Spaniels, Dachsunds! My guy's current girlfriend is a young Boxer. Fortunately he was neutered at 7 months - somehow I can't see a Box-A-Mo!
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a big dog in a small dog's body. He's a basenji-mix. Basenji's are only 20-30lbs, and VERY energetic. My guy is a mix, so he's about 10lbs heavier. I have 2 cats, and he loves them, but keep in mind, I got him at 8wks old, so I've taught him to live with the cats. Not all basenji's are good w/ cats - they have a high prey drive, but can be taught.

My pup has a gf, who is a big black lab, they play wonderfully together, for HOURS on end.

as you know, no dog is hypo-allergenic, but basenji's shed minimally, they have very short hair, and no "doggy" smell. They also don't bark - doesn't mean they are mute - they make a yodel type sound instead. Since my guy is a mix, he does both, barks & yodels.

They are a very independant breed and can be troublemakers, but clicker training (positive reinforcement) has worked great for my guy.

I've seen many basenji-mix's available on petfinder in the states, not sure about your area though.
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Jack Russels, like many other terriers, can be very dog aggressive. Yes a puppy raised with a kitten might be okay, but their hunting instincts are very strong.

Bostons, with their facial formations, cannot take much hot weather or too much exercise.

IF you want a high-energy, medium small young dog who LOVES to play with other dogs, you might want to check out our Border collie mix, Harry Potter. He's a puppy and will chase cats to play with him, but he is not aggressive towards them.
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM

My Jack Russell Terrier is super high energy. She loves playing with big dogs and can keep right up (sometimes will tire them out). They are a great breed, as long as you understand some of the quirks. Jacks only get a max height of 14" at the withers.

Roxy's best friends are a Rotti-Dobi X, and a Catahoula X.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I agree with Lucky, If you have cats you pretty much have to get a puppy or find one that has already lived with cats. They need to be taught that cats are not their prey.

Another very high energy small breed to look into would a Shibu Inu. I have met a few of these dogs and the seem to have boundless energy and a great disposition.
Salem - DSH

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; September 28th, 2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added a coment
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Here's one no one has mentioned - the Beagle. These guys have play drive to spare but offer some personality variety from the types you are looking at now. Really depends on what kind of dog you like - I'm a sporting dog type myself so my prejudice is showing. To even things out I will also suggest the "bat eared" corgi (two varieties) who make me laugh when I look at them. They are an active herding type. I would add however that beagles are readily available at a shelter near you - some of the more exotic breeds like corgis or basenjis might not be.

Mel
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximellion
Here's one no one has mentioned - the Beagle.
Mel
I agree wholeheartedly with the Beagle suggestion. Kayla (52lb, 2 yr old pitbull) plays with a neighbourhood Beagle, Chloe (2 yrs old), and Chloe far outlasts Kayla in the energy department. They have extremely playful personalities. She likes to take her ball to Kayla, tease her with it, and then she runs like hell with Kayla chasing after her. As I said, Kayla always gives up the chase before Chloe, and Chloe can play that game for hours.

Me and Kayla
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What small breed isn't high energy???
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

How about a Chihuahua?
Mine is super high energy, though not as crazy as a Jack russel.
She loves to run, is faster than most other dogs she has raced with,
and is NOT yappy at all. However that is because I cannot stand a yappy dog and would not put up with it when she was a pup at all.
All dogs can be trained not to bark if you have consistency and patience.
Long haired Chihuahuas are very lovely.
When we got given ours, we thought she was a mini eskie.
She is about 10 pounds, so pretty small.
I shave her in the summer, and she hasnt grown her full coat back yet in this pic:

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Beagles are great little dogs with a lot of energy. But, they are not for everyone. There are two varieties, the 13" and 15". They are generally good with kids, other dogs and cats. As puppies, they can be very destructive when bored. Some can be hard to housebreak and they have the tendency to be stubborn and vocal. They love to howl, especially when excited or bored. They will follow their noses and for this reason can't be trusted off leash. Their noses tend to get them into trouble too! Many counter surf and raid the garbage. Your food is theirs, so they think! They are very intelligent even though many people don't give them credit for that, those are obviously people who have never had the pleasure of living with one. They are extremely good at problem solving and will find away to get what they want, especially if it happens to be your chicken dinner on the counter! They also tend to shed, alot! They love to give kisses and are very happy little dogs.

My beagle, Misty, was very easy to housebreak, but boy can she be stubborn! She was also extremely easy to train the basics, getting her to do them all the time is another story. Although, if she knows that you have a little tidbit, she will do anything and everything she has been taught, even will invent some new moves, just to get the snack! She will also try to bully people into getting what she wants. She loves other dogs and is extremely playful, even at 9 years old! She has a large amount of energy and tires out everyone before she is tired! She loves cats, in fact, she lets our cat knock her over! She is a little oversized for a beagle standing at 15 1/2" and weighing 32lbs.

There are many beagles in shelters and rescues do to people purchasing them on impulse due to their very cute puppy stage, but don't realize the work involved in raising one. I would strongly suggest adoption if these little guys if you find that they would suit you and your lifestyle.
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Just keep in mind that just because certain small breeds may have the energy to keep up with your big dog, doesn't mean they are tough enough to play. I would look for something that is not going to be easily hurt by a big dogs paws and such.
Salem - DSH

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's_MA
Just keep in mind that just because certain small breeds may have the energy to keep up with your big dog, doesn't mean they are tough enough to play. I would look for something that is not going to be easily hurt by a big dogs paws and such.
Right! Toy breeds like Chis are much too fragile to play with a 70lb dog. No matter how nice the big dog, just one misplaced paw could mean a broken bone or worse for a tiny dog!
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with making sure dog is sturdy enough to withstand rough play. I would not let my 22 lb. Eskimo play with a Yorkie or similar sized dog - he would not mean to hurt the dog, but Eskimos play rough and are very strong. There are a couple of Australian Terriers on his route to socialization and since they do in fact resemble "big" Yorkies, he doesn't quite understand why I hold him back from a small Yorkie. Actually I at first thought they were Yorkies - especially the one who jumped into the car to have her way with him - 4 times.
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb's Lucky Rescue
Right! Toy breeds like Chis are much too fragile to play with a 70lb dog. No matter how nice the big dog, just one misplaced paw could mean a broken bone or worse for a tiny dog!
Actually, at the last place we rented there were 7 big dogs, collies and collie crosses, and 1 red healer, and Muffin would play with them almost every day.
She is not exactly what I would called a "fragile" dog, however she is 10 pounds, not the average tiny 3-4 pound chi.
The funniest thing was watching her with a massive rottie that visited, he had to be about 125 pounds, and my tiny Muffin was basically climbing him and rolling all over him, and havin the time of her life. He couldnt even catch up to her no matter how hard he tried!
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I know two dogs who are absolute best friends. One is a little chi and the other is a great dane. The dane is so gentle with the chi, they're adorable together! Especially since they are the same colour, so it's like the dane and his mini-me!!!
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:08 PM
AmInaL

Mini Schnauzers are tough little buggers, and soooo cute too! I've seen alot of puppies in rescues from puppy mills on petfinder.

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:28 PM

I have to agree with Snowdancer and second the Eskimo suggestion. My Phil is 11 months old and 21 pounds and is a small standard. She is VERY energetic and easily stands up to the bigger dogs at the dog park. One of her "best friends" is a cane corso. She's not a big yapper but I've heard other eskies are. I swear she is self cleaning she can roll around in a mud puddle and all she needs when she is dry is a quick brush and the dirt all falls out. I also agree with the strong jaws. Phil can chew apart anything she puts her mind to.
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM

My dad has a "parson's" Jack Russell- he's 25lbs. He plays with the big dogs like a big dog and was only hurt once (he played with a VERY uninterested Akita). He stayed with my bro's pitty for a while and bit a piece of his ear off (the jack bit the pitty...) but they're still best friends.. They can be weird, but if you are firm and consistent and commit to running them a LOT every day, you should have no trouble.

Beagles are pretty great with other dogs, but the ones I know are not as robust in a way as the Jacks I know... But they are just as fun. They also need to have tons of exercise.

Here's my dad's spoiled doggy.. He's really sweet. He was abandoned because he doesn't like babies... (Unless they are the main course, of course. )
Attached Images

Old September 28th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Personal servant to Joey

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/englishcocker.htm

How about a Cocker spaniel, they are sturdy pretty energetic and not too small, the english is around 27 pounds and the american is a bit smaller. I love mine. They are smart and learn quickly too, although they are known to be stubborn at times. The worst part is the grooming and keeping things from getting stuck in their fur.
Attached Images

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!

Last edited by Joey.E.CockersMommy; September 28th, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! I've looked up the breeds suggested and think they are all adorable!

I find myself leaning towards the JRT still, but the dog/cat aggression could be a problem, as I plan on getting cats, and go to the park often with other dogs. Are they still dog aggressive even when well socialized? I guess it's the whole nature vs nurture thing, how easy is it to train out aggression and cat hunting? Also, is there a difference between a JRT and a Parsons JRT? Also, is there a "long haired" JRT or would this just be a wire haired one that hasn't been clipped in a while?

Beagles are a close second for me. My biggest problem with them is the not being able to trust them off-leash. I do a lot of walking in the woods, and don't like using leashes. Kayla never wanders far and comes back when called but my brother has a hound mix who will disappear into the bush on a scent and only return on his own terms, which can be very scary when you aren't sure just what type of animal he is following!

I think Chihuahuas and min pins are adorable too, but I have met so many neurotic (and unhousebroken) ones so I've been kinda turned off them. I'm also worried about their fragility...

I can't seem to find much info on eskimos for some reason, especially the small variety. Are they a newer breed?

Deb I had looked at Harry Potter, the collie/lab, before. If I were going to get a bigger dog it would probably be a border collie mix. If only they had "mini" border collies My biggest issue with size is that I travel a lot so fitting two big dogs in a car, on a plane etc can be difficult. Ideally the dog I get would fit comfortably on a lap.

So many choices. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them!
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

What about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They only get to be about 30 lbs and 16 inches high. Or a Schnauzer. I used to have one. Lived to 14. Had the energy of a puppy his whole life.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla
BMDluver, (btw, any news on a hypo-allergenic dog in need of a home? )
All passed but one who is very old and too sick to help so they will pts him. There's a bouv pup, 7 mths old, about 40 lbs that we are presently working on. I have not forgotten.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I think well socialized JRTs are ok. My dad's isn't aggressive, he just gets carried away.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM

If you socialize a exercise a Jack they shouldn't be a problem. Roxy gets along better with other cats than my own, and she loves absoulutly every dog she meets. Her whole body and tail start wagging. I socialized Roxy with lots of other dogs, ever since she had the rabies shots.

Here is a picture of Roxy and her big old bud Lady- our neighbors dog. She doesn't hold back at all, although poor lady is 11 and sometimes tires out pretty fast.
Attached Images

Salem - DSH

Old September 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Don't Jacks need an excessive amount of excercise??? My friend had one (she just lost him due to some hip problems) and I swear she would take him out walking about 6 times a day. I don't know. I've never personally owned one, so I'm just wondering. They are pretty energetic little guys.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Yes, I would say compared to the exercise my friends give their various breeds of dogs, I exercies her excessively. We go for two long walk a day, about 10 short walks, and vigourous play inside the house. The harder you exercise them, the less you need to exercise them. They have very active minds, if they don't get enough exercise they will make there own fun, this usually comes in the form of aggression or destruction.

Just a side note, I have lost 35lbs since getting Roxy last December. All from the exercise.
Salem - DSH