Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Alternatives to Acana

I have a 5 month old German Shepherd named Lola. She had been on Medi-Cal large breed puppy food. Countless friends and people on this website have suggested that MediCal isn't a particularly good food so I had started to transition Lola over to Acana's puppy food. I had been doing this slowly and gradually, but the moment I introduced Acana, her stools became softer to the point over the past several days she had serious diarhea. I fed her MediCal last night and again this morning and her stools are suddenly solid again.

I understand that there are a lot of better foods out there than MediCal. Can anybody suggest a good alternative to Acana? My town has both a Global Pet Foods and a PetValu, so I have options. My budget is a bit tight which is why I liked the Acana - GPF was selling it for $60/bag roughly while the Vet was charging $80/bag for the same size. However, I will spring for the right food if it's in the best interests of my Pup.

Thanks
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM

It may take a while for your pup to get used to the food - how long have you been giving it? Also, keep in mind you wont' have to feed as much as you were feeding of the other (over feeding can cause tummy troubles).

That all said - it may end up being too rich for your pup. There are lots of great alternatives out there - but it depends if you want to stick with grain-free or grain-inclusive.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

The debate is grain or no grain.......when I switched to grain free it took one of my dogs a couple weeks to have normal stools again. However the dog I have now i have decided with grain. She is on Addiction Kangaroo and her coat has improved from the Acana. I do feel the Acana and Orijen is good food. It's personal preference what you want to feed. Vet food....no way.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Yes it may take a while for your dog to get used to the food and it is possible that she will never do great on it. Acana and Orijen can be too rich for some dogs. I would give it a few more weeks before making a decision to switch to some thing else. There are tons of good foods out there now. Taste of the Wild, Go Naturals... just two that come to mind.
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi there

I would be very weary of any food made in a Diamond Foods plant. They include Diamond Naturals, Canidae (though they are in the process of getting their own manufacturing plant, I may try it at that point), Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild and several other "high end" brands. They have had several recalls, and most are very recent. I would also avoid Blue Buffalo, for the same reason. Both of mine actually got sick on the health bars that were recalled, and I was unaware until I had fed them.

I also use Addiction, but I feed the Salmon Bleu, which my boys are doing excellent on (I have one with confirmed allergies/food sensitivities and one with suspected allergies), though the dry food is a very small part of what they get. The Honest Kitchen is what I was feeding, and they were doing excellent on it until we learned he could only have beef. In Canada, you can't get the grain-free beef which is called Love, so we started feeding NRG free-range beef. It's grain-free and potato-free. Just fruits, veggies and beef. It's a dehydrated raw and both my boys are doing amazing on it. No more skin issues and no tummy troubles. Good luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

NRG is great food!!! As well dry food is only part of my dog's meal. She gets "Weruva" canned and any meats I cook and sardines.