Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Switch from raw to Fromm and really missing it...

Well after a two week venture into the world of raw feeding I decided that until I could afford a good qaulity meat grinder that it wasn't for me. I really miss the piece of mind that came along with knowing excactly what I was feeding my pup and have decided to adapt a few concepts from raw feeding to freeding pre made dog foods. For starters I will be feeding 50% canned food along with kibble to allow for more nurtient abosroption as canned foods are not oven baked and lose less nutrients this way. Also Wellness and Fromm do not include any grains in their wet food lines so I can cut down on his carb intake this way as well.

I'm also going to switch around the type of meat every other month or so that he gets to help boost his immune system to both change in diet as well as avoiding common problems like food intolerances which commonly develop over time when feeding strictly one type of meat source.

I also miss the much smaller defecation amounts and really do believe in the results and ideology behind raw diets however right now I simply cannot feed raw whole bones regardless of how safe it is and in the future will grind them up and simply rely on surpervised rec bones, daily teeth brushing and dental toys like kongs and so on to keep his teeth perily white and strong.

Anyways my question was what does everything think about Fromm combined with Wellness 95% turkey wet food to boost the meat to veggie ratio?

Kayla
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM

As long as your doggy doesn't have allergy issues, it's fine, IMO.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Learning fast

Personally I don't think much of the wellness (not wanting to give out false info, but wasn't that a recall?), I found out AFTER I tried it many people had the same issues with vomit and cannon butt.
I was thinking of doing pretty much the same thing but I've kind of comitted a freezer to raw and couldn't face eating all those bones myself .
But your going to a good kibble (only glowing results about fromm), so you have a good base, is wellness really cheap or something?
Did you look into ground raw, theres a place in Toronto thats $25 for about 40-50lbs of chicken backs and necks, added to boneless meat it would still be cheap. A friend in the city has found a butchers that has ground bags of meats and he does the rabbit for 1.10/lb and a duck and turkey one for 99c/lb. I'm waiting for her to get back from holiday to get her to get me 25 lb of each and see how it goes. I can also get a meat organ mix for $35 50lbs from stayner but I had to add in bones to that as it's obviously high in organs
Good luck and let us know how he does.
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hi there. Just to clarify. Wellness canned food was not involved with the Menu Foods recall. Their wet food was/is canned @ Menu Foods though. My pups enjoy Wellness canned on occasion especially the fish. They also like the kibble as well as part of their rotation.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Here's a list of Wellness Ingredients compared to Fromm's, obviously everyone prefers different brands but if you take a good look there almost identical with a few switched around. I do agree many dogs seem to have problems on it though Duke has never been one of them and no Wellness was not recalled, their products are wheat and corn free.

Wellness Chicken Dry Formula:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Fromm Chicken Dry Formula:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, White Rice, Whole Dried Egg, Menhaden Fish Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Tomato Pomace, Safflower Oil, Herring Meal, Cheese, Flaxseed, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

I plan on getting back into raw as soon as I can afford my own qaulity, durable bone grinder so I will never have to worry about not butchers who grind it for you and so on. So maybe by the end of summer but for now Fromm and Wellness wet food will have to do.

Kayla
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

Before wellness frigged with their food last year, we were good on their whitefish one, got cannonbutt when they goofed their formula.. Avoided it like heck, and decided a few months ago to give it a new try since they had fixed their formulas soon after we gave them up. We found we still had cannonbutt. Pleasant 2 months thanks wellness..

Fromms salmon on the other hand was great with no cannonbutt. Soon as the bag is done we're going back to Orijen though.