Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Opinions on a couple of Merrick chew products

Little Baxter is a chewing machine. Like all puppies, he's constantly chewing.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on Merricks Texas Toothpicks (beef tails) and Merricks Puppy Nibbles (Pork Hide). Both are all natural with no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. I've been giving him the texas toothpicks and he loves them.

Cindy
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM

I haven't tried those two but they look ok... Kinda gross, but probably yummylicious for a doggy.

You might want to ask your vet to be sure though. Some of these animal bits can have viruses, parasites and bacteria that a normal healthy adult might fight off, but a puppy's immunity still isn't 100% so he might be susceptible...
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Live well, laugh often

I gave Riley the beef ears from Merricks which he absolutely loved. Unfortunately they used to take him hours as a puppy and now they only last 5-10 minutes :sad: .
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:47 AM

I haven't tried those 2 but did introduce my shih tzu to bully sticks a couple of days ago. Gave one to our great dane also but it only lasted about 20 minutes with her. Within 5 minutes she had the ends crushed and had gone through about 4 inches already. SHe did slow down on it somewhat though. The shih tzu loved hers. It hardly even looks like it has been touched after a day and a half and she has been chewing on it forever. Usually anything she chews on is gone fairly quickly.

The only downside is something gave Neesa some really BAD gas. I am not sure if it was the bully stick or the Merrick's cowboy cookout wet food she had (which she won't have again. Mediterranean banquet didn't even give her gas!) Whichever one it was, it was pretty toxic around her yesterday. Most definately not attractive

Brenda
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Well, I don't want to do pig ears. This breed is known to have sensitive tummies and my previous dogs both loved the pig ears, but they did cause stomach problems. The bully sticks are good and I will get him some from time to time as well. The beef tails he's loving, and no adverse affects. No smell like the bully sticks can have either and the pork hide he loves as well. The pork hide appears to be softer than beef hide, and he just chews them, doesn't appear to be biting off chunks or picking of pieces and eating them (yet), so I'm liking that.

Cindy