Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

How to change over to new food

Got little Baxter yesterday. The breeder starts all her pups on Iams puppy. I want to change him over to Orijen puppy. I've started mixing in a little orijen with each meal, and I have wellness 95% venison, beef and chicken canned to mix in as well, but I haven't started adding the canned yet. Even with the little bit of orijen that I've been adding, his poops are now darker and firmer.
So how much of each should I be adding at a time?

Cindy
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I think it depends on the dog - some can make the change over quickly, in a few days, while others have to take it more slowly.

When switching my two boys to Evo from Dog Chow I did 3/4 Dog Chow 1/4 Evo for three or four days, then half and half for three or four days, then 3/4 Evo and 1/4 Dog Chow for three or four days, and then it was straight Evo. My Beagle has a stomach of steele so he could have made the switch much faster, but my other dog has issues so I took the process very slowly.
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Owned by goldens

How to change over to a new food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissani View Post
I think it depends on the dog - some can make the change over quickly, in a few days, while others have to take it more slowly.

When switching my two boys to Evo from Dog Chow I did 3/4 Dog Chow 1/4 Evo for three or four days, then half and half for three or four days, then 3/4 Evo and 1/4 Dog Chow for three or four days, and then it was straight Evo. My Beagle has a stomach of steele so he could have made the switch much faster, but my other dog has issues so I took the process very slowly.
Yup, that's the way I do a food switch also. With anew puppy I would go even slower or even wait a few weeks before trying a food switch/.
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I agree. Moving is also upsetting, so IMO, it's not a good idea to fiddle with the food yet. I'd wait at least a week, just to be sure the dog is more settled in, and then start...