Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM

FYI: Many food banks will accept pet food donations

After our recent loss (Mac ) I had so much canned dog food sitting in the cupboard that I just couldn't throw away. My humane society will accept food donations, but makes it very clear that they will not feed the shelter dogs this food due to a grant from Hills Science Diet. They must feed Science Diet exclusively. For this reason, I did not want to take my premium, quality food to this facility. I called my local food pantry and was told they happily accept pet food donations. Pet foods are not placed with the other items put a sign is up telling patrons that if they need pet food to ask. I was told that my small donation would help several families whose pets are also needing assistance. I felt this was a nice way to honor the memory of my sweet boy.

So, if you have extra dog or cat food that you can't use, please consider contacting your food pantries. I know all of us are having to count the pennies. Providing for all members of the family is a priority--regardless of the number of legs the family member has. Thank you for reading this.

-ScottieDog (Sandra)
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM

This is also the case in my area, and it is MUCH appreciated by the patrons of the food bank, the foods supplied to pets at the mana food bank is often short lived, as many, many patrons have pets, and take the food home with them, they also accept treats, such as biscuits and pigs ears (etc).

It is a great way to give to pets, help people and help pets in need
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

the one close to me will also take toys, beds anything pretty much to make the pets lives a little more enjoyable..We just took over a garbage bag full of stuff a couple weeks ago.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
~Cat Servent~

I get free bags of food all the time because I buy so much, I should be taking them there! I wondered a while back about that... now I'm gonna check it out for sure! Thanks for the reminder!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

We are no strangers to the local foodbank. We haven't needed it in over a year, thankfully However they will give out big bags of food to anyone in need. One year, during a bad heat wave, they were overflowing with lettuce and collard greens. Once we said we had rats and mice, the women (who also had pet rats) gave us about 50 heads of greens They also gave us three large bags of dog food for them. Helped us out big time!
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Mickey, my angel

Thank you so much for the information, ScottyDog. What a wonderful idea! I don't know why I have never thought of that before. I phoned our food bank here in Winnipeg this morning and they do accept donations of pet foods. As a matter of fact, my heart was warmed by the person's answer when I enquired. His reply was, "We sure do. Pets are people too." What an

For any people who can afford to and would like to help there may be several ways to do so. Here in Winnipeg, our SuperStore has a cage at their exit where people can drop off donations for the food bank so, to save making a trip to the food bank, one could buy one or a couple of cans or bags of kitty and/or dog food and drop it in the cage as they leave the store. It doesn't have to be the best quality, in my opinion; just the best you can afford to give. Starting with next week's grocery shopping, I will try to start getting in the habit of buying some pet food to put in the cage each time I go shopping. Even if you can only afford to do this once in a while, it all adds up.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; October 10th, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added something