Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Pets are Enemies of the Environment!

I have read a few articles lately that I find to be infuriating. In the great debate of whether or not the planet is doomed to heat or cool exessivley, pets have become a target of environmentalists as supposed enemies of the planet. Some have stated that a medium sized dog carries a carbon footprint(paw-print?) larger than that of an SUV. They say this is due to the large amounts of meat that our dogs and cats eat. I find this to be a completely laugable attempt at driving the attention away from the true issue here. I am capable of seeing the problem; that factory farming is a serious issue; an industry that is used in excess by humans since their creation. Feed lots are toxic places, and It's ridiculous that they are releasing these articles, suggesting that we rid the world of pets and somehow that will solve the problem.

If we reduced the number of pets on the planet, we would indeed, reduce the amount of manufacturing facilities dedicated to making pet products, yes. But what about changing the globalization of the market? The millions of pounds of products shipped around the world EVERY day is something these writers aren't going to talk about? Is it easier to make the little guy pay for what big industry is doing? Of course it is.

I'm angered by the fact that the resonsibility for the influence people have on climate change is placed solely on the individual. Yes, I recycle, I take the bus, I do what I can, so why aren't they looking to the real violators, instead of guilting people into more rituals of futility.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091220...inganimalsfood

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...anet-eat-a-dog

All of the supposed violations committed by our beloved pets are committed around the globe by millions of human beings, ten-fold. To point a finger at one aspect of the massive issue - the destruction of the environment, is short sighted and insulting.

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

And I think it is the overpopulation of humans that was causing the degradation of our planet. What global footprint does one rich, spoiled baby have?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
And I think it is the overpopulation of humans that was causing the degradation of our planet.

I agree. I was watching a fishing show and the host mentioned about depleting fish stocks and his exact words were "The population of Canada is growing by the second and it means more toilets, more water usage, and more garbage which leads to more pollution."
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1 View Post
I agree. I was watching a fishing show and the host mentioned about depleting fish stocks and his exact words were "The population of Canada is growing by the second and it means more toilets, more water usage, and more garbage which leads to more pollution."
More land taken up by housing, more wild animal habitat taken up by farmers, more cars on the road causing polution, etc, etc.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
And I think it is the overpopulation of humans that was causing the degradation of our planet. What global footprint does one rich, spoiled baby have?
LOL - don't hold back L4H. In the end, you are absolutely right.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I'm not going to hold back either on this issue, because this really peaves me.
Stop the over population of humans in the world, like stop giving them fertility drugs that cause them to have 8 or more children that they cant take care of. Everyone puts down china for there 1 or 2 kid law, but some of it makes sense. Why do you need more than 2 children if you dont have the money to take care of them and have to go on welfare.
I also dont believe in factory farms. There disgusting. But what is really sad is when the amish have a factory farm.
Why dont we rip down a few more forests without rebuilding them, or rain forests for that matter.
No i am sorry but the human race has no one to blame but there selfs if this world gets trashed. Humans better realize that this world would run just fine with just plants and animals in.
Ok i got my rant out, done.
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

all i have to say is that the human race is selfish and likes to put the blame on others than take it themselves. Easier to pass the buck than pay it yourself. Cats and dogs eat large amont of meat ( most foods are just by-products left over that are not deemed edible for human consumption)......umm how about the family of 14?? And if they are living on veggies then they must be producing methane gas......which affects the ozone.......not only cows produce that.

When is the last time you saw a group of dogs out crusing the boulevard for chicks in a suped up gas guzzling pig of a vehicle?? Or a bunch of cats ripping down a forest for expensive gated communities....or a super store??

Please.............
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM

I like my doggy a LOT more than I like some humans..I'd gladly keep him and...no wait, I better not finish that sentence..lol
Some people just need better hobbies, then wouldn't have time to come up with these articles.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Pet Guardian

just another way for them to justify killing animals.
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Catlover2

Keep your cats indoors!

Humans are enemies of the environment through destruction and fragmentation of habitat, and cats kill millions of birds. Cats are the #1 pet in Canada & the U.S. Diminished land and suitable nesting areas and predation by feral and outdoor cats have taken a terrible toll on our songbird population which has been in a downward spiral for many years. Please do your part and keep your cats indoors, and support environment groups that preserve our enviroment, or one of these days it will be as Rachel Carson said "a silent spring".

http://www.fws.gov/birds/mortality-fact-sheet.pdf

http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=337

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...pets_in_the_US
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a show on TV about a family with 20 kids. There are shows about people over fishing the oceans. There are cars on the road that waste so much gas, and pollute the environment.

WE humans are ruining this planet, with our obsessive need for more more more and bigger bigger bigger. It's not the animals.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
I like my doggy a LOT more than I like some humans..I'd gladly keep him and...no wait, I better not finish that sentence..lol
Some people just need better hobbies, then wouldn't have time to come up with these articles.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

In the end, the only ones to blame are the human race.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
There is a show on TV about a family with 20 kids. There are shows about people over fishing the oceans. There are cars on the road that waste so much gas, and pollute the environment.

WE humans are ruining this planet, with our obsessive need for more more more and bigger bigger bigger. It's not the animals.
Absolutely

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)