Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Awww...so much confusion over flea/tick/heartworm treatment!!!

Hi guys, need some help. With Ginger and Hobo and and last year with Zoey and Raggzy I have always followed the 6-month protocol of Sentinel. Our dogs are outside a lot in the summer and we walk in the woods and they are exposed to everything.

At this year's annual my vet informed me that Sentinel is back ordered (because they found human grade meds mixed in with the pills but that is a whole other thread!!!). Her suggestion is Revolution. I am not a fan of Revolution. Have read too many stories of adverse reactions.

There must be other people here who use Sentinel and Interceptor and coudln't get it...what did you switch to? I really feel like I don't want to make a mistake here.

Thanks for any help!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!

Last edited by diandpat; June 6th, 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Change Heartguard to Interceptor in last paragraph.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Hi guys, need some help. With Ginger and Hobo and and last year with Zoey and Raggzy I have always followed the 6-month protocol of Sentinel. Our dogs are outside a lot in the summer and we walk in the woods and they are exposed to everything.

At this year's annual my vet informed me that Sentinel is back ordered (because they found human grade meds mixed in with the pills but that is a whole other thread!!!). Her suggestion is Revolution. I am not a fan of Revolution. Have read too many stories of adverse reactions.

There must be other people here who use Sentinel and Heartguard and coudln't get it...what did you switch to? I really feel like I don't want to make a mistake here.

Thanks for any help!
Hi! I use to use Revolution. However, my Theo started to have seizures and I am wondering if that was the cause. I never stopped using it on him up to this year because my vet had said that was not the cause. Not so sure about that. This year, I am using Heartgard for Theo. Its does not protect against ticks though nor fleas but I have never seen a flea so not worried about that. Why is Heartgard not available to you??
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

It's Interceptor not Heartguard...sorry.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

diandpat, I am going through the same problems as you are. For some reason Interdeptor is not available here either, my vet suggested that we use Heartgard. I am still researching this prduct and have not given any to Sasha yet. I just don't know if she really needs this.
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM

I drive down to US and buy Frontline at Petsmart.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM

We have only ever given Loki Heartgard in the past. This year, given we've moved to a more wooded area, decided to treat for fleas/ticks but without meds. We use a product from the Cedarcide Store (http://www.cedarcidestore.com/ANIMALHEALTH.html) called Best Yet. So far so good (Although, I just saw that they've come out with an even stronger tick repellent!)
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you get Vectra 3D where you are (only available from your vet, I believe)?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
I drive down to US and buy Frontline at Petsmart.
My vet was telling me the ticks are resistant to frontline , that frontline is no longer any good to keep ticks off your pets.
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It depends on where you are, Barkingdog. It's an emerging problem in the south but so far () it's still pretty effective in the northern tier of states, and one would think, in Canada. I suspect it'll become more of an issue as time goes on, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It depends on where you are, Barkingdog. It's an emerging problem in the south but so far () it's still pretty effective in the northern tier of states, and one would think, in Canada. I suspect it'll become more of an issue as time goes on, though.
I live Massachusetts and because of the very mild winter we had the ticks are worst than ever this year.
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
My vet was telling me the ticks are resistant to frontline , that frontline is no longer any good to keep ticks off your pets.
We don't have Frontline in Canada so our ticks don't know it My vet told me that Revolution has been shown in studies to be useless on ticks unless you use at least double the recommended dosage, no thanks!

I actually only use it when we travel to the states and will be using it if we go to Montreal, I don't use anything while we're in Toronto.