Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 6th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Dog won't drop her poop properly

Hi! I have a three year old poodle/shi tzu rescue dog, Zoey. I've had her since October. She was a dream for about a month and a half and then went through a round of diarrhea which started a round of pooping in the house. After that was cleared up and the vet said she was fine, no intestinal problems, no worms, etc., He suggested sprinkling a little metamucil on her food to keep her regular but said this was behavioral, not medical.

I started a house re-training program. Regular feeding, walking, and treating when she pees outside or poops. She's crated about three hours a day and has worn a doggy diaper around the house when she's not crated to prevent her from going. She was doing really well - no accidents for two weeks so the diaper came off. Then two days ago she pooped on the carpet again. And today she pooped in her crate while I was at work (was in crate about 5 hours).

She will go on her walk, squeeze out a tiny doodee to get her treat and then let the rest hang out of her butt. Either I make her walk a couple of steps and it drops or she sucks it back in. This will go on for days before she drops a proper, full poop. She did the tiny doodee thing this morning and then did a well formed, full poop in her crate. Crate is the correct size according to guidelines.

I'm at a loss of what to do to get her to poop a full poop outside on her walk. She gets walked three times per day, minimum, sometimes more. Walks last anywhere from 5-10 minutes (morning) to 30 minutes (afternoon). She obviously doesn't need a long walk to go poop as she will crouch and start to poop within 5 minutes. She just doesn't finish the poop. Ideas? Should I not treat unless it's a full poop? Should I feed her once a day instead of twice? I'm at a loss here.
Old January 6th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

it sound like she has you trained very good ! You could stop giving her treats and such tell her "Good job or "Good girl"
after she has done a good poop . Poodles are really smart and will try to outsmart their owners. I had a Standard Poodle who was my hearing dog and he got a cookie when tell me know when the phone ring. He tried to get a cookie when I made a phone call once but I didn't fall for it. LOL!
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:02 PM

I stopped treating and got advice on another board to use a long leash so she could go off some on her "own" and poop. Both seem to be working! She is very smart ! Thank you!
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

My poodle didn't like to poop in his own yard and when I took to the woods for walks and let him run he would poop off the trails . I had to go hunt for his poop. He never poop where he had to walk . He was very a very smart and proud dog . I miss him dearly .