Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 1st, 2006, 01:17 PM

All this Diet Talk

I see that many of you are talking about different dog foods. Do any of you have references for the foods your using? I have been in the Pet Food industry for years now, and I have many references. I see a few threads on ingeedents and AFCO definitions. Has anyone ever used RAW diets? I would love to talk about the side effects of different diets out there! Is anyone having probles with thier dogs coat, stool, or other questions about foods on the market today? I jsut love to get a good chat going about foods!!!
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM

I don't understand what you mean by both "I have many references" and what pet food industry you work in that convinces you to feed raw and believe kibble to be disgusting.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:29 PM

i agree...
who are you representing?

we tend to be a pretty well informed bunch on this subject.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

I represent my dog. I own a company making hypo allergenic treats and such. I have an extensive background in pet retail, and I have talked with every major pet food company about their foods and reached a strong opnion on certian topics, diet being on e of them. I train dogs adn have been heavily invlolved in the animal world for years. Many years...this computer stuff is all new to me.

I may not know how to type very well, but I know dogs, that's who I represent.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM

And "PRIN", kibble is disgusting.

If you know what comanies do, you would never even get within 10 feet of the stuff.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Why are you being rude? They just asked a question.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM

Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:10 PM

im not being rude, this is one topic that i feel deeply about. why do you think i started this thread...
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odindog
why do you think i started this thread...
To tell us kibble is disgusting?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM

yes, kibble is disgusting
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM

Ok then.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM

read the post by whats his name there, about "10 secrets pet food companies dont want you to know" there is some good **** in there.

you go buddy, down with corpertate america!!!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

let's all please simmer down - we are here to learn and share.

No need to comment on that statement please.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Have you even read anything on this board under the dog food forum? Maybe if you researched a little you would see that the members of this board are very knowledgable on the subject. Prin is pretty much our kibble guru and Technodoll is pretty much our raw guru. There is nothing wrong with kibble and there is nothing wrong with raw. It just depends on what is the best fit for the individual dog. Some dogs can't handle raw just like some dogs can't handle kibble. Some dogs can only handle purina one. There was a thread not too long ago about an older dog could not handle a switch to holistic food. There is nothing wrong with it. It depends on the system of the dog and it depends on an individuals finances. We do not post rude remarks to people, but rather educate those and allow those people to make their own choices. And to make comments about kibble being disgusting is just plain rude and you are not offering any research to back up your comments. A lot of us feed kibble here. I personally feed Merrick to my dog. What problems do you have with that?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM

hey different strokes for different folks.

that will end it for me

read "food pets die for" available at your local pet book store!

Have a nice night. im off to teach.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Many people pick part of those articles to refere to but still have no understanding about labeling and AFCO food definitions or are more confused by what they mean. a good example if Chicken "meal" most read these articles and think seeing the word "meal" after a meat source is something sinister because they become totally confused by what it means, sadly many oif the anti - kibble sites muddy the water so much that some people are feeding poorer quality kibbles because they don't understand the term.

I know of a few die-hard natural feeders who have been forced reversed their thinking because they adopted dogs that cannot handle raw diets, 3 of them had dogs that became so ill that they almost lost them and they were extremely knowledgeable about raw diets and one was very much like you in their views in how horrible kibble is, and wanting to tell everyone that kibble diets are killing their dogs.

I am by no means saying raw is bad, I know a lots of dogs do well on it, just the same way dogs do outstandingly well on kibbles diets as well. For example the oldest greyhound ever was on a kibble diet she passed away just be her 21st birthday at 18 years old people had took picture of Suzy running on Dewey beach. This picture was taken at 20 years old, whenever she got tired of walking or standing she was placed in her rickshaw. Life expectancy for a greyhound is 12 to 14 years, her owners adopted her as a senior at 10 years old never expectly to have 10 glorious years with her.
there are a few 16 to 18 years olds right now again eating kibble, though their are many people who feed raw to their greyhounds they are not surviving beyond 16, maybe it will happen yet but for now this is enough proof for me that good quality kibble diets are not causing early deaths.

This is what I feed http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...D%271404%27%5D

It is one thing to generalize and say kibble is bad , for all I know you worked for a company that makes OL'Roy and if that particular food brand was under discussion I would agree 100% that it is horrid. Since you have experience in understanding food labels and AFCO food ingredients. I would like you to take a look at the food I am feeding in the link provided and tell me exactly what is specifically bad about it and why.

Last edited by OntarioGreys; August 3rd, 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM

Good post OG.

To me, raw is just like a kibble. You try it and if it works for your dog and for you, great. But if it doesn't work, it's just as bad to continue feeding it to your dog than to feed Ol' Roy. Doesn't matter what goes into your dog if it's making him sick or just generally unhealthy.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I see that many of you are talking about different dog foods. Do any of you have references for the foods your using? I have been in the Pet Food industry for years now, and I have many references. I see a few threads on ingeedents and AFCO definitions. Has anyone ever used RAW diets? I would love to talk about the side effects of different diets out there! Is anyone having probles with thier dogs coat, stool, or other questions about foods on the market today? I jsut love to get a good chat going about foods!!!
Not really sure what it is you're asking for....
Bad side effects of kibble?
What do you mean 'references' for the foods we are 'using' ???

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I own a company making hypo allergenic treats and such.
So what are the ingredient lists of your treats? Can I find them anywhere?