Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Question Litter Box Training?

Hi,
I have a 4 month old ****z-Tzu who is currently using puppy training pads to do her business on. I was hoping to litter train her, but when left unatended she started to eat the litter.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to train her to do this. When I try to put a puppy pad in a litter box or even a tiny box from a case of pop cans she just lies on top of it as if were a bed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Teaching her to hold it until she can go outside is the best plan, and yes, even thoug she's small she can be taught to hold, just maybe not all day right now because she's not old enough.

To give you an idea, my little guy is a 12 lbs mix and he can hold it all night (over 10 hours by his own choosing) and if I can't make it home at lunch he's fine all day. He's over a year old now but has been able to 'hold it' since September (7-8 months old).

Anyway, if for what ever reason that's not an option, try starting with something that doesn't have a lid and is the size of the puppy pad. Slowly shrink the puppy pad area until its the size you want, but I wouldn't make it too small because then she might have to step where she's already made a mess and most dogs don't like that. I personally wouldn't go with something with a cover on it, my cats never took to that and I know my dog certainly never would have. Also since dogs generally like to dig I personally think litter is a bad idea... Get friends to give you newspapers or something if you're trying to cut costs.