Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 11th, 2004, 03:55 PM

HEIDHO I agree with you growing up we had a miniature poodle/runt and she lived to be 19yrs. and overweight!! ate kibble and fried hamburger etc. Also my mother-in-law's ****a-poo also a runt and lived with 3 different members of the family ate reg dog chow and scraps lived till he was 18yrs. was never sick!! The question is do dogs live longer now with the knowledge we have or do they have shorter lives? I am hearing of many dogs now dieing at middle age 6-10yrs. mostly of cancer. It's greatto have all this info. but I feel like I'm going overboard/spoiling my Scottie.
Sue
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I really just dont remmeber all the hype about dog food 15 years ago,and our dog was pretty healthy
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Anywho, you always seem to pick a fight with me in EVERY single post on this forum..and you know what? You're only making yourself look pretty darn bad by dong so. I don't need to argue with you, because there are alot of great people on here that I would be disrespecting...they come here to chat, not to listen to this crap..hence this conversation is finished. I have nothing more to say to you..please do not waste my time, or anybody elses..with your long, boring, bitching. And thank you
I agree. You do pick on pitbulliest in every single post on a thread she's on, when she's not even addressing you!!! I've been following this "feud" you have started with her for a while. Not really following I guess, since you are rude to her on every single thread and everyone here can read it for themselves. I don't appreciate reading your rudeness on every single thread on this board.

If you have nothing nice to say, PLEASE DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! Your negativity has no place here.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Love all creatures

Like I said before, I'm not going to argue...
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinah
Of course not.

Go ahead.

Do you know the meaning of "projection"? Look it up, because that was a classic case of projection on your part.

I knew what you meant - most people here knew what you meant. It's too bad you dislike learning from anyone else.

Quote me then.

Yes, I do. Unfortunately, you don't read them - you just go ballistic.

How do you know what I believe? A reminder dearie, you don't know everything. But then you already know that don't you.

Sorry, it's the other way around. Go back and read your posts to me. If you don't like the responses, you'd better start showing some respect when you direct a post to me.

I simply cannot believe that you have been permitted to post your abusive, disrespectful and slanderous posts for as long as you have been doing.

Actually, this is not the first discussion that YOU have turned into a nasty thread. Quite frankly, it is getting a bit redundant. Respect is a two way street.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Well Dinah, whether you believe it or not, you have been rude not only to pitbulliest, but to everyone who dare opposes anything you say. I have been following your posts and there are rarely any nice ones. Lavender is right, respect is a two way street. You need to give it, to get it.

Your quote to pitbulliest:
Quote:
I knew what you meant - most people here knew what you meant. It's too bad you dislike learning from anyone else.
It would be nice to learn from someone that isn't negative and sacastic. No one can learn anything from you because you are so rude about everything you say. You just make yourself look bad and no one takes you seriously, even when you have a good point.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I simply cannot believe that you have been permitted to post your abusive, disrespectful and slanderous posts for as long as you have been doing.
Ditto from me to you Dinah......
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

You might want to check with Marko to find out who the moderators are.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:58 PM

Hey, easy. I read this thread and others, and you are always the one starting it with pitbulliest. She defends herself, which she has the right to. I would support you if the tables were turned, but you have been picking on her. Go back and read the posts pitbulliest has made to you. I'll bet you that you'll see that you have insulted her and her posts to you were all in self defense.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Chocolate

Dinah, really.

this isn't the place to bash others. this site has rules, and everyone is expected to follow them. even you.

I dont know what u've been posting, and I don't care.

but I'm bored w your negativity.

perhaps this would be a good idea to go and take a walk, cool yourself down.

turn off the computer, and connect to "real life."

I hope then you will see there's better things out there than sitting in front of a monitor, attempting to put others down.
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Pitbulliest started with me over in the BSL thread and hasn't let up.
I just went over that thread, and you started it with her. Here's what you said after she got mad at BTPB for good reason.

Quote:
Naive, gullible, scumbag. Go read the admin's thread on namecalling.
Quote:
Who are you to tell anyone when they are welcome to post in this thread?
She was talking to BTPB, not you, and you still jumped on her. You were quite mean to BTPB yourself, as was I, and it wasn't fair of you to jump on pitbulliest for doing the same. It was all down hill from there and you've been on her ever since.

Anyways, I'm done with this. We're all guilty of being rude now and then, but at least we can admit it. You seem to be blind to your own faults, but no one else's. I'm done with this.
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Well in that case, anyone else want to talk about dog food?
Old October 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Chocolate

ok, here's an update of what I found out today from various pet store associates throughout Toronto.

Eagle Pack: their quality of ingredients is inconsistent. they are the only dog food product that do not have a representative, there are no refunds and if you would like to reach someone for questions/concerns, you get an answering machine.

Timberwolf Organics: wasnt able to located a store that sold this brand

Wellness (by Old Mother Hubbard): actually ended buying the fish/sweet potato type! the serving quantity is greatly reduced for Chocolate's daily diet. w Nutrience, it was 3 1/3 to 4 3/4. Wellness allows me to give Choco btw 2-3 cups!

Wysong: actually, a gentleman in one store along w another co-worker gave this brand the thumbs up.... I saw the bag in another store, but I cant recall why I declined on this selection..

Urban Wolf: looked amazing, the food was all natural. HOWever, the 5kg bag was a WHOPPING $79.99!!!!!!!!! like, OMG!!! AND they still recommanded Choco be fed btw 3-4 cups... I think at that point, I would shop in an organic food store, rather than get the blended selection.

Solid Gold: we actually brought this bag to the checkout... BUT I remembered to look at the cup intake... and again, this was 4-5 cups for Chocolate! uh-uh, no thanx.

Canidae: this brand was in the store, but no one promoted it...

Innova: another good brand that was recommanded. but only if you arent concerned about your dogs gaining weight, since the first 2 ingredients are meat.

Praire: I also really liked this brand. pretty much the same ingredients as Wellness but about $8 more expensive..

Nature's Harvest: this would have been a good buy (would have saved me $30!!!) but this brand contains poultry meal. 2 thumbs down, sorry!

Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:22 PM

Another excellent choice not mentioned that I could see.........

is Acana Premium Adult.

It's made in Edmonton from Canada Human Grade ingredients.

In Calgary I pay about $32 per bag. Premium human grade food cheaper than Nutro b/c it's local.!!!!

Great food at a great price and it's supporting our economy!!

Here's the link.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/aboutus.html

Ingredients
Chicken meal, whole grain corn, whole grain rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract), beet pulp (sugar removed), flax, natural chicken flavor, mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), potassium chloride, inulin (FOS), choline chloride, salt, yeast culture, lysine, dried whole garlic, lutein (marigold extract), dried whole egg, yucca shidigera, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol (vitamin D), dl alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), ferrous sulfate, *zinc bioplex, zinc oxide, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, *copper bioplex, manganous oxide, *manganese bioplex, riboflavin, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, menadione sodium bisulphite complex (vitamin K), vitamin B12. *chelated mineral

Protein (min.) --- 26.0% Vitamin E (min.) --- 200 IU/kg
Fat (min.) --- 16.0% Vitamin C (min.) --- 50 mg/kg *
Fiber (max.) --- 3.0% Omega-6 (min.) --- 2.75% *
Moisture (max.) --- 10.0% Omega-3 (min.) --- 0.3% *
Calcium (min.) --- 1.1% ME --- 4,270 kcal/kg
Phosphorus (min.) --- 0.9% DE --- 4,500 kcal/kg
Lutein (min.) --- 5 mg/kg *
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

That sure looks better then some of the stuff on the market, but I wouldn't feed it to my girls. Corn is the second ingredient. No corn in this house. She can't digest it (most dogs can't) and it gives her green cloud gas.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:00 PM

Acana is 46% human grade chicken as the first ingredient.

Whole grain human grade ground corn is fine.

Why can't dogs digest ground whole grain corn?

They can digest corn just not as fully as rice.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM

I agree with that no corn here either. And what is MOS? never seen that in any of the ingredience list before
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM

MOS is a prebiotic. Helps stimulate/maintain proper balance of gut bacteria.

Much like a probiotic but more stable.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:04 PM

thanks Gazoo for the info. Corn is still a filler and difficult for SOME dogs to digest. (will possibly need to eat more?) From what I understand it can be an allergin culprit for dogs as wheat and soy can. Acana is one I'd never heard of, being in southern Ontario myself, probably not available here.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

When we first rescued Bear, we had him on Nutrience Large Breed Puppy food. About a month after he was on it, he alternately stopped using his back legs. After a visit to the vet, she recommended that his food be changed, (the Nutrience was making his bones grow faster than his tendons and muscles could handle) so we changed him to the highly recommended food that the vet suggested. Shortly thereafter, he began to get severe hot spots all over his neck and face. It was then determined that Bear was allergic to beef based foods. We tried him on several different food brands before ultimately finding that Walmart's Actrium Chunks is the only food he doesn't get hot spots with. And he loves it. Plus, it's about 5 bucks for 100 lbs of it.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM
banned user

Just started on Nutro Large Breed

Hannah was on a food recommended by the breeder,Pro Plan..but she just wasnt eating more than 11/2 cups per day and I was getting concerned. I was told she should be eating 2 1/2 per day.So today I switched her to Nutro Large breed and she gobbled it up..I really think that she wasnt getting enough nutrition with the other dog food

She was only pooping twice a day as well and I noticed she had gas(she farted alot)...Well after two meals of the Nutro..shes had two poops..so I think her system is working alot better.

Nutro isnt cheap,but I maintain that a good dog food,provides good health and alot less trips to the vet
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysts38
Hannah was on a food recommended by the breeder,Pro Plan..but she just wasnt eating more than 11/2 cups per day and I was getting concerned. I was told she should be eating 2 1/2 per day.So today I switched her to Nutro Large breed and she gobbled it up..I really think that she wasnt getting enough nutrition with the other dog food

She was only pooping twice a day as well and I noticed she had gas(she farted alot)...Well after two meals of the Nutro..shes had two poops..so I think her system is working alot better.
Nutro isnt cheap,but I maintain that a good dog food,provides good health and alot less trips to the vet

Blaze has been feed Nutro Natural Choice large bred puppy since I brought him home at 8 weeks. I believe it is a great food and you are right it is not cheap. BLaze eats as much as he wants as I have always free feed and only 16kg bag does us about 5 weeks. Yes he does eat people food too, fruit, veggies, cottage cheese loves feed. I asked our Vet about when to put Blaze on Nutro large bred adult and she thinks around 12 months no sooner then 11 months. Puppy food is designed for puppies now not like yrs ago when it was just puppy food for all puppies. Anyway I think they grow to fast and don't stay a puppy long enough why rush it to adulthood.
Old October 24th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Gazoo
Looked up the Acana, not impressed with the Chicken based but liked the Lamb and Rice Formula too bad the closest retailer is 100miles away from me. Also tried to look up the MOS and couldn't find any info on it. If it's prebiotic does this necessarily mean it's natural? Sounds like a preservative to me.
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM

MOS is definitely NOT a preservative and is natural.

Mannan-oligosaccharides, which is usually referred to as MOS is derived from the outer wall of yeast cells. It agglutinates or binds to pathogenic bacteria so that they cannot become attached and established in the host animal. It is used in animals to minimize the number of pathogenic micro-organisms and their negative effects.
Old October 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks Gazoo
I looked it up again(spelt wrong) and found it for human usage and you're right sounds like a good thing!! funny haven't seen it in any other dog food, perhaps missed it
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM

I have been looking for a new good food for my dogs and have been considering either Acana/Orijen or Taste of the Wild. Can anyone tell me if they have tried either of these and which is better for the dogs?
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Solid Gold: we actually brought this bag to the checkout... BUT I remembered to look at the cup intake... and again, this was 4-5 cups for Chocolate! uh-uh, no thanx.
I can't speak for the other brands, but the SG bag says to feed my dog 5 cups as well, and she was porking up on 2 1/2 cups! She now gets a little less than 2 cups and is at a good weight.

This has also been my experience with many other dog foods. The manufacturer tends to make a very high estimate.

I would guess if your dog is in the 50 - 60lb range and has an average metabolism 2 cups or so (3 at most) would be plenty.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Investigative researcher

This thread is 4 years old--please see the new thread for amber 777's question.
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:09 AM
-

Here is the new thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57950