Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Eating faster might make him swallow more air, and maybe have more gas...
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Quality Dog Food

This is my fisrt post and I am honored to be in such good company! You guys really know your stuff....
It is unfortunate that the general public is taken in by slick marketing ( Iams , Eukanuba , etc ) and pretty dog food packages. I agree with most everyone's recommendations. Personally I feed my 4 month old toy poodle, Sensible choice by Royal Canine. She had a bit of a sensitive stomache coming from the breeder and was very picky as to "taste." Royal Canine produces solid stools as well as pleases her discerning palate. Solid Gold is an excellent holistic food , and I may switch over to that when she is an adult.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM

My dog is on Hill's t/d and I'm not afraid to say it!
One cat eats c/d, the other cat is on m/d and my other cat is on Medical Hypoallergenic.
Let the attacks begin!!
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Adopted by Dani

Dani is doing great on Medi-cal Gastro mix but I am hoping I can get her back onto welness after a while once she is back to normal .

Lewis
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I had my cats on Hills TD. They've always been on hills or medical. Anyhoo, my one cat is 4 years old. His eyes have always watered. I was told when he was younger that it had to do with his tear ducts. So for 4 years his eyes have watered daily. About two months ago i switched to Felidae. Would you believe his eyes no longer water? That alone was enough to show me how much better a good food is.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT092481
My dog is on Hill's t/d and I'm not afraid to say it!
One cat eats c/d, the other cat is on m/d and my other cat is on Medical Hypoallergenic.
Let the attacks begin!!
As long as you know what you are feeding (I mean, REALLY know) then we won't say anything. Plus you probably get an employee discount, right?
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Plus you probably get an employee discount, right?
I don't base what I feed my animals based on how much the food costs. I don't even take my animals to the clinic that I work at. They go to my friends clinic (and I don't get employee discounts there).
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Ummm, I think she was joking.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM

I didn't mean for my post to be nasty or anything (that's a downfall of computers). I was just stating that yeah I do get employee discounts on things but that's not why I buy my food at work. In fact, my girl that's now on hypoallergenic food has been on may different foods (veterinary only foods and pet store foods) for weight loss mainly but also because we were trying to find a food that she could eat without vomiting up a storm.
But if anyone has any ideas of a weight loss food that is also considered hypoallergenic I'd be all ears.
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM

dog food allergies ?

Quote:
Boo is intolerant to chicken and Jemma is allergic to wheat and probably corn, so they get Solid Gold Wolf King.
Did the vet identify the allergies ? And how if so .... my real child has lots of allergies so I am interested in dog allergies my doggie scratches alot
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Performance Spaniels

Allergy testing, like a human would. Could be environmental or food based allergies. More common is an intolerance to something though. Allergies can cause full blown anaphylactic shock in their worst form like in people. Which is how food with crummier ingredients can make claims about their food not being a problem with allergies in dogs. Cause in-tolerances to stuff are becoming more and more common the more people screw with how foods are grown and processed. So the change in one word makes a consumer think oh great, if they aren't beyond informed sadly.
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM

thanks mafiaprincess ... i'll talk to the vet for coco's next visit
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I didn't get any tests yet... But by trial and error, I figured out the wheat (and ragweed) for Jemma and the chicken for Boo for sure. The rest are a little more blurry. You can definitely ask your vet. They can be expensive, depending on how comprehensive the tests are.

RVT092481, I was joking, but if you had gotten a discount, it still would have been a bonus.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I just switched Buster to Solid Gold and he's doing GREAT on it!! He has a very sensitive tummy, and all the hollistic foods I've tried have given him the runs (almost every Wellness flavor, almost every Eagle Pack flavor), but after just 4 days of Solid Gold he's doing SO WELL!!! He's farting like crazy...but then again, he's a boxer, so you gotta expect some stink bombs!

I'm feeding him Just a Wee Bit (Bison) for now (because I wanted to try Wolf King, but they only had a very large bag....)
The meat sources are the same in Just a Wee Bit and Wolf King, so I bought the small little bag (just a wee bit has a little more protein in it...).
But I'll be buying Wolf King soon!! Woohoo! I'm so glad I found a hollistic food that Buster can digest!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Yey! If the stools are soft, you can reduce the amount you're feeding gradually until they harden up (tends to be a common problem on holistic foods, so I thought I'd mention it). The wee bit is just more dense, but otherwise is pretty well the same as the wolf king.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

well, I jinxed myself!!
Buster's got the runs. again. I hope they go away , I was really hoping I'd found a hollistic formula that he can digest

Thanks for the advice, Prin, I'll wait a week (to see if the poops get a little harder), then reduce the amount I'm feeding him. How much do Boo and Jemma get?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Adopted by Dani

My Dani also has problems with loosy goosy poos.

She was originaly on Nutro ,,, ng
then we swtiched to welnness ng
Now she is on Medi-Cal Gastro sensitive blend and finishing her antibiotics today and still goes one day mooshy and then one day very loosly .

I don't think Dani has had one hard stool since the day I got her.

Dani is going back to the vet on the 21st for her booster shot and by then vetinsurance kicks in (unless the pre-existing condition clause works against me) and we will run more tests then if her poo is not more solid.

Best
Lewis

need all your fingers for us.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisw
Dani is going back to the vet on the 21st for her booster shot and by then vetinsurance kicks in (unless the pre-existing condition clause works against me) and we will run more tests then if her poo is not more solid.

Best
Lewis

need all your fingers for us.
It will. It bit me in the ass. I put in a claim for my pup for some meds and they asked when the problem started. ie when he started to itch. He was given somthing before my 30 day wait period was over so its considered pre exsisting
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Honest Contributor

lewis, have you considered that maybe dani has IBS? irritable bowel syndrome? http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/colitis.html or is it just food allergies, reactions to vaccines or meds... ?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Adopted by Dani

hmmmmm that sucks big time if that happens but you are probably right since Dani has been on meds off and on since I got her for diahrea so I will not be covered .
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
lewis, have you considered that maybe dani has IBS? irritable bowel syndrome? http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/colitis.html or is it just food allergies, reactions to vaccines or meds... ?
Td,
I'm starting to think and wory about that and on top of it all Dani is due for her Centinal on Saturday so if she goes back to toal water diahreah I won't know if its becasue she finished her antibiotics and is a food allergy or from the medi-cal (but that would be the third food she is on ) ...

Me I am very
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I would hold off on the sentinel you need to get to the bottom of Danis problem and that may just aggravate it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Adopted by Dani

I agree that is a good idea I think I will NOT giver her the centinal till I see the vet on the 21st at least by then I will see if she still has loose poo or diahrea while JUST on medi-cal with no antibiotics in her.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Did you get the probiotics yet? Seriously, they might help a lot. Empty one capsule on her food and see what happens.
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Did you get the probiotics yet? Seriously, they might help a lot. Empty one capsule on her food and see what happens.
Prin,
I have been giving her 1 capsule at night with her antibiotic just by putting it in the back of her throat shes great that way.
Her poo is much better this week but I want to see what happens after the antibiotics are finished.