Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old December 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Exclamation Help and advice for an injured dog (nerve)

I was walking my dog, Samson, on Halloween night. We were walking near a busy street at the time. Samson was playing when he was spooked by something and immediately ran towards home, which was across the street. He was hit by a car. As I approached him, I noticed that he was still breathing, but clearly needed medial help. I carried Samson back to my home, put him in the back of our family vehicle, and rushed him to our local animal emergency center.

Upon arriving, Samson was taken back for veterinarian evaluation. The veterinarian told us he was to be treated for shock and additionally treated for his external injuries - cuts located by his mouth from which he was bleeding. The veterinarian also performed x-rays which allowed my family to know that his bones were not effected by this accident, also that he did not sustain any pulmonary contusions (common when an animal is hit).

The veterinarian told us that one thing really concerned her. Samson was not responding to any feeling in his right arm, believed to be nerve damage. She had tested all his libs with a tool that pinched his skin and he had no reaction to this in the right arm. She told my family that only time could tell whether he would get feeling back. If he did not, she advised us that amputation would be the best option.

It is now near the end of the year and Samson still cannot feel his right arm. He has been, within the last month, biting at this arm. My family believes this could be the result of him feeling tingles from the nerves possibly restoring. However, I am not sure what step I should take next. My family veterinarian told me that by the end of the year I should make the decision to amputate or to euthanize him. I asked if there was any options, such as therapy or anything to help with his nerve damage. They were limited on knowledge in this matter.

Samson can run, swim, and play with his damaged arm so I am led to believe that he would still have a happy, active life after an amputation. Before doing so, I feel I should explore all my options and I am looking for some advice on what I should do.

-Should I amputate?
-If I did amputate, would he recover well enough to do what he enjoys?
-Is there any way to rehabilitate Samson?
-Should I try a boot split on him?
-Is there any organization/foundation which would provide finicial assistance?

It is my belief that there is hope for Samson. He is a great dog and my best friend. If anyone has advice, help, or support, please contact me. Your response would be greatly appriciated by my family and I.

Sincerely, A friend in need

If anyone has any help please responde
(ask if you want pics)

Last edited by Blathach; December 7th, 2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Please, no personal information
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Addicted to puppy

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I know there is a member on this board who has recently gone through amputation with her dog and would be more knowledgeable than I can be on amputation. her screen name is bendyfoot, you could try to PM her to get more info. here is the link to her blog http://jaidasjourney.blogspot.com

I do know that many dogs can live a happy fullfilling life with three legs. Thank you for doing everything you can for you furkid. Hopefully he does regain feeling but nerves are tricky and cannot regenerate. If he doesn't I think amputation is the best option.

And yes pictures please!!!!!!!

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Duplicate thread.

Please see:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47240
Closed Thread