Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Molly's Paddling Adventure

Last weekend Molly and I headed out on an exciting adventure, our first canoe trip. This was really the first time i'd ever went camping with a dog (of mine) and the first time i'd ever been camping and canoeing with Molly. What a blast we had! It was a guided trip (with Dog Paddling Adventures, hope it's OK to mention company name here) so they took care of all the details and all the work that goes with getting organized, food, etc. so it was a wonderful chance for me to focus on Molly and do a little relaxing of my own.

There were 7 people and six dogs on our trip (including the guide and her dog) and everyone got along great. Molly is not much into playing with other dogs but she had a fetching pal who loved the water and playing fetch just as much as she did.

Stars of the trip were:
Dagney - a little silken terrier, pekingese, poodle mix
Charlie - a little Maltese, poodle mix
Oscar - can't remember the breed exactly (schnauzer mix?)
Abby - black lab
Sienna - husky mix
Molly - golden retriever

Pics will be in that order...
Attached Images

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Abby
Sienna
Molly
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
-

What a hoot Otter ~ did Molly have a blast? Any spectacular-yet-funny mishaps with anyone? Was Molly good in the canoe? How about you? Exhausted? Thoroughly enchanted? It's the stuff wonderful memories are made of! Bring on the pix if you have them !!!
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Paddling with dogs in the boat was surprisingly easy - ONCE we got all our gear sorted out and room for the dogs to lie down. The first bit of paddling was a bit hairy but, by the time we headed off from the first portage (after a gear re-sort) we were doing great. Abby went overboard a couple of times (the lure of the water was too great) but I managed to keep Molly in the boat. I really worried that Molly would drop her ball overboard and she would jump in to fetch it - luckily she stayed put. I think if Molly had of jumped ship we might have all gone swimming.

Molly loved to hang her head over the edge of the boat and let water flow through her mouth.... a version of "water pik" tooth cleaning for dogs??
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you were sharing a canoe with Abby and Abby went overboard, how the heck did you convince Molly to stay in the boat?! I would have thought Abby's example would have been just too tempting not to follow!

Did you have to pull over to shore to get Abby back in the canoe?

Dog, that looks like fun!!!! Think they make an 8-dog, 2-person canoe?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
cat slave

oohhh i LOVE canoe camping....unless you get a guy telling you repeatedly how bad you are at paddling

where did you go camping?

Love the pictures ...are there any of Molly's flossing??
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Mummummum a hoot just doesn't begin to describe it!! It was so wonderful I'd never been on a guided trip before, just done things on my own or i'd been the guide so it was such a relaxed trip!! I didn't come home my usual exhausted self, just totally glowing from a great weekend (with kind sore shoulders as I did have to do some portaging of the canoes)

I totally thought Molly would be exhausted....she played for three days straight!!! and she was the oldest dog there. I took a photo of her sleeping, thinking she'd be out for the night after playing all day (see below) only moments after I took the picture she was up and about trying to negotiate with someone to throw her ball. Abby (5 year old black lab) had already retired for the night
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Abby trying to sleep...
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry jiorji, no flossing pics... things tended to get a little wobbly in the boat when Molly had her head in the water so, in order to keep my camera safe, I put it away when danger was present...

Molly is insisting I take her for a walk... right NOW so, i'll be back a little later to continue the adventure. Later..
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM
-

Please DO tell us all about it! With pix!
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,wonderful pics,is Molly a lucky girl or what???
It looks like a great time had by all,I wonder if my cats would be interested in a guided canoe-trip??
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
she was up and about trying to negotiate with someone to throw her ball.
Way to go Molly Great pictures Otter , a member from our rescue and from pets.ca (Meseena) posted about those trips before. You and Molly looked like you had so much fun ! And Molly is soooo cute with her life jacket ! Molly must have felt in
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Awwwww that looks like soooo much fun!!!
I would have thought it would be very hard to keep the dogs calm in the canoe and IN the canoe due to unsteadiness... looks like it all went well though!
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Everyone from the trip company assured me that canoeing with dogs was no problem... well, it's easier than it sounds but does have some challenges.

When Abby went overboard it was all I could do to keep Molly from following and , if she went over, we were all going over . Molly was so concerned when anyone was in the water, she wined and pawed at the water, never taking her eye off the puppy in the water.

Canoes are surprisingly stable, generally tips only happen when there are sudden movements (like dogs jumping overboard ). I knew that was going to be the time to be very attentive so I watched VERY carefully for any signs of abandoning ship.

The doggy life jackets serve more than one purpose... they are especially useful for getting dogs back in the boat, they have a nifty handle on them that you can use to grab the dog out of the water. It's still not incredibly easy to get a dog back in the boat but, manageable with the lifejacket. You get VERY wet though - no chance for the dog to shake or anything and dog coats carry soooooooooooooo much water.

Hazel....here's the canoe for eight dogs (or is it nine now??) and two people. I think it could handle you but you might have to teach some of the dogs to help with the paddling.
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

More pics, as promised...
Paddling with dogs (solo). I went out to rescue Molly and her ball (we had a few rescues needed as Molly would go out to fetch one ball and then someone would throw another ball and Molly would try and get them both and NEVER give up, she couldn't get both balls in her mouth when she was swimming) and Abby decided she needed to come to but, she just wanted in the boat... in the end, both dogs in the boat paddling with me. Sounds a bit crazy but it was sooooooooooooo nice.
Attached Images

Last edited by otter; September 8th, 2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Molly was great in the tent too (I was really worried about that). She would come to the "door" and ask if she could come in...

Notice the ball in her mouth (and the mucky wet fur!!), she was NEVER without her ball the whole weekend
Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
-

I love the first picture of you , Abby and Molly in the canoe. The look on the dogs faces is priceless ! Did Molly sleep in the tent or outside ? Either way, lucky dog !
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

So those of you with dial up can view the pics i'll start another thread...see you there!
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:

Hazel....here's the canoe for eight dogs (or is it nine now??) and two people. I think it could handle you but you might have to teach some of the dogs to help with the paddling.
Hey, that looks doable! Now all we have to do is convince some of the dogs that getting their paws wet isn't the end of the world, so they'll help paddle!

Quote:
here's the canoe for eight dogs (or is it nine now??)
Bite your tongue, woman!!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

come on..... not such a bad idea is it???
maybe you need some love
Helps me to live vicariously through your pack!
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Half Way To Crazy

What beautiful pictures otter, I love the life jackets !!

It looks so peaceful, and fun
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Bree would love it (hint, hint....)
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Half Way To Crazy

We are trying to get Bree in the water , but she is just not sure,
as for camping I don't do well with camping
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:08 AM

I love how she asked to come in the tent such a polite gal

Muddy paws

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Live well, laugh often

Great pics . You both look like you had such a great time .
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW!!!! That has got to be the coolest doggie vacation ever!!! It looks AMAZING! I'm so glad you got to take Molly on such a wonderful adventure! These pics are awesome!!!! And it's so cool to hear the stories as well!
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If you were sharing a canoe with Abby and Abby went overboard, how the heck did you convince Molly to stay in the boat?! I would have thought Abby's example would have been just too tempting not to follow!

I'm thinking that maybe Molly is much wiser than Abby.

Looks like a perfect vacation, I love to camp in the wilderness, wonder how I would make out with all my cats? I would just love to have a dog!
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Young at Heart

WOW - what a wonderful adventure! I have to admit I'm envious - that's a trip I would love to take - paddling with the dogs... I can only imagine the interesting things that could - and probably did - happen and the wonderful times you have to share...

I do some kayaking but I can't imagine either of my Goldens in a kayak (especially with me in it too!)..