Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 20th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats

Whose the troll? I just want to have a discussion, but I continuously get Ad hommed.

Dar.
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogLover
Whose the troll? I just want to have a discussion, but I continuously get Ad hommed.
Dar.
Wouldn't the French spelling of ad hominem be "a homme?" (Directed towards the man, I guess would be the literal translation.)
Sorry, just nitpicking.

Dar I saw the photo of the rainbow litter in your intro thread, very cute! What is the kennel name? A friend here shows & works her Dobies & they both came out of Canada, near Montreal. She's real hooked into the Doberman work & show circuit. I know her boy is a Faubert dog, from near you I think.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

The French translation "to the man" would be "à l'homme". (I think, lol) And wow, so much hostility. Dar, I have to make one comment re this comment: "No dear, not everyone who breeds dogs are backyard breeders"

With all due respect, why are you so condescending just to make a minor point? ( I realize we do not all belong to Mensa but you can at least be polite). The last time someone called me dear, I asked them politely since they did not know me if they would in future desist from using that term. It can be very irritating - especially between two people of different genders. Then it becomes sexist as well as demeaning. I think you owe Lucky an apology.

As for obtaining a dog or cat from a reputable breeder (i.e. one who only selectively and medically supervised breeds a titled champion), I have no problem with that - since my cat comes from that kind of breeder. It is the breeders who uncaringly and unknowlededgeably bring animals into an overpopulated world that I want to stop! That includes millers, byb and even people who think their pet is so beautiful she'd have lovely babies, sigh!!!
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, I think I had a point about the original topic, but I seem to have lost it somewhere around here...what were we talking about again??
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM
Momof4and6furries

everybody b-r-e-a-t-h-e!
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
...what were we talking about again??
Oh, right...designer breeds!

and spelling and etymology and genetics and backyard breeders and Mira and horrible pet stores and what's the proper level of comitment for rescuers and....

There was just a show on The Science Channel about how dogs evolved. Sure, most recognised breeds were bred for a specific job and became standardised over generations.
But as pointed out, not only do many of those breeds no longer have jobs (as wolf or deer hunters, bull baiters, cart dogs, turnspits, etc) but I fail to see how creating whole new breeds can improve on the function already existing for the few jobs we provide now.
Sorry, horrid sentence construction.

But I mean (for instance) have not Labradors already proven themselves as awesome leader dogs? So what on earth is the point of breeding BMDs and Labs? I still don't get it.

Bottom line most of the poo-poo breeds are bought by folks who want to be able to say the have a Tag Hauer watch, an Ikea dinette set, a Coach bag, and look how cute, this is my new "Morkie" yes it's a new breed.
People are stupid. That's all I can say.
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally this Labernese is basically a vets dream because since they are not health testing they are breeding 2 dogs with varied health problems and creating a dog with all the health issues rolled into one. Wow how smart these people are. I love BMD's but if you are not rescuing and are getting one of these dogs you definitely want to go to a reputable breeder because they do have there share of problems. Same as all these labs and retrievers from byb and puppymills no temperment testing and people just assume they have the great lab or retriever personality but not necessarily so some of these have a great propensity to bite. But if you understand that these places are run by the scum of the earth and you buy one of there dogs and it bites you it is Karma biting you in the a$$ for being an a$$ by supporting them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Resident Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina
Wouldn't the French spelling of ad hominem be "a homme?" (Directed towards the man, I guess would be the literal translation.)
Sorry, just nitpicking.

Dar I saw the photo of the rainbow litter in your intro thread, very cute! What is the kennel name? A friend here shows & works her Dobies & they both came out of Canada, near Montreal. She's real hooked into the Doberman work & show circuit. I know her boy is a Faubert dog, from near you I think.
A l'homme would be correct. I just cut it down to ad hommed[sic](past tense).

Our breeder is affiliated with a relatively large kennel, in Montreal(They train protection dogs), that is where she passed her Maitre chien. I hardly think that two litters by two different females in a year constitutes breeding(I can say this right?) for money. If you feel that it is then there's nothing I can do about it, except that one puppy(along with Bow, Tobe, Rosey and Monty) will have a warm house to reside in for a very long time.

Cyberkitten, you don't like the word 'Dear'? Okay!

Why am I on trial here, No witches left to hunt down?

Dar.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogLover
A l'homme would be correct. I just cut it down to ad hommed[sic](past tense).
Gotcha. For us commoners who wouldn't have understood otherwise. Your past tense is also incorrect, but I guess even uber-mensans are allowed such slips.

Our breeder is affiliated with a relatively large kennel, in Montreal(They train protection dogs), that is where she passed her Maitre chien. I hardly think that two litters by two different females in a year constitutes breedin(I can say this right?) for money. If you feel that it is then there's nothing I can do about it, except that one puppy(along with Bow, Tobe, Rosey and Monty) will have a warm house to reside in for a very long time.

Yes, still not impressed with "large kennel which breeds protection dogs." Whatever.
So, kennel name?
It is quite an appropriate practice, breeding one litter per year for healthy females within the proper age range.
What kennel?

You're not on trial. But your supercilious attitude and silly bragging about mensa blah blah just gets people's hackles up. Most people show up, start posting, and get along.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Resident Evil!

Ad - to
hominem - accusitive of

If it were french instead of latin it would translate to 'a L'homme', what's your point?

By 'Get along' you must mean 'Conform'.
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I know what ad hominem means. Notice I said literal translation.

Quit dicking around, I am done with the language lessons. You are being irritating.

Kennel name? Most people would be proud to announce this.
Cooper is an Evrmor "Duke" son.
So.
Kennel name?
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina
Yes I know what ad hominem means. Notice I said literal translation.

Quit dicking around, I am done with the language lessons. You are being irritating.

Kennel name? Most people would be proud to announce this.
Cooper is an Evrmor "Duke" son.
So.
Kennel name?

HIGH FIVES CARINA!

Anyone who has to frequent webboards, gloat and brag on themselves are lacking in social skills...they try to hide behind the obvious.
It's sad too, most of the time they shine in ignorance like a 14 karat diamond would in a goats rectum.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

LMAO. you guys are so funny
Don't know why Darcy felt the need to be so argumentative!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not get the snippiness either - and I gave in by saying my own peice, sigh - it is not fun or interesting under these circumstances. I have lots of that elsewhere - no need for it here.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:21 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
LMAO. you guys are so funny
Don't know why Darcy felt the need to be so argumentative!!
Trying to impress everybody I guess. (Did not work on me)

If a race horse sprung from the gate at the bell, turned and bowed before the applauding spectator's in the stands, he would not only come in last but also dump his rider.

This horse has no rider and the finish line is out of sight.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for participating in the absurdity. My bad, I rose to the shrimp-bait.

"If a race horse sprung from the gate at the bell, turned and bowed before the applauding spectator's in the stands, he would not only come in last but also dump his rider."

ROTLMAO!
Well I did try to get this thread back on track.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Karin and Carina
That was good !!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM

*raises her hand*

I have a question in re: puppies in petstores. I've nothing against protesting at these stores and encouraging people to find a responsible breeder or of course, better yes, RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE...but what happens to them? If they're not bought before they outgrow their cuteness? I'm not being sarcastic. I honestly don't know. Do they dump them in shelters?

And what's so bad about a standard poodle that one has to be mixed with a labrador to be a service dog? I have two black labs. I like to call them "poor-bred" instead of "pure-bred". And they're wonderful. I love them. But I know a reputable breeder of standard poodles. They're also wonderful dogs. Loving, good temperament. Super smart. I think people get hung up on labs and goldens as service dogs because they watch too much Animal Planet (not knocking Animal Planet--we like it ourselves ). But...I just don't get it.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM

The blind association most likes to use goldens and labs because they listen to commands very well. My grandmother has a genetic disease called retinitis pigmatosa (not spelled right) every one of her 8 brothers and sisters except one has it. they all went blind in their twenties, completely blind (just so you know you can be classified as leagaly blind but can still drive with thick glasses). She had a service dog that i grew up with that was a golden (most wonderful dog i ever met but thats another story), and my one great uncle and other great aunt (the only ones i'v ever met) both had black labs for serivice dogs. the labs and goldens are used most because they are known for following commands very well and not taking off at a smell like a hound would.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Jazzmanian....I agree with you about breeding for specific traits that border on disability, like with English bulldogs, who cannot even give birth normally.
I see no point in perpetuating such breeds, personally. I admit to having a wee bit of sympathy for people breeding the "old style" English bulldogs, which at least could breath and breed normally.

Brenda, as I understand it, puppies that outgrow their cuteness in pet stores get the prices dropped in hopes someone buys them. If they outgrow their cuteness, they are dumped at the pound. The profit margin is so high on those poor dogs, I guess it doesn't matter if some aren't sold.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:28 PM

Carina,

Well, that's a damned shame. I wish I could have a hundred. Sort of.

-B
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Lucky did a great post.So to interrupts regular programing and risk being off topic, please!If you love dogs,or cats,support rescue!If you love a special breed,help rescue!Rescues ALWAYS need donations,fosters,volunteers,home checkers,transporters!PLEASE help dogs in need!All breed rescues are always overwhelmed,and popular purebred rescues are also!If you love the breed,help rescue!!!!!!!!I can post rescues in your area,or for your breed,please, please help!It's easy to talk about rescue,how about really help?
Just thought this needed to be said again here..dogs and cats are dying all over ontario, perfectly adoptable, loveable pets. Rescue groups save them, majority of this is of their own expense, time and love. People in rescue are just like you and me, but we can't do it all alone, help is always needed, and appreciated.

My kudos to all the rescue groups here who give so much, you know who you are, and i am forever grateful for all you do
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplainsjane
Carina,

Well, that's a damned shame. I wish I could have a hundred. Sort of.

-B
Me too, sorta.
Luckily there are no pet stores that sell cats & dogs anywhere close to where I live. I would not spend a dime in a store that did anyhow, and I have been quite vocal about why, in the past!
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:34 PM

A local petstore which I've always rather liked--that had fish and small mammals--oh, a few parakeets. Nothing that offended me terribly--and they're knowledgeable, clean, etc. had a bunch of puppies last time I was in. I won't go there again. They apparently sold them all. I walked by recently and they were gone. I worked for a breed of Cardigan Welsh Corgis this summer and she does a nice job. She had a litter this summer and had genetic tests for 9 generations on one side and 12 on the other. They were birthed at the vet's office, in and out of the vet's office every week...she's very reputable. And I just can't imagine doing it any other way, if at all.

In re: standards vs. labs/goldens--is there evidence that standards aren't suited well as to temperament for being service dogs, then? Seriously, I don't know about them to any great extent. I've met some and thought they were nice. Of any of the designer breeds, this one borders on being "reasonable" to an extent, but I still can't see why you wouldn't just get the poodle. Any ideas/experience?
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:45 PM

I'm not sure if they would be suitable or not just never seen or heard of one used. I think it's more the grooming issue than anything cuz if your blind grooming a poodle would be too difficult (like with a golden all you have to do is brush them and occasionaly take them to a groomer but with a poodle you would have to have them groomed professionally once a month). I'v just never seen one as a service dog. Other than grooming I think they would probably make good service dogs but i don't know that much about them.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM

Well my father is the director of government relations for the CNIB so I will ask him about the breeds of guide dogs. He is not a dog man but I am sure he will put me in touch with someone else. Apparently the CNIB has a private company that they go through for their dogs and do not actually have any dogs so I will get him to put me in touch with them. My dad does however say that the labs for some reason are more popular then the goldens, and they have had the goldendoodles and labradoodles come through for people allergic to dogs. Anyways I am rambling, long story short I will get the info tomorrow
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Performance Spaniels

Not to get flamed, but this topic has come up many a time on other boards I have frequented. The guy in Australia that had the labradoodle, he had to give it up for a poodle eventually because he was still allergic. Most byb breeders of doodle crosses claim their dogs are hypo allergenic, but since we can't pick genetics there are dogs shedding poodle hair, dogs that still have the normal dander from the non doodle part of the cross, etc. And to the person who was asking about creating breeds, generally a breed is when you can mate 2 same dogs and have same offspring. If you were to cross a puggle and a puggle, you'd have some normal looking pugs and normal looking beagles in there again. It take decades of hard work to 'create' a breed, and you need a large enough gene pool to do it with. With the designer crosses, I doubt that would ever happen.
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Question designer puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat View Post
Not wanting to stir it up anymore but aren't all 'pure breed' dogs simply a mix of some previous breeds? A hope to develop or attain stronger albeit different traits or characteristics that have been recognized as desirable in both of the parents.

We had a Golden Doodle in our training class and she was a sweetheart. What traits were desired of this breeding? What did the poodle have that the golden didn't (other than size)? If it was just cosmetic then I would have to agree that monetary gain was the driving factor not a desire to develop a new breed better suited to a desirable task. Nor do I believe that these breeders have the smarts to develop a breed.

As far as pure breeds go I do believe you are more likely to know what you are gettng but I just met a couple with a newly nuetered Golden. A handsome boy with all the papers needed. The reason for the nuetering, a heart murmur (three of the six in his litter have the same condition). I also know a couple that is now on their third Newfie in three years due to complications with the legs blowing out. They have spent thousands on the purchase of these dogs, even more on vet bills and continual heartbreak. Still this is the breed that they want. My sisters perfect Shepherd did end up with hip problems as have many Shepherds I have known. I'll take my mutts from the local shelter anyday. I may not know what I am getting but it seems you take those chances anyways.
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this board. I am posting because my family has been researching the "designer" puppies. My husband and I both work full time and have two kids 14 and 12 (both very active in sports, extra-curricular activities). We think it is best to have a small breed; my husband and I had an Alaskan Malamute for 11 years-she was a great dog-but we don't have alot of room now so we agreed on a small dog this time.
To get to the point, I have been watching our local dog pound and animal shelters for weeks now-it is so hard to find a small dog! The biggest reason I was attracted to some of the designer pups is because of the non-shedding. My daugher fell in love with the yorkie-poos, I saw some adorable morkies, but I have to say after some of the posts I have read, I would almost feel guilty buying one. I am not at all concerned about papers, I have no intention to breed-we just want a pet and thought one of these little non-shedding breeds would be perfect for us. Any thoughts?
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a poodle for 17 yrs (almost all his life excerpt when he was with his mama until 10 wks). They don't shed!!!
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM

mamalucy, have you checked www.petfinder.com ? They might have more options in your area. Often the shelters are the easiest to find and we don't realize there are great rescues around working really hard to help animals too.

It's not about your intentions with the designer breed, but the intentions of the breeder of them. Whether you intend to breed yours or not (we prefer not ), the breeder you got it from is breeding for profit and not for the benefit of the dog. It is rare that these breeders keep the dogs till 8 weeks (some reputable breeders even suggest 12 weeks for these little dogs), and it's rare that they are properly immunized, regardless of what they claim.

How many regulars on this site have replied to posts where somebody bought a dog from an unethical breeder only to have it come down with Parvo or some other life threatening disease shortly after bringing it home? And how many have we heard say the unethical breeder became completely unreceptive when the owner went back for compensation?

It just happens too often. I hope you don't put your family through the possible trauma that an unethical breeder can create. It's really horrible. :sad:

That said, I'm sure if you post a new thread with your preferences for your future doggy, members here can try to help you find a breed that fits, and even show you some on petfinder.