Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Question Advice on dog park fight toronto?

Hey I took my dog to dog parks only a handful times. She never got in a fight before. I used the parks to throw ball.

Today another large dog came out of no where and approached mine from far away. They were fine at first but then the other dog snapped at mine the ball fell from mines mouth and they got into a bad fight. Mine got the better of the other dog but let up as soon as I got their.

ITs not a illegal breed. I stayed with the owners and said sorry and offered my number if i can do anything. They said their dog was bleeding but I think he or she was more in shock He was snarling and growling at my dog. AFter their fight my dog had no interest in the other dog and made no noise and was calm.

BUt the other dog lost the fight and the owners were upset, I offered to help but they just took down my license plate.

Now i have no criminal record and my dog has no history will things like this usually end up okay? The man approached my dog and said he was sure she did not mean it cause she was calm and did not bark once at anyone after the fight?

Is there a chance she can get put to sleep over a fight in the dog park?

THey kept saying dangerous dogs are not allowed in the park but only pit type dogs are illegal here? Mine is a shepherd and theres looked like a giant schuzner some very large terrier type dog. It does not look like my dog is much more capable than theirs or more dangerous but when they faught mine just dominated the fight really quick.

I know that if they met again theirs will get very snarky with mine and mine will not even make a sound?

But mine was not hurt aside from some ripped fur that im aware of. But they did not take my number because they said they had no "pen"

I waited and saw them off though i did not get in my car till they left i wanted to make sure no one thought i was running from the situation.

The fight lasted a few seconds and my dog stopped as soon as i got there.
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM

THey said i can pay the vet bill but they didnt take my number how am i suppose to pay if they did not take my info ?
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Tough one for sure.
If they have your license plate # - they can probably get your contact info if they want it. If your dog bit there's and you are okay with paying the bill...probably no issue. But I'm no lawyer so maybe a Toronto person would know more.

If they did meet again...... hmmmmm.....that really shouldn't happen actually if you are super alert and see either the owner or the dog from afar.
Your dog bit theirs...there's a history now and you need to be super vigilant.
You as the owner should try as hard as possible to leash your dog immediately and remove it from the dog park should that dog ever come near again.

Now I can't know this for sure, only you can...and I'm only trying to help, But if this dog got into a fight that caused a wound, maybe the dog has been displaying other signs of aggression in the past.
If this is the case, it would be wise to stop bringing your dog out off-leash and out to dog parks until it is better socialized.
Group dog obedience training can be a great help in this regard.

Until you change a behaviour, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I do hope others chime in though and good luck!

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Some dog parks have rules posted or available on line. Check those out. See if you or the other owners are in violation. It sounds like the other owners were too far away from their own dog?

I suggest you document as much as possible what happened, immediately, in case this goes further. Round up any witnesses as well. It does sound like the other dog was not under control and approached yours but since it got the worst of it you may find yourself in trouble over it.

I seriously doubt your dog can be put to sleep over a fight in a dog park no matter who started it or how it turned out. Rules protecting dogs from dog bites are not nearly as strict as rules protecting humans from dogs.

I'm sorry to say one of the first things, from a legal standpoint, is to not admit culpability and not offer to pay anything. Sad, most of us would feel for the other dog even if ours was not at fault for starting something, but the real world is not an ideal world.

Unfortunately dog parks are often not good places for dogs and you might want to reconsider this one if that other dog frequents it.

Last edited by Longblades; December 5th, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: corrected 3rd paragraph.
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:58 PM

I'd highly recommend you stop bringing any kind of toys/balls into the dog park with you as well. That alone could have created the problem (some dogs have resource guarding issues).

Most dog parks advise against toys, treats, etc in the dog parks anyway.
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks but I have no plans on going back to any dog park now

Rule says no treat but people were always allowed to play chuck it with their dogs

People have to have the dogs leash on hand which i did

The owners did not run up to the fighting dogs they just stood there and i had to go up and break them up very quick by myself, but it was easy they quit fighting when i got there and the other dog ran back to its owners and was whining and crying that is why they think he was hurt mostly. My dog after the fight was just sitting around waiting for me to do something she was not being reactive or aggressive or anything but the other dog was snapping at us. I honestly think he may have bitten me if i had touched him there, not that i was planning on it.

They were all friends there and i am an outsider new to the area so they were not exactly on my side. The people who had the small dog there was prancing around us and playing were not scared my dog was going to hurt theirs at all though. But you could tell they were all friends by the way they stuck up for each other. The big terrier was friends with a small dog there at the time and they said he never picked fights with the dogs.

I have never been in a situation where someone made threats of reporting or taking down my plate. Not that they even wrote it down though. Their dog clearly started the fight they said he ran up to mine and was trying to play. They were almost playing until theirs snapped at mine and made her drop her ball. Then it went bad. But the problem is mine totally dominated the fight. IT was like 2 cats fight and one is on top of the other clearly winning while the other is quickly beaten. It started like a normal dog scrap but the other dog just went to the bottom and was upset after so quick which is why I felt bad and said sorry that it turned out like that. Mine wanted to play ball after i told her to quit fiighting.

Last edited by flamingo; December 5th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Now that I think about it more Do you think it is highly likely they could be hiding the way their dog has treated other dogs? hes very young tho only a year old

My dog has interacted with so many young dogs and NONE will just run up to her posture and snap at her and start fighting like that. I wonder if this dog has done it before but they just didn't admit it. Specially by the way it was acting after? He or she probably never bit another dog though and my dog did they said so she is the one at fault.
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM

there dog could be a big ball hog. and snapped at yours so that it would give up the ball. It can happen at times between dogs when you get ones that want a ball they will try almost anything to get the ball. Don't stop going to the park or at least find a different one. No reason your dog should suffer from what i am reading it just sounds like your pup was thinking she had to protect herself from another dog that snapped just snapped at her.

there dog might have snapped and had a few tiffs with other dogs. but if it was a large breed like yours it probably might have picked on the younger or smaller guys and then when got matched with a dog of it size didn't know what to do..

if worried that your dog might have issues call a local trainer to see if they will come meet or you can bring your dog to them and see if they notice some sign that you are missing and that could have caused the bigger fight. that way you know.
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:03 AM

thanks but all i wanted to do was play chuck it, I dont want to put my dog around strange dogs that I have no idea what those dogs are like. If i know the dog is stable and balanced it could play with mine but not in an area like a dog park anymore with so many strange dogs and I have no clue about them. I read a post online about the dog park I was at they said they hated it and that their dog just gets pushed around and bullied every time it goes. Owners don't care. It is just a free for all and they turn it into a social event.

They kept acting like I brought an illegal animal into the park mines a german shepherd and the sign said no pits. It just seemed like breed bias, if my dog was a lab they would not have put on that dramatic act I bet, even when their dog was turning and snapping at us when we were leaving they did not care they were babying their dog saying dont worry baby shes not going to touch you ok?. BUT i have heard many people tell me all kinds of horror stories involving german shepherds which might explain the dirty looks i get sometimes. I understand that the breed is not a walmart greeting type of dog but they are not suppose to be cujo either. I am just a bit tired of it I guess. I Just wish there was a place to play ball my yard is just too small to throw far.

There are shutzund fields, maybe they wont care if I use their field, when no dogs are training.

Has anyone ever read this story? how scary it is?

http://brindlestick.blogspot.ca/2010...ould-have.html

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news...-not-isolated/

Last edited by flamingo; December 6th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Hello

No one has contacted me, Woulld it be a bad idea to maybe e mail animal control and just ask if their have been any complaints?
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Not convinced I'd do that flamingo....

Maybe call anonymously, but don't give any personal info.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Flamingo I personally would just leave it as it. This is why I HATE DOG PARKS.

Perhaps this is the wrong statement but in my experiences I have found that dog parks are for some really irresponsible dog owners who feel it is a place to let their dogs go and they dont really watch them. As you said you had to go break things up while people stood around.

I think that they took your plate as a way of protecting themselves. Maybe they thought if you had given your name or whatever that it might not be your real name and with a plate they can at least search with a plate for you through verious channels.

I would chalk it up to a good learning experience and move forward from there and not worry about it unless you have to. If you have everything written down as to what happened etc thats all I would be worried about.

How about a picture of your gal? we would love to see her.

Good Luck
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Me three, would not pursue that.

Chances are they were all heated up at the time but their dog is fine and nothing will come of it. If anything does you now have the argument, How bad could it be if they waited to report or do anything?
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM

ok thanks here you go winston lol
Attached Images

Old December 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute picture. Have to agree - let sleeping dogs lie. Don't stir the pot asking questions. It will probably blow over. I also do not like dog parks.
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks for such a quick response to the pic BUT I need to see how beautiful her face is!! I have a soft spot for GSD's.....my little DIVA Sophie has 3 big sheps for friends who she loves to play with.

Just another thought about dog parks that I have heard but not experienced and it doesnt matter now cause its cold out but they are notorius for having large populations of Ticks!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Fuzz Lover

It is scary when situations like this happen. My rescue jumped up on a woman going out the door in front of us, seemingly unprovoked. He either bit or scratched her, and left two holes in her pants.

She was very understanding but upset at the time. I saw her the next day and offered to pay for her pants; I think I got off easy. She has dogs herself....but I still worried about her calling animal control (I'm in Toronto too BTW). I haven't heard anything and I think the situation is okay. Now I'm even more careful with him and we do through the doors by ourselves. If anyone else is around I let them go through and tell them we will wait.

I would try not too stress about it....I wouldn't call animal control even inquiring about it as you may set off an investigation. But maybe find another dog park to go to (and I didn't think there was anything wrong with bringing balls to dog parks?). Sounds like the other owners don't have control of their dog.