Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

i really need to watch the news

hey everyone so anyone in the usa heard i guess that they may not be able to give social security next month?

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Chum Mum

That is the scuttlebutt. If the dems and reps can't come to some kind of agreement to raise the debt ceiling by Aug 2nd, theoretically the U.S. will be out of money. Right now alot of political gamesmanship is being played. I am certain they will reach some eleventh hour deal. If they don't the reprecusions are huge. It would wreak havoc on the worlds financial markets.
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

yea i understand that i'm sitting here chewing my fingernails (figurativly) lol because my husband recieves that due to his illness and yea i need that for bills and his meds haha

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

MWW,I certainly hope that is not the caseif the US is running out of money,they should start cutting from the top,not from the sick and poor..
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Amen to that Chico2. MWW, I also think they'll pull something magic out of their hats and get the business done. I just can't see them letting that happen, it would be devastating to so many people and the economy, and the world markets. Too many ramifications for them not to come to some sort of resolve. Good luck to you and hubs. I hope for all the people who need the assistance that they get it together. It's hard to understand really how one the most powerful nations in the world can simply run out of money! I'm honestly not buying into that.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That does seem to be impossible!! It's hard to imagine that being allowed to happen. Somebody down there needs to get their act together and smarten up! Maybe now's the time to completely pull out of the Middle East...save a bit of money there!
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's because the yokels in Washington have spent us into the hole. They want to increase the debt limit to make payments on the interest of the national debt. *sigh* That's how a nation runs out of money...

I'm sure they'll end up with some sort of compromise, but even if they didn't, the money is there for SS--they could use common sense and cut unnecessary spending somewhere else to make those payments. But if they said and did that, there would be no political blackmail, and what's the fun in that?

Politicians...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Kitty pimp

we all gonna come and live in cnanda
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Not me. Taxes are too high.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband is a pension plan consultant. They keep up with Social Security and other financial matters relating to retirement. He adminsters 401K plans, profit sharing plans etc.

That doesn't make him an expert on this. And neither does the crazy amount of time he spends listening to the radio and watching the television. He's a political JUNKIE. But I do think he kind of has a handle on it and he thinks that it won't happen. They're all playing their little game of chicken. Or as he so crudely put it. "It's the Republicans and Democrats farting at each other."

So classy my guy.
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So apt! The epitome of hot air, which is what politicians are known for, aren't they?

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,we get back what we pay in taxes,in medical care and other services when and if we need it.
Having 2 sick kids and ourselves aging,I have no worry about medical-bills..
Yes,my husband payed more in taxes every year than what some people make,do I wish it had been less?? Sure,but we made out fine and in our retirement pay next to no taxes.
The US will HAVE TO raise taxes to survive IMO.

Last edited by chico2; July 16th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Not me. Taxes are too high.
But our health care is included.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

This is about debt ceilings. If we can reduce our federal spending, we can avoid having to raise taxes to pay interest on our debt. Natl health care is a whole 'nuther philosophical/political debate and has nothing to do with the current debt ceiling problem.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

i really don't follow politics or understand them well. i tell you i picked up on the basics of hubby's illness quicker then i ever understand all that crap. i just know that all of this is crazy. on the other hand hubby is feeling good and we have his dr appt thrusday.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So apt! The epitome of hot air, which is what politicians are known for, aren't they?
Don't u sit on your town council? *S* j/k

But really we do have pretty good health care and we don't have to pay for it,,,our taxes do!

I hope the US can figure out how to all pull together instead of trying to point the finger at one another. I'm sure if even all the politicans in Washington cut down on their travel expenses and office expenses that could save the country!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

In my uneducated opinion,the USA should stop trying to"save"every country in the world,no more wars...trillions of $$$$ would be saved.

TQ,So happy to hear hubby is on the mend
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear hubby is feeling better, MWW! Would be so nice if you could delay the dialysis indefinitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Don't u sit on your town council? *S* j/k
I sit on a 3-person town board--non-partisan positions. In a town with 80 residents. Basically, we're business managers. I leave the hot air to the arm-chair politicians hanging out at the tavern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
But really we do have pretty good health care and we don't have to pay for it,,,our taxes do!
Who pays the taxes, TQ?

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
In my uneducated opinion,the USA should stop trying to"save"every country in the world,no more wars...trillions of $$$$ would be saved.
I agree, chico. And there's lots of foreign aid paid out that never makes it past the corrupt govts in the countries it goes to...unfriendly countries, to boot. That would be a good place to cut, imo.

But the current 'crisis' isn't about that, except indirectly. The problem is that in the past few years the national debt has increased so precipitously (remember all the bail-outs and TARP?) that we can't make the payments to cover the interest on the debt the government has incurred! To do it, the president wants to raise the debt ceiling. But you know that if you allow politicians to authorize more spending, they won't put the authority to proper use--they'll just end up spending more in the long run! That's why there's so much talk of cutting spending instead of raising the debt ceiling. We'll see if, in the end, they're willing to take the heat and 'fix' it now, of if they'll push it off until the next crisis, which can only be worse than this one.

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well there are some pretty rich people down there that could afford a tax hike, That way they wouldn't have to cut spending on social programs.

I agree chico, the States are all over the world and sending aid that doesn't reach the people that really need it. There is no doubt the politicians know this, but they keep sending more .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The rich people you're talking about already pay about 70 - 75% of the taxes taken in each year. Tax them (or anyone) more and the politicians will simply spend more. Better to make them do some work for a change and cut the spending end of it. If we can live within our means, certainly our leaders should be able to.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Glad to hear hubby is feeling better, MWW! Would be so nice if you could delay the dialysis indefinitely

I sit on a 3-person town board--non-partisan positions. In a town with 80 residents. Basically, we're business managers. I leave the hot air to the arm-chair politicians hanging out at the tavern!

Who pays the taxes, TQ?
Hazel...only 3 people? At least it doesn't ake long to vote on something LOL

All Canadians pay taxes. Every time we buy something at the store we pay taxes, provinces get some and federal gets the other.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The rich people you're talking about already pay about 70 - 75% of the taxes taken in each year. Tax them (or anyone) more and the politicians will simply spend more. Better to make them do some work for a change and cut the spending end of it. If we can live within our means, certainly our leaders should be able to.
hazel, maybe they need to put all politicans on a budget! They have so much for their office to spend and that's it! Let them start to realize that there isn't an endless supply of money, so they have to stop wasting it on stupid things!

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Ah you gotta love politicians. I don't care what party their with, and apparently what country either, they all see an endless supply of $$$ for their needs and then suggest cuts or raise taxes to the working class. MWW I hope hubby is still doing well and that it all works itself out with the SS payments. You know I'm up to my eyeballs these days, but still thinking of you!