Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM

Question Cat Coat

Hi everyone. Just wondering about my cats' coats and how to make them shiny. I was told that mixing a raw egg and putting it on their dry food will help to make their coats shiny and glossy....what do you think about it? Sounds kind of grosse to me. Also, it was recommended by a Vet at the University of Guelph to squirt oil capsules (some sort of vitamin or something)on their food to help moisturize their skin & fur.....what do you think about that?
Has anybody ever heard of these things? And what about Tuna and male cats?? Does seafood cause crystals in male cats??

Love your animals cause they will always love you back.
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Lovemycats,my cats share one small can of food,twice a day,even fishy ones.
Your cats are less likely to get crystals from eating canned,it's dry food that is more of a danger to a neutered male and I have 3 neutered males.
I have good quality dry food available for them 24/7 and fresh cold water.
If your cats would eat Sardines in oil(mine wont )it's very good for their fur.
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM

First of all you should probably have the cat on a really good food, that usually takes care of the coat and all that. If you want you can also add some flax or fish oil to your cat’s diet but in most cases a good holistic food is enough.

About the egg, I don’t know. RAW diet allows raw eggs but I do not know if you want to go there
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM

Smile

Hi guys, well thank you for your suggestions. It never occurred to me that it was the dry food that would cause the crystals. I really do need to change to a better quality cat food for them. I wasn't sure of the raw egg either. Neither of my boys are finicky, but neither one wanted to touch the food with the raw egg on it.

I will get them some wet food tonight. I am sure they will be loving their new diet.

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM

So far in my searching, Canidae's Felidae line has won for best kitty kibble.
http://www.canidae.com/
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM

I would say that giving your cat a good quality diet with both canned and dry is probably a better idea than adding oils or raw egg. I say this because I'm pretty sure I caused pancreatitis in one of my cats a few years ago by adding oil to the diet. She was a young cat and the vet was very surprised that she would develop it at her age. When I confessed that I put a little oil in her food every day I got a good scolding and a whopping vet bill. I stopped adding oil and the cat has been fine ever since.

I switched my cats to Felidae dry about 5 weeks ago and I've noticed a difference in their coats already, they are nice and shiny. I also feed canned once a day and they love it. I have tried several different canned foods and so far they like Eagle Pack the best with Wellness coming in second.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM

Smile

Hi there. thank you so much for your advice and help.......I am definately switching cat food and will begin feeding them wet food today..... I had a talk with Domi & Zets (my cats) last night and told them we would try the wet food......I also noticed that Zets seems to be throwing up food alot.....I didn't think anything about it cause it starts out like a hairball and sometimes comes out as one.......or comes out as food (sometimes whole, not chewed).....Hopefully the food will help.

Thanks again.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I also noticed that Zets seems to be throwing up food alot
One of my cats Charlene is like that. She has been a chronic food puker since I got her, and for a long time I just figured I would have to live with it. However, I have since discovered it is related to the food I give her. I had her on Iams when I got her (I was young and didn't know about good and bad pet food), then I switched to Eukaneuba and had terrible problems with both those foods. Then I wized up and put her on California Natural and she stopped throwing up altogether Sadly, I can't get California Natural here anymore so they're all on Felidae now and are doing very well, no puking. I really do believe that a good quality food will help your kitties immeasurably. It also helps keep the vet bills down.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM

Smile

Hi there, well I think you are right too. I did think that cause when i gave them Eukanuba, he started puking alot. Then I changed to Max and he didn't puke for a long time, but just started up alot and I have all these stains on my carpet. And my poor baby, I feel so bad for him. It was also recommended on this website that I try the Felidae. I will start buying the wet & dry stuff for my boys. I am also going to try to give them sardines, as one person recommended, cause the fish oils are good for their skin, etc.

Thanks again for your advice.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Good luck!