Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Grooming Schnauzers Yourself...

Is it possible to groom a schnauzer (or a terrier with a coat that needs stripping) yourself, and does the hair on thier face grow or is it fixed length?

I'm looking at options for a third dog, and there seem to be lots of both in the petfinder listings. The breeds I'm looking at now are Westies, Min or standard schnauzers, scottie terriers, or mixes there of.

I'm not crazy about the idea of getting a dog that needs to be clipped every 6 weeks in order to keep it from looking ratty (yes, I'm proud that way), and we already have one yorkie that needs constant brushing to keep his longer coat looking healthy (i'd rather brush than clip/cut), though his face always needs a trim...
I guess I was spoiled, my little shih tzu/pom mix has a lovely fixed length coat that only needs to be brushed and his face fur is naturally short...
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Performance Spaniels

They need to be groomed to be maintained.. I have friends that DIY.. And do a great job at it, but the coat isn't fixed length. They need often brushing too. They aren't low maintenance, and the face has to be groomed into a schnauzer cut.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM

hmmm... this might be harder than I thought! But I am set on a fluffy dog, so I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait... On top of my wanting a fluffy dog, it also has to agree with cats, other dogs, and like walking for over half hour at a time. I'm starting to think that that might be too big of a collar to fill, so to speak
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM

My Standard Schnauzer needs a good cut every 8 weeks. I like to keep her well groomed because she is very active in the summer heat!! She regularly needs grooming. I will say though, her coarse hair, next to nothing shedding, and hypo-allergic qualities are wonderful. I am thrilled about how easy her coat is to maintain.
Attached Images