Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Cat coughing and sneezing

I had to board my furkids for the past two weeks. I brought them home yesterday afternoon and although my two dogs took it in stride, my cat, Kitty, has me a little worried. She is eating normally, though isnt as enthusiastic about it as usual, but hasnt used the litter box since coming home. She has been sneezing and coughing a little. I looked at her closer today and her eyes seem watery and nose is runny. So I plan on making a vet appointment first thing tomorrow. A few minutes ago she had a coughing fit and gagged like she was trying to cough something up... but nothing.

Is there a feline version of kennel cough? The thing is no one noticed this behavior when she was in the kennel. They noticed she wasnt using the litter box, or eating, constistantly but we all wrote that off to stress.

I steam cleaned my carpets before I brought them all home. The stuff says its safe around pets but could she possibly be allergic?
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I don't know if cats can get kennel cough or not, but taking her to the vet is the best idea. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Cindy
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM

It could be an Upper Respiratory Infection? Best to ask the vet. I hope its not too serious
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM

I agree that it could be a URI... one of our kitties is very emotionally sensitive to being borded and she develops a URI every single time she is borded. If your cat is experiencing these, they are latent (stay dormant in the animal and come out on occassion) and come out when they're either stressed or some other situations. When our kitty gets a bad one, we take her to the vet, obviously, but it also seems to help her to get a humidifier or put her in the bathroom while I take a shower so the steam can help her breathe.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM

Took her to the vet and thats what she said it probably was, so she prescribed Clavamox. And sticking the squirter into Kitty's mouth to give the med is some kind of fun, let me tell you. Haha, actually she's been suprisingly tolerant when taking her medecine, thankfully. She's perked up a little bit and not sneezing nearly as much. I'm sure a few more days will have her back to her queen-of-the-house self. :love:
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissani View Post
Took her to the vet and thats what she said it probably was, so she prescribed Clavamox. And sticking the squirter into Kitty's mouth to give the med is some kind of fun, let me tell you. Haha, actually she's been suprisingly tolerant when taking her medecine, thankfully. She's perked up a little bit and not sneezing nearly as much. I'm sure a few more days will have her back to her queen-of-the-house self. :love:
LOL now imagine giving a pill in the same fashion.....oh my poor poor arms....

I'm glad shes ok though

Megan