Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We let Keeper go today

We let Keeper go earlier today. . . .

She had a good weekend but had crashed pretty hard in the last 24 hours, but particularly this morning.

She was somewhat disoriented earlier in the morning, wanting to go outside a few times but standing, seemingly lost and the last time, laying down on the deck in the minus 31 temperature. Carol had to carry her back into the house and, when I got home, I carried her to the Durango and then into the clinic.

Obviously, quality of life was no longer there. The cancer had likely burst inside her. We feel we did the right thing and the outcome was a certain one in any event. She was three weeks to the day into the one month time frame we had been given.

It was a peaceful passing and our vet was in tears as well having known Keeper a long time.

Keeper was the most innocent being I think I've ever known, completely without guile or pretense. It was a privilege to have known such a beautiful, unguarded soul.

She came to us as an owner surrender at one year of age, kicked out of town where she'd been exiled to her back yard, loving to bark at anything that happened to pass in the night . . . . but that loud carefulness wasn't too much appreciated in town while, in the country, she fit right in.

The time of her arrival sparked this story at Goldentales, written for my two godchildren at the time:

http://www.goldentales.ca/BARKATDARKGOLDEN.htm

Keeper a few years ago, showing a joy for life . . .

She saw many adventures . . .

. . . . but this was Keeper a week ago, near the end, an iconic and soulful image . . . .

It's been only 26 days since Abby passed and we'd like to think Keeper and Abby are off adventuring together again . . . .

. . . . but, in any event, I'll always remember Keeper as a ghostly presence when I'm out walking our place . . .

As with Abby, raise a glass to Keeper and a life well-lived and one that was well-loved.

Forever is a long time.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

Rick, I am so sorry for your loss.
Your words are so poetic and spoken from the heart - obviously your soul is as beautiful as Keeper's, and Abby's too.

I know and understand the pain you feel, and I hope that time makes it easier for you and your family.

God bless.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Through tearfilled eyes I offer my condolences to you and Carol

Keeper and Abby were such a joy to get to know on this site through your stories and pictures. Such a beautiful life you gave them both.

Somehow it is bittersweet that they are together again running at the Bridge and snuggling close together.

I hope that some day soon your pictures and stories will bring you comfort and joy and not just the tears and heartache you both must be feeling today.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,even though we knew the end was near for Keeper,I cannot hold back the tears.
I think we all felt we knew Abby and Keeper through your beautiful pictures and we will miss them,it is some comfort thinking they are now together again.
You and Carol gave these two beautiful pups the best life any dog could wish for.
My condolences to you and Carol
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
owned by Tucker

Rick my heart goes out to you and your wife, to loose two such lovely dogs in such a short time. I love the picture of them both walking in the snow leaving foot prints, like the ones they have left on all or our hearts...Abby and Keeper
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that picture of Abby and Keeper walking away together, killed me completely. That is how I will always think of them. My heart breaks for you and Carol both. How empty the fields must seem right now. The girls are back together though, running pain free at the bridge, knowing they have had the best loving and best life any dogs could ask for. There is nothing on earth you two could have done to give them any more. One day perhaps, when the time is right, a new pup may be in those fields to bark away the invaders at night. Bless you both for all you gave to the girls, and Bless Abby and Keeper together again.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry, Rick, I just can't imagine the pain you and Carol must be feeling losing such two beautiful souls so closely together. I am sure they are now together watching out for you and running free as they did in beautiful Kananaskis country. Your pics have captured their souls so wonderfully. They were both lucky to have you and Carol.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick and Carol I am so sorry but you were blessed to have such wonderful souls in your life in Abby and Keeper. I am sure they are running together and playing pain free. I look it as our lives are enriched by the pets that come into our lives.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am so very sorry, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this very difficult time.
Be free sweet Keeper

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Live well, laugh often

I love the picture of Abby & Keeper walking together on the ice . I am so sorry for your loss Rick .
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for your sentiments everyone.

I was just outside in the pitch black of the evening, running downhill to the fence in my big boots through the deep snow under the crystal clear, starry night . . . . . and then I remembered Abby and I used to do that when she was a puppy, before Keeper even, although I had a leash on her as it was before our fence was up. She loved to do that.

And then I came back and there were Keeper's last footprints still embedded in light covering of snow on the deck . . . . . still don't have the heart to take the shovel to them. I'm sure I'll just let nature gradually wipe them away.

Little memories.

Here they were, below, Keeper and Abby, a few years ago, a happy moment. What was riveting their attention? It was a warm Spring day in King Canyon, Kananaskis Country, and they were watching tiny snowballs - mini-avalanches - coming off the nearby cliffside.

Thanks again.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Rick, I'm so very sorry to hear about Keeper's passing. She was a beautiful pup. You and Carol gave her a wonderful ife.

Sweet Keeper

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick my deepest condolences.

God Bless you Rick and your family for providing such a wonderful life for both Keeper and Abby. I have thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and the stories behind them. What wonderful keep sakes to remember both by.

In rescue, it is people like you that keeps that drive going for people like me and others. I am taking this opportunity to celebrate their lives as what you have given is truly inspirational.

RIP dear Keeper. Hugs to Abby. We will miss you both so very much.

Rick - I wish you much peace and strength. It truly has been an honor knowing who Keeper and Abby were...are. Bless your heart.
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM

I understand

I know how you feel about your dog Keeper, as I had to let my lab go on Dec.26,2010. He was full of arthritis and unable to even stand anymore.So after 11 years it was time to end his pain and suffering.On Dec.31,2010 we adopted a german shepherd from a rescue group. We love this dog as much as we loved our Lab.Our lab will always be in our hearts and we have the pictures to help us along.
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Keeper Abby

I am new to this list.
I hope you will allow me to send you all our love from all our furry family.This is a memory for me. Sad time.
I had a keeper of my own long ago. And I have an Abby now.

How lovely that they filled your heart and made you happy. How lovely that you filled there hearts and made them happy

Blessings