Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Older Dog Going Deaf--Seeking Advice/Resources

My 12 1/2 year old Scottish Terrier is losing his hearing. My vet feels this is an age-related condition. I want to make sure my dog has the highest quality life possible. He is very intelligent and is quickly learning some basic hand signals. His life has dramatically improved since learning my sign for "cookie"! Fortunately, I taught him basic commands using both verbal and hand signals when he was young so now am focusing on signals such as "good boy". I have also researched the correct ways to wake him without frightening him. He is always on leash when outdoors.

He is such an important part of my life, I want to make sure that I am able to communicate with him the best I can and keep him happy and safe in his golden years. Can anyone offer me advice? Should I get him a "medic alert" tag for his collar? Thank you in advance.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Live well, laugh often

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Sometimes deaf dogs are also great with vibrations etc. so you can tap on the floor and they will feel that.
Good luck.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Doggie Wench

You may find this podcast valuable: http://www.pets.ca/blog/wp-content/u..._podcast20.mp3

Kudos to you for taking the time to learn about caring for your pup in his senior years .
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

For the most part he may not even notice. My westie x lived to 16 and he gradually lost hearing and got cataracts in his late years. He didn't even pay attention.

You can test to see what sounds your dog 'does' here by pitch.

Call his name in high pitch from the other room
Call his name in med pitch " "
Call his name in low pitch " "

See if you get anywhere.
Then try clapping first
Then try whistle

That way you can figure out what sounds he can still pick up on.
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Do you have two scotties?
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I would add to the good ideas you already have. It can be quite frightening for a deaf dog to have people sneak up on him. Of course you don't mean to, but he doesn't hear you coming like he used to. He may be startled to suddenly discover you, or someone else, very much closer to him unexpectedly and a startled dog can bite, bark, and just generally react in ways completely foreign to him and you. Watch children and visitors to be sure they don't approach him from behind or when he is sleeping. Loss of vision can have the same effect.

It is really sad when they go deaf. Unlike humans, they don't know they are deaf and I think they wonder why we are teasing them by talking and moving our mouths but not making sounds. Sometimes deafness can resemble senility as the dog will look into other rooms as if someone is there. When they have partial hearing loss, just like humans, they will mistake one sound for another. Normal household sounds can make them think someone is there.

Hand signals are a good idea and since many dogs go deaf in their older years it is good to start teaching hand signals early. Whistle training is also a good idea as whistles might still be audible to the dog.

Deaf dogs and cats can often hear those dog deterring devices that walkers and bicyclers use to ward off dogs. The high pitched sound is not audible to human ears but is painful or unpleasant to dogs with normal hearing. They can often still be heard by hearing impaired animals. I used to use one to catch my deaf cat's attention. It did not seem to be painful to her once she was quite deaf.

Last edited by Longblades; November 17th, 2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM

It would be a much better world if more people were as caring as you are about their doggies!

I don't have any advice, but I do have a 15 year old chihuahua who is losing his hearing and wanted to share a couple of things I've noticed that may happen with your dog as well. He seems to have trouble discerning where a sound is coming from. We can call his name from a little distance, and he will look everywhere trying to figure out where it came from. Also, if he is standing somewhere or walking through a room and you are approaching, he doesn't hear you coming and step out of the way like other dogs do, so we have to watch for that and be careful not to step on him. Of course, some of this may have to do with him beginning to develop cataracts, and I'm sure he doesn't see as well as he used to. It is indeed sad to watch them grow old... :sad:
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Luba, yes, we have 2 Scotties. Mac is our 12 1/2 year old. He has been with us since he was a puppy. Tipper is our 10 year-old; we were the family selected to give her a home when her owner died six years ago. We love our Scotties.
-----
I feel really bad that I didn't recognize Mac's hearing loss sooner. I had discussed the fact that he was sleeping very soundly with my vet months ago. But it wasn't until Tipper had her surgery and the two were isolated for a few days that we realized what was going on with Mac. Tipper had been serving as his "hearing-ear dog". Mac can hear her bark. He can hear me if I use a really high-pitch "baby-talk" voice. He does not seem to hear my husband at all. My vet thinks the hearing loss is to certain frequencies, but I want to be prepared if he does go completely deaf.

We rarely have children around him, and I will be very careful when any are around him. Mac likes people, but I want to make sure he is not startled. I wake him gently by either putting my hand in front of his nose, or stroking his shoulder lightly. He wakes peacefully this way.

Mac is responding well to the new hand signals and seems quite happy. I'm doing the "cookie" signal first and when I get his attention, then say the word. Mac is responding before Tipper. Before, it was Tipper's bark alerting him. I will try the whistles, but need to make sure it doesn't bother my other Scottie--I'll have to weigh the pros and cons here. The podcast had some great info. I'm going to listen to it again. Right now, hubby is playing with a little remote car with flashing lights--Mac is bouncing at it and having a ball. Thanks everyone for the information.
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your poor boy. I also have a deaf dog, Bailey, 11 year old basenji/husky cross. A dogs most important sense is smell, even above sight. I learned this when I had a blind dog. So I think in order of importance to a dog, it is smell, sight then hearing. My girl adapted well to hand commands and she can hear me clap my hands if I do it loudly. You may want to experiment with different things, whistles, hand clapping, high and low sounds, to find out if he is totally deaf or partially deaf. Also test out squeeky toys. Dogs adapt well to disabilities. Bailey can feel the breeze when I open the door, even when in another room. She watches my facial expression and I use a smile, nod and hand clap when she has been very good. You may even want to wear a fragance so he knows when you approach and where you are. (Less is more. ) It sounds like you're very caring and I'm sure your boy will do just fine.

I have an adult son who suddenly lost 90% of his hearing in his late 20's. Now at 33 he is doing well. I'm the one who is still a mess when I think of it.

Good luck and let us all know how he is doing.
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sounds like you are doing wonderful. The two dogs will help eachother out and this won't be as bad as you think. I am so happy to see someone care so much.
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:03 AM
-

Having lived with an older mostly blind and mostly deaf sweet old dog for a few years I agree, you are doing all the right things.This is a website that may help: http://www.deafdogs.org/training/
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM

The deafdogs.org sight is wonderful. I've learned so much from it. I do think Mac feels air currents and vibrations. This and his following Tipper's lead for sounds made it so hard to figure out he had a problem. One thing that I've discovered, if Mac is alone in a room with a closed door he will sleep right in front of the door. I think this may be a way he feels he is protecting his safety. But we have learned that we must knock on the door before entering so we don't startle him or bump him. Another thing he is doing is watching for shadows. If we come up behind him and the room is well lit, he will respond to our shadow if it is in front of him. I feel comfortable that he will adapt. He isn't as interested in his squeak toys, so I'm going to look for some safe toys that have flashy lights--he had a light-up ball as a pup that he really loved.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
-

I'm so pleased that we were able to help you. Please stay in touch?
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Hi,

My 14 1/2 yr old collie has been deaf for over the past two years. Maybe it's because I've raised her since she was six weeks old, but honestly, I've never detected a single issue with her losing her hearing (on her behalf). Now it bothered ME quite a bit when it happened, but most of the time, now I don't even remember she's deaf. She still adores all of her toys, squeeky included (go figure) and knows exactly what I'm saying and what I mean, as long as she is facing me. IMO, I think many times, their deafness bothers us far more than it bothers them. Thanks to her excellent diet, moderate exercise and arthritis control, she seems as happy and healthy as ever.

Best of luck!

Elizabeth
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
-

I couldn't agree with you more BrazenShelby ~ I know Declan is likely deaf as a post (as they say) but I'm quite certain he knows EXACTLY what I'm saying to him and sometines chooses not to "hear" But he's my little boogerhead.
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM

EXACTLY, mummummum LOL!!! Her intelligence to this day never ceases to amaze me, particularly the "selective hearing" part (which I, of course, can read immediately). It's as if she's is telepathically communicating, "Oh me?" as innocently as possible, when she knows exactly what's going on. Amazing!
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM

In the past I have had two pets both became deaf. It didn't slow them down at all. They knew by hand motion to come. The good news was that they no longer barked at every sound they heard. It is ashame but I do not feel that it hurt their quality of life.

Greg

Last edited by Ford; November 18th, 2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: No self-promotion please
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM

Here is one more thing you may try. If even one nerve in his ears is okay even if the middle ear is totally damaged, he will be able to hear through vibrations in his skull bone to the nerve. So, if you talk to him with your head or jaw bone touching his, he may be able to hear you. The sound travels through the skull to one or both nerves. I do this with Bailey but don't really know if she hears me.