Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Snake Champion

Dog pooping indoors - new to group

Hi to all,

I am new to this group and really have no idea what I am doing. I do have a puppy training frustration rather than question. I have 2 dogs one is 8 years old and his training was great. it was like he was meant to learn. hy frustration is with our 7 month old sheppard Bayou who refuses to have a bowel movement outside. he will pee outside no problem. he has that down but the movements are always in the house and always just after we get in. we can be out side for 10 min or 3 hours and still he poops in the house the moment we get in. why? does anyone know and how can I correct this before I go crazy. I also know he knows it is wrong because he seems to give a grin as he does it.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Try leash walking, it gets the bowel movements going esp about 30 min after a meal. Reward for going too!
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Marty has a good suggestion and it may well work.

But if it doesn't work, If he does potty indoors within 10 min of returning to the house, observe the dog carefully and try catching him in the act. Most dogs have some sort of ritual behaviour before they poop (often it's walking in a circle). As he's doing this behaviour a loud NO and taking him outside (maybe keep the leash attached - or have a "half leash" attached) immediately might help. (If you do not catch the dog in the act - any punishment is a waste of time and might harm your relationship with the dog.)

If he does poop outdoors - extreme praise (right after he's finishing pooping) with good treats makes for a nice reward.

As far as I know, dogs don't grin....so imo, you are likely misinterpreting this behaviour.
Dogs have no "evil intent". Their main goal on planet earth is normally pleasing their owner.
Hope that may help - if it does not I would highly recommend getting a private consultation from a trainer. make sure the trainer comes referred by someone you trust.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Is he always pooping in the same place indoors? What are you using to clean after him? It is extremely important to use a good enzymatic cleaner to remove any traces of poop from the floor.
Any scent left over will only serve as a marker to your dog that this is the place to poop. Keep in mind that his nose is way more sensitive that a human's and even if you cannot smell anything on the floor, the dog might.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Snake Champion

Thanks,
I will try walking more, I do spend time out there with him. but I will try walking after he eats. Bayou does drive by eating and doesn't sit and eat like Buddy does so I might just try walking outside every hour for a bit. he does a high pitch bark to go pee so I am half way there just need him to clue in about the pooping.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Snake Champion

Thanks Marko ,
I really am willing to try anything as this is a huge matter to me. I believe you with the no intent to do bad with dogs and that they all want to please us. I may have just forgotten how to train him as our oldest dog is 8 years old and he seemed to be so easy. I will watch closer to his behavior as I know he is still young and learning the pack rules in this house. thanks again guys for the advice.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board banditsflower. I think of you are having these issues you need to work on the pup's eating habits so that his bowel movements are more predictable. Drive by eating should not be allowed. Another problem with that type of free feeding is you don't really know how much he is eating. I would put his food down (twice a day or whatever) and allow him 15 minutes to eat it. After that pick it up and don't give it back until his next feeding time. He will learn quickly that he has to eat when it's offered. Regular feeding will make it much easier for you to determine a schedule for his bowel movements. The other advice is great. Also, if you know he's going to go after you bring him in, keep him on leash and with you so that as soon as he squats you can loudly tell him NO and haul him outside. Make sure you have excellent treats in your pocket at all times so that he can instantly be rewarded for pooping OUTSIDE. You must be persistent to remedy this, but it can be done. Do not ever rub his nose in it - not that you said you did - but some people think this helps. Uck.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Snake Champion

Thanks Mirela,
Yes he always uses the same spot indoors. except when my husband comes home. (he works 3 weeks out and 1 week home) then Bayou does it on the floor beside my husbands side of the bed. I use bleach to clean it, I have tried dog be gone scent remover and found that he still used the same spot. I think I am going to get a trainer because this is becoming a big issue. other wise he listens well, he knows comands and he is becoming a great mannored dog like his older dog Buddy.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Snake Champion

hi Dog Dancer,
interesting idea with raisung the food. would it bother the older dog who does sit to eat? I think that is an awesome idea and I will try that. no I don't rub his nose in it I never did believe in that, I don't scold him after he has done it because I know he won't understand why I am mad at him. I guess part of me expected the older dog to have jumped in as well and helped. I know that is a bad thought but it's true.
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Both of the dogs should have a time limit on how long their food will sit on the floor. If they don't eat it up it goes and they get it next time around. Even the older dog will get used to the idea if needs be. I know with my lab, she eats and then within 10 minutes she poops. She is very predictable! Hopefully a scheduled feeding time will help you.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
Snake Champion

Thank you Dog Dancer,
I have been doing the timed dog feeding for both and Buddy the oldest is confused but dealing with this change. As for Bayou the pooping puppy. he has had less accedents in the house. It is a training thing for me too but so far this is working and I have been watching like to other guys said as to what he does before he needs to go and we have not had near as many mistakes in the house. Thank you to all again you have saved me some sanity. I will also get use to the dishing out of food and all will be happy in the house soon. Thanks from Banditsflower.