Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
banned user

Question Recipes ?? ---- HELP !!!!

Hi,

Can someone provide some links to trusted websites that provide the recipes for BARF for cats ?

And some good books with recipes, too please !
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
-

I can't help you on the cat - RAW front however, given that you had earlier posted a thread about the "best" breed of cat with fighting and outdoor life survival skills, I did want to make certain you are clear that feeding animals a raw diet does NOT make them more aggressive or instill in them a "blood-lust". That is an old husband's tale.
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

This site is one of the best for making raw cat food: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

And here is a book for you to check out: Raising Cats Naturally

Another book I highly recommend, although it doesn't really contain actual recipes, is this one: YOUR CAT, Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life It's written by Dr. Hodgkins, a vet who specializes in felines, and she has the inside scoop on the whole pet food industry (used to work for Hill's). Tons of excellent info on general cat care and diet. Every cat owner should read it, IMO.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
banned user

Question

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;472211]This site is one of the best for making raw cat food: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

Thanks, but there only seems to be one main recipe. Is that it then just use the same recipe over and over again ? Sorry, newbie question !
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessGator View Post
Thanks, but there only seems to be one main recipe. Is that it then just use the same recipe over and over again ? Sorry, newbie question !
You can vary the meat source (ie chicken, rabbit, etc) but ya, the basic structure of the recipe should remain the same. Here's a similar one: http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood...he_Ingredients

The thing is, with cats especially, there are some very specific ratios of nutrients that you need to maintain (calcium-phosphorous, in particular). The above recipe has been tried and tested by many and is proven to be balanced for a normal healthy cat (if your cat has a medical condition such as CRF, it would be better to consult with a vet first). You can read this article on why it's not a good idea to mess with ingredients too much: http://www.caberfeidh.com/NaturalDiet.htm

Are you looking for something in particular in a recipe? Or just trying to get a feel for what's involved?

I suggest you do lots of reading about feeding raw before you start making any yourself so that you understand all the basics. It's not something to be taken too lightly.

Quote:
A homemade diet can be the best or the worst thing you can feed your pet. If you are going to feed homemade, do it right. Use a recipe or feeding plan based on sound nutritional principles, which has been used by many people over a long period of time. I faithfully weighed and measured every bite I gave my dogs and cats for over ten years before I felt comfortable enough modifying their diets. For cats I still feel best feeding a very precise recipe.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's one more website for you: http://www.holisticat.com/rawrecipe.html

Old September 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
banned user

Question Where is the fish ?

I notice none of the recipes use fish ?

I know there are fish recipes in the pet smart, is seafood a no-no ??
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessGator View Post
I notice none of the recipes use fish ?

I know there are fish recipes in the pet smart, is seafood a no-no ??
Fish is probably okay for supplementation, but should not make up the bulk of a cat's diet (that goes for commercial foods as well):

Quote:
An enzyme found in all raw fish, called thiaminase, can destroy vitamin B-1 (Thiamin), leading to neurological disorders accompanied by a general physical wasting due to loss of appetite. [2] This enzyme can be destroyed by cooking the food, which however reduces overall nutritional density of the food itself as well.

...fish meat seems to contain insufficient amounts of the trace minerals iron, zinc, copper, and manganese, making fish meat in the end an unsuitable choice as a base for a staple feline diet, because it would require unreasonable supplementation [2].
More from this website: http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/fish.php