Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:13 PM

Shiloh

Our 17 year old dog Shiloh passed away today suddenly after having a fall. She had been falling more and more these last few months due to her physical and mental decline and so we tried to help her with ramps and blocking off stairs but she had become so weak and frail, that literally in a matter of seconds she passed away. Although I felt like I was constantly watching her it seems like the second you turn you back, something would happen and so we feel like we are to blame. She was now down to 39lb and just couldn't keep weight on even though her appetite seemed to be relatively good lately. In her adult years she was 60lbs and I was shocked that it was back in 2012 that she last weighed that. Her decline has been so slow and painful to watch and we probably considered 100 times over in the last few months to let her go but for whatever reason saw the best in the situation and still tried to struggle on. She was a wonderful, sweet dog and she was my world so I will miss her very much and hope we gave her as much as she gave to us. This is the most recent photo of her that a neighbour took this past November. She wrote and article about her in the local community paper about caring for an ageing dog. She gained much attention because of her slow walking style but despite her disability we still managed to walk every day and it was my hope that it would keep her strong and her appetite alive. Thanks all who have helped us over the years with advice and caring words for both Timber and Shiloh.
Attached Images

Old February 7th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

She was a beautiful gal. Wow 17 is such an amazing age.
Thinking of you and your family. Timer and Shilon will be romping together now...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Shiloh I am really sorry for the lost of your good friend she was very lucky to have you for her best friend. She was a lovely girl .

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 9th, 2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry, SuperWanda! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and picturing the fun Shiloh and Timber are having together while they wait for you.

What a wonderful guardian you were for them! You were their angel here on earth and now they're your angels keeping watch over you.

Shiloh

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:50 PM

So sorry for your loss. Shiloh. Such a beautiful picture of you both.
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:59 PM

I have a border collie/lab mix that is also 17, and even though she is doing fairly well, it is so hard to know there is a very short time left. I hope ours goes on her own, as did your dog. She was beautiful
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Thank you all for your kind words.

I can't stand to think now how much worse it could have been if she was injured and we had to rush her somewhere. Thankfully it was quick and painless but feel a little upset that we might have made a mistake in keeping her with us this long, when she was so frail and weak. It will be hard now to adjust without her as she was a constant worry and I tried not to leave her long. My world revolved around her especially during the last few years when she needed me so much. I'm sure this will get better with time, but right now my brain is wired into constantly thinking what I need to do for her and it still seems to be programmed that way, even though she is gone.
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:01 PM

Just read about your loss of Shiloh and want to offer our condolences. She was a lucky lady to have had you as her guardian and companion for so many years.
I don't think there was anything else you could have done for her. She was ready to go and she picked her time to cross.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh No SW. Even though this was kinda expected, it was not expected at all. I am so very sorry.

You were wonderful with Shiloh. She had a neurodegenerative disorder, and you supported her as it ran it's fatal course. I see so many similarities with my mom, from her dementia, falling, and passing away. There is nothing you could have done but lover her and be there for her and support her, which you did and could not have done better. I believe she stayed and passed away just as she would have wished, please have no guilt in this. It will take quite a bit of healing, it always does when we stick by those so closely and lovingly.

Run free Shiloh, you were so loved, and now you are in free with no pain or falling...
Old February 11th, 2016, 07:44 PM

Sweet Angel Shiloh

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying