Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Advice on Growing Pains after adopting a Puppy

I am new to the forums and I hope this is the appropriate location for this advice post. I assumed with the like minded dog rescuers in one place I may get some great advice.

Firstly, my husband and I are proud owners of a 2.5 year old Golden Retriever. Roxy has always been a shy dog who loves her walks and play time. Well behaved, no aggressions excellent with kids despite us not having any. She is well socialized with people and other dogs, she pretty much goes everywhere with us and is expected to act appropriately.

For the past year, off and on we have discussed getting Roxy a companion. Roxy has always enjoyed socializing with other dogs in her own territory, the other dogs space or neutral ground. So, two weeks ago a labx puppy showed up through a local pet network as a courtesy posting to rehome her for issues with being too much with small children in the house. My husband knew a bit more about the situation (small community) and we made the decision to rescue her. Sophie, was undernourished and needed some basic attention and discipline. We have pretty much house trained her now and she is crate training. Sophie is all around a lovely little pup with typical pup tendencies.

Now the issue arises, that we feel we may have misread our senior dog. We have done all the things that have been recommended, give them space, proper reprimanding, giving Roxy one on one time. We have set up appointments with a dog trainer to try and work on both dogs behavioural issues as well as how they interact together. I feel like it's not fair to either dog to continue to force this cohabitation, but I am also aware that two weeks is not long enough for a transition.

At what point do you decide that you should rehome a puppy? Please keep in mind that this is our last resort we really do want this to work out and have Sophie be a member of our family. We said from the beginning that if this didn't appear to be working, at least Sophie was safe with us and we could be her family until we found a better fit and we are committed to that fully! We have talked to a few organizations and they keep saying that the issues aren't THAT bad, other pet parents have dealt with worse etc. I know there is a plethora of unwanted and adoptable dogs out there and maybe they are trying to deter a surrender, but at what point do you say, this is not working and come to terms with that and start looking for a suitable home for the puppy?

Sorry this is so long, this whole issue is weighing very heavily on my heart and mind. I just want to do the right thing by my girls even if it means giving one up for adoption.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:20 AM

What exactly is happening between the two dogs that indicates it's not working out?
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Well,

Sophie is totally oblivious for starters as far as her and us are concerned her behaviour is normal puppy behaviour. Roxy also has normal responses to Sophie, if she has had enough she lets Sophie know and that works most of the time and doesn't concern us, we intervene when necessary and give them time apart.

With Roxy, she always had a routine and now she has a new one, that will take some adjustment time understandably. But it is her demeanor that has changed and that concerns me. She not only avoids the puppy, now she avoids us. We have to encourage her to eat, we know she isn't sleeping at night. She has shown some food bowl aggression that I think we have deterred. Roxy has always been submissive and timid and I feel like we misread her, last night I awoke to find her obsessively licking her paws and pulling on the hair which is behaviour she has never shown before.
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by julep382 View Post
Sophie is totally oblivious for starters as far as her and us are concerned her behaviour is normal puppy behaviour. Roxy also has normal responses to Sophie, if she has had enough she lets Sophie know and that works most of the time and doesn't concern us, we intervene when necessary and give them time apart.

With Roxy, she always had a routine and now she has a new one, that will take some adjustment time understandably. But it is her demeanor that has changed and that concerns me. She not only avoids the puppy, now she avoids us. We have to encourage her to eat, we know she isn't sleeping at night. She has shown some food bowl aggression that I think we have deterred. Roxy has always been submissive and timid and I feel like we misread her, last night I awoke to find her obsessively licking her paws and pulling on the hair which is behaviour she has never shown before.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/dog_pulli...l#.VFFIgOkg-M8

That can be a sign of stress in dogs. You could try taking Roxy on walks before bed time to help her burn off her pined up energy . She will also have some along time with you. I guess Roxy is so use to having all your attention and being the only kid in the house she lie being an only 'child' . Some pets are like that.
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

And here I am thinking you meant "growing pains" literally, an ailment of puppies otherwise known as Panosteitis.

First up I'd get a full Vet Check on Roxy, blood panel, the works. All those things could be the result of disease, maybe thyroid. It would be a coincidence I know but such things do happen.

Food aggression to you? Or to the puppy? The dogs should be fed far enough apart that one cannot bother the other. If the food aggression is to you then I ask for more description.

It has been a short time but I'd check out Roxy's health before I'd make any decisions. I hope it works out. It's very good of you to take on the puppy.
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

It was difficult to understand what the problem was from what was written.

But if it's a 'food aggression' potential problem - I 100% agree with Longblades. Feed them separately.

I might actually put them in separate rooms while preparing the meal. Then I'd provide the room service to feed them. A few minutes later I'd go collect the hopefully empty food bowls. Then I'd let both dogs back out.

I also agree on the checkup for Roxy.

Hope that may help
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:09 PM

I was using food aggression as an uncharacteristic trait as Roxy shares with everybody else at home or elsewhere and no issues. I can deal with food bowl, what I can't deal with is my normal, social, loving dog hiding from us and self mutilating. I would rather she take it out on the furniture than herself! I will book Roxy into the vet and hopefully we can figure something out.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any specific experience with new doggie relationships (just cats!), but I wonder if a DAP Diffuser would help at all (in conjunction with a vet visit)? http://www.dapdiffuser.com/ The feline version, Feliway, did help me with integrating my 5 cats together.

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:27 AM

Same situation

Hi Julep,
I would love to hear how it is going with you! I am in a similar situation. We have a 4 yr old male Lab/Akita mix. Loves other dogs and enjoys playtime with them. Thought he would enjoy a puppy companion as I work from home now and he seems sad and bored that I am unavailable but physically present. We found a pittie girl and adopted her. The first meeting didn't go great, but thought it would be okay. Took her home and now he is just depressed. She bites him and chases him and doesn't listen when he growls or gives her "no" signals. She is bossy and making him miserable. I am correcting her behavior and not allowing her to continually pester him, but he is just not himself. I don't know at what point I should say this is bad for him and consider rehoming her.
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, an update would be nice. Has it gotten any better?

DAP is a good idea. You can get DAP collars. I meet a lady at agility trials who has one for her exciteable dog and she's happy it takes the edge off him a bit. Mind you, she's using for a different reason than you would.

LOL, is it CAP for cats? Must be.