Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old December 8th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I agree that this thread has gotten out of hand. BTW, where is Destine? She's asks a question, but doesn't come back to check out her resopnses?

The only reason I brought up human adoption and animal adoption is because I hate being made to feel bad for having a purebred dog. I wanted to get a border collie and couldn't find one at that time that was a pup, that was close to me in rescue, so I bought one after doing a lot of research. It was a great experience to be able to meet the pup and her siblings, the people breeding them, and her parents. It was a unique feeling for me since up to that point I had only rescued. Also, when I say a pup in rescue close to me, I mean anywhere in Alberta, eastern BC, or western Sask. When we were looking for pups, we drove all over Alberta to meet the people breeding and the dogs they were breeding before we chose the people we did.

When we rescued Helix, we rented a Jeep and drove to Lloydminster (about a 6 - 7 hour drive from Calgary) with both Red and Kia, and stayed in a motel overnight just to pick him up, even though the people in the rescue were coming to Calgary and would have brought him with them for us! We drove so we could get him sooner and spend more time with him! I hate people that think I'm adding to this problem and making me feel bad, when I obviously love animals A LOT! Okay, that's enough. I feel better now that I've vented. Thank you.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Are you kidding?

You need a dog right now, pronto, before christmas, because you "feel as is something is missing from your family". Did you get a kid because "something was missing in your relationship", did you get married because you felt "you were not complete".....
Consider getting a dog if you like to spend a lot of time walking outdoors and getting healthy with your pooch, and caring for him because you enjoy spending time with animals --not because your family is DULL!
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the counter-arguement to people who buy from breeders adding to the problem would be, would they have bought a dog if they couldn't get that breed? If yes, it could be said they might be adding to the problem, but if no, then they would not be. I think most people who go to the trouble of searching for a breeder would not be adding to the problem, because they would not go to a shelter for any type of dog. Of course, there will always be anomalies to this, but I think in general this is true.

Again, Daisy was a pity-rescue , so this is just my theory.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Heelers you really don't need to justify getting a dog from a breeder you obviously care deeply about animals and have done your share of rescues. If this is a dog you wanted then so be it. Same for you Dogue.
Dee, I am sorry but I treat my dog like my child because to me he is. I have never wanted 2 legged type. My #1 concern is animals they always get the short end of the stick when it comes to funding and rights. They did not asked to be dumped in fields or on a highway or drowned or the numerous other things that are done to them. This board is about them not children because a lot of us do consider them our children. Your points are all valid about children and adoption but honestly not what my biggest concern, I know that sounds cold but it is how I feel.
Code:
I've actually been to China and travelled quite a bit through south east Asia. The situation is a tad bit different in reality. There are not girls in cages being euthanized, however their policies on one child families are of course renowned. I definately do not liken it to the scope of the animal over population epidemic as it does not span the globe. Western culture, among others, is an example of that. Of course there is strife; disease; hunger, however that's reality, not overpopulation.
I guess you missed the special on the Discovery Channel with Lisa Ling where she showed the rooms in China called the dying rooms where they leave girls in there for days with no human contact or food or medical attention and let them die by themselves and let the other abandoned girls tell them when they are dead.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Thanks Mastiff. It's hard being told that I am causing the problem rather than trying to help fix it. I also just got a call from another volunteer group that I was accepted to help out with. It's a group that helps people cope with the loss of their pet. I go to orientation next month! I can't wait to help out some more!

In Dee's defence though, I brought up the whole analogy between human adoption and pet adoption to illustrate a point that got taken out of control and out of context. I hope this thread gets back on track and back to the main point which is the fact that Destine wants a dog. I don't think Destine will be eligible to adopt a dog as she is "getting rid of" her cat due to her husbands allergies towards it, and is getting a dog instead. Her husband is not allergic to the other cat, just the one. She hasn't rehomed her cat yet, and is already planning on getting her dog. As I stated before, that's just not right, or fair. She makes it sound like she's trading in a car rather than a life..... So where are you Destine? Why haven't you come back?
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Delirium I just reread my post and it was not meant as a jab at you but I meant you should see it they were saying how these dying rooms were a well kept secret and they were well hidden. You should really see it I found it appalling that this could and still does go on.
You know what she is going to buy her oodle and we have tried to get our point across but she is not open to hearing it. So she will go support her byb and I hope for the dogs sake it is healthy because honestly that is all that is important. Plus she will keep one more money grabbing person employed at the cost of all these dogs lives. But that is not the important thing the first and foremost important thing is that she get her designer mutt for way to money. Instead of going to a shelter that has all of these dogs in them but you dont have to pay 600.00 for one so they are mutts and hers will be a designer mutt, and she also can say it came from a breeder (not saying what kind of breeder). She could actually get a purebred dog from a shelter Oh but there is that shelter word again and we could never tell our friends our dog came from a shelter.
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Just a little about facts, regarding the epidemic of children in orphanages go to http://www.missionfinder.org/orphanages.htm# It has a list of only Christian based orphanages around the world.... there are 4pages with about 100 per page in just 3rd world countries, not to mention the 100's it lists in North America. Many of these orphanages "rescues" children who would otherwise be left to die due to HIV/AIDS, and other illnesses. The Romanian orphanages have literal cages stacked atop each other where babies and yourg children are kept. China, Belize and many African nations have cribs stacked atop each other where some Children are only taken out every few days. If you want to bring up the topic of Children and Adoptions and not call it an epidemic then you must not have done any research..... Trust me (due to familial overseas adoptions) we have done a lot of research. The above site is just a listing of Christian run facilities, not all the state/country facilities.
I agree with you that children and dogs are different..... but for some of us here, our dogs/cats are our children, we neither have nor want the 2 legged kind..... Both are innocent, and neither deserve the abuse heaped on them both in this country, this continent, and the world in general.
Think about the sexual abuse rates in this country, the physical abuse rates, genital mutilation of infants, deplorable orphanage conditions, parents killing their own children.... there is an epidemic of abuse, torment, disease and neglect against the children of the world.
Just my 2 cents..... (don't mean to offend anyone)
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM

I really didn't mean to start anything regarding the comparison between children and animal adoptions, but I find it funny that when the situation warrents it, like with training, people always compare raising a dog to raising a child, but when the comparison about adoptions is made, it's all of a sudden "irrelevent". I agree with what sheriffmom says about children suffering all over the world, North America included, being an epidemic, but that is a topic for another board.

Anyways, mastifflover, it was fruithead who is talking about getting the schnoodle, not destine, although fruithead sortof hijacked this thread with her rudeness and ignorance about schnoodles. This thread was started by destine who has not come back to post since she started it. Hmmm...I smell a pair of trolls!!!!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry got lost in this mayhem it is hard to keep track of all the characters
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

We really need a bouncing ball, like those sing-along shows have, to help you keep track.

And I agree, children and dogs do have similarities, and differences, as I found out when my brother-in-law asked me to baby sit. When he asked about diapers, I said what diapers? I've raised a few dogs, and you just put paper down and let them walk around naked. I haven't been asked since...
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:55 PM

I always say I'll have a 2legged creature when I can leave them in a crate for 2hrs to go shopping, and there are "boarding kennels" for them, when I need an overnight break!!! LOL
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not baby sit if they are in diapers it will not happen. I figure if I have gone my whole life with never changing a diaper I am not going to ruin a perfectly good track record.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM

That's funny! My mom had my sis when I was 11 years old so I got the pleasure of diaper changing and giving up my summers to babysit the brat!! Oooopps!! Did I say that out loud?

We plan on having kids, but not until my pups grow up a bit. That could be years from now!!! I honestly can't wait to be a mommy! Until they're 8. Then they can get a job and move out!! Just kidding!!!!!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM

There is a clear misunderstanding (or mis reading) of my points re: children. I personally don't like them, nor do I want them. Also, since we're still talking about pets this thread isn't off topic. Finally, and i'll state again, one can dance around the facts in each universe all day. The point is, they don't transfer over and if they did you'd have to convert the numbers. When you do, they can't even compare.

Dee
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm,I find it hard to understand how we who have purebreds(from licenced responsible breeders)are contributing to the over population.I would say that 80-90% of of the dogs all over come from BYB's and puppy mills and irrisponsible owners who do NOT spay and neuter.Breed when they come in first heat,which can be at even 6 months.And only do it for the money.My sister has 4 dogs.Three Siberians and a Border Collie.Her one comes from a licenced responsible breeder.Sydney was a return to the breeder.The other 2 and the Border Collie were rescues.Since she is on a farm she would love to rescue more.But 4 is enough along with 4 teenagers.I guess I should call her and tell her she has contributed to the over population.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:38 PM

I believe I've stated a few times already in this thread how I feel that they do so i'm not going to do it again.

This is a time of crisis. Time to abandon frivolty and pick up a shovel.

Dee
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Mona, you just can't get through to some people, so don't worry about it.

This thread was starting to get off topic, since the original question was whether Destine should get a chi or a bully. We all got off topic by talking about purebreds and about kids and adoption. To me, that misses the point entirely of whether destine should get a chi or a bully.
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
Mona, you just can't get through to some people, so don't worry about it.
And you know, I completely agree.

Mona, in furthering my research on service animals, my focus has really turned to specifically GSDs. While I realise that your breeder is retired, what was their name? I've found a bit of a history of the breed and its champions in Ontario. Tragic how its one of the most prevalent dogs in Ontario shelters.

Dee
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM
banned user

Destine21. I am sorry but what you are looking for and why is all wrong. only my two cents. the people commenting on your post, are right
Closed Thread