Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Calling All Itty Dog Owners :D

Ok, so it's for sure I am getting my two dogs Mac is a purebred CKC registered Chihuahua. He's black and only about 5lbs. Hala is a mix, I think Chihuahua and something (she has terrier hair), about 8lbs. I met Hala 4 months ago when picking up Sadie for my Mom. Hala was born Christmas Day '08, was bottle raised and has a hare lip. She's adorable. I haven't seen Mac yet, but we'll be getting them both soon. He is 1 1/2 years and she is almost 1 (so still puppies).

Now, it has litterally been years since I've have a itty bitty dog. My only small dog was Sophie, a Chihuahua, 15 years old (we had her 2 years). That was more than 10 years ago. She was quite old and wasn't very active in the least. Gary's dog, Tico, was a senior also when I moved in, and he was not a playful boy by then, lol.

So, my questions are: what will I need for them? I have small dog harnesses x2, someone is mailing me 2 Service Dog in Training vests, I have pee pads, newspapers and a low cat pan and spot for it, I have a kennel and blankets. I will need to get leashes (I may end up making my own for them, since they will be walked together). A friend is sending me a clicker, and I have about 35 dog training books (from puppies to older dogs, tricks and other behaviors that a SD should know). I will get their food from the rescue, and will then decide on what to feed them (how often? Would free feeding a specific amount each be ok?). I have meat in the freezer to get them onto raw once they have settled in here.

For toys, I know they like stuffed animals (which I have tons of here). What else would be good for them? We have lots of cat toys (large balls with bells in them, laser light, etc).

Treats for training - what do you recommend? Also, does anyone have any links to patterns for making dog clothes (I can adapt to make winter stuff for them, warmer vests, etc)?

Anything else I should know? I will be sticking with the vet I've had the most experience with, and has been an invaluable (I hope that is the word?) asset to us

Ok, thanks so much! I am very excited! And yes, I will post billions of photos once I have them!!
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations TT on your upcoming arrivals. It sounds like you have all of the necessary items on hand for these two new lovlies Mac and Hala, I am sure they will settle in woth you and your family quickly. Oops, did you mention beds?? or will they have their own spots on the master bed ?
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

They will have beds on the floor near our bed (or in the crate, not sure which yet) Thats because our bed is a pet free zone (for sleeping, as I'm allergic to everything), and it's not that big, lol. Plus, having them in one spot will keep them safer, as I tend to bumble around at night, lol. Also our groomer for Tico is excited to see these two, which is great (not that they need it, as I usually groom my own critters, but nails and ears they can do, lol).
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM

I have a 10lb dog myself. Im no expert but here is what i know.

Quote:
I will get their food from the rescue, and will then decide on what to feed them (how often? Would free feeding a specific amount each be ok?). I have meat in the freezer to get them onto raw once they have settled in here.
We free fed our dog when he was much younger, but at around 8 months, we stopped and gave him portions twice daily. Once after his walk in the morning, and another time at night. He never had any problems with low blood sugar or anything. You can always free feed in small amounts so they actually finish the bowl in less than a day, that way you know exactly how much they eat.

Quote:
For toys, I know they like stuffed animals (which I have tons of here). What else would be good for them? We have lots of cat toys (large balls with bells in them, laser light, etc).
Watch out for the noses and the eyes or any other hard plastic on the stuffed animals. Mine kept chewing them and taking them out.

There are some really nice squeaker balls that most dogs like. My dog loves this toy: http://mrpets.ca/Products/Product.as...&categoryid=-2
and dont forget a small kong!

Quote:
Treats for training - what do you recommend?
Since our dog gets home made/raw, we give him orijen kibble as treats. I figure its healthier than regular treats.

Quote:
Anything else I should know? I will be sticking with the vet I've had the most experience with, and has been an invaluable (I hope that is the word?) asset to us
Watch out for pancreatitis, most little dogs get it if they have too much fatty foods.
Have the vet check their knees for luxating patella, lots of little dogs have weak knees.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you LM! I will deffinitely look into that toy and watch the stuffies. I think I have a coupon for free Merrik food and free Nature's Varriety food, so I will try those as treats
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congrats on the new additions, TT! How exciting to be getting two newbies!

I'm too clutzy to have little dogs I need something big enough to survive being tripped over by lead-foot Mom. So I have no advice for ya, except to keep the batteries to the camera charged at all times!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Congratulations on your soon-to-come new arrivals! I do want to comment on the treats. My dog is huge compared to yours (23 pounds) but she really likes the Zukes training treats. The are small, solid, semi-soft meaty bits. I actually cut them in half--tedious, but you can do this. These seem to have healthy ingredients. Here is a link:

http://www.zukes.com/woof/mini-naturals.html

I also have a bag of Merrick kibble (purchased for my ill doggie who recently passed) and I use this kibble for training as well. Since it isn't her normal food, she sees it as a treat. We are working on beginner agility with our Scottie girl Cassie. What type of service work will your little pooches do?
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

kongs...mini puppy kongs (usually pink) will be great for them, keeps them busy when you have to go out, or for after great training sessions to help them wind down.