Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM

please help

I have a 13+ year old Shar-pei mix who has had aggression issues since he was a pup. The older he gets, the worse he bites. He has health issues and I know he doesn't have much time left, and I am leaving the country soon. I know that he has no hope of finding a new family at this stage of his life and with his aggression issues. It will kill me, but I know I have to put him to sleep.
The problem is this: He HATES the vet. The last time he saw a vet he literally almost bit his face off. After I drag him in he hides and snarls and has peed himself from being so scared. I can't bear the thought of him spending his last moments like that. At home vets say they won't see aggressive dogs. If they could, I would beg borrow and steal to pay for the house call(about $500).
It kills me to think of such morbid things, but I spend my time trying to think of pain-free methods to provide him with a way to pass comfortably with me in our home. Can anyone help me with this? I really need help.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Catlover2

Unhappy

Have you contacted any Shar Pei rescues? Surely, someone may be willing to give him a home. I don't know whether you're in Canada or the U.S., but here are some rescue sites:

Canadian Shar Pei rescue http://www.csprescue.ca/

Shar Pei Rescue North America http://www.sharpeirescue.com/

As you say because of his age of 13 yrs., rehoming might be a distant hope at his stage.

The only thing I can think of would be to consult with your vet about getting him some tranquilizers to calm him for a vet visit. This is a very difficult decision about what to do, and I hope you'll be able to find the best solution for you and the dog.
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Pet slave.

I would recommend sedation prior to euthanasia. For aggressive animals, it helps make the the whole experience as calm as possible, and it makes it easier for you as well. Speak with a vet about sedation, some will prescribe a sedative type medication to give him a few days prior to the appointment so he is slightly more relaxed, then they will sedate him with an injection, then perform the euthanasia.

It is such a hard decision, but it's something you'll have to consider when you have exhausted all other options
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am so sorry your having to go through this. I would have a chat with a vet and ask if you can be given a sedative to calm your pup before he arrives and then everything is calm? I agree with you that you would like those last moments to be peaceful not an frightful experience. Good Luck and may your boy pass in peace.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM
-

thehardestthing, were you able to find a rescue that was willing to take your boy?

You asked for suggestions but you haven't logged back on to check the replies. You said he has health issues and doesn't have much time left .....have you taken him to the vet for bloodwork and a urinalysis? If so, what were the results? I also have never heard of a vet charging $500 for a home visit .....where do you live?

I hope you have been able to find help for your boy and looking forward to your update.