Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Reasons for excessive chewing?

I have a 5 month old Shiba Inu puppy, male.

Jack has always been a bit of a chewer. When I first got him, he chewed on things for attention. I stopped that with a gentle 'no' then spraying the object with bitter spray. The chewing stopped for about a week.

Then he started teething. He would pick an object to gnaw on...such as my end table. When I sprayed the object with the bitter spray, he'd just chew any way. Maybe he tongue wasn't making contact with the spray? He stopped chewing for a little bit.

Now he's being flat out destructive. He just destroyed my brand new bath rug in about 30 seconds. He's destroyed a purse. He grabs onto mouths full of carpet and won't let go. He tore a comforter because he grabbed, pulled, and refused to let go.

Why? And how do I stop it?

When I see him chewing the carpet or blankets, or anything else, I say 'stop' sometimes 'aaay!' if I'm angry. When I saw the destroyed rug (I went into the other room for just a few seconds) I immediately took it away and yelled 'no' and 'bad!'

I know I should have one command or correction instead of using so many (no, ay, stop, bad). But it's kind of hard when you're possessions are being eaten to think of the proper command. Is there one command that's 'best'?

How should I treat him afterward? Sometimes ignoring him works. Sometimes if I ignore him he'll lay quietly and play like a good pup. But other times he takes it to mean that I'm not paying attention and proceed to eat other things, or go right back to chewing carpet.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Investigative researcher

He will NOT stop chewing any and all things while he is young and teething. Your job is to keep all inappropriate items out of his reach, and provide lots of safe chew toys or raw large knuckle bones--new ones often will keep his attention.
All of my pups are crate trained and also trained to be tethered indoors away from furniture etc. A well fenced yard or dog pen is a godsend as well.
The most important thing is EXERCISE> A tired pup is a good pup.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I have a 5 month old Shiba Inu puppy, male.

Jack has always been a bit of a chewer. When I first got him, he chewed on things for attention. I stopped that with a gentle 'no' then spraying the object with bitter spray. The chewing stopped for about a week.

Then he started teething. He would pick an object to gnaw on...such as my end table. When I sprayed the object with the bitter spray, he'd just chew any way. Maybe he tongue wasn't making contact with the spray? He stopped chewing for a little bit.

Now he's being flat out destructive. He just destroyed my brand new bath rug in about 30 seconds. He's destroyed a purse. He grabs onto mouths full of carpet and won't let go. He tore a comforter because he grabbed, pulled, and refused to let go.

Why? And how do I stop it?

As already mentioned, puppies chew everything and anything, period. It's their nature, for a few reasons - one, being curiosity. They don't have 'hands' so they test different textures in their mouths, and will chew if something smells like you (sheets, clothes, etc.)- or if it's something they haven't smelt before and just smells plain ol' good. They'll chew if they're teething, and they'll chew when they're bored.

When I see him chewing the carpet or blankets, or anything else, I say 'stop' sometimes 'aaay!' if I'm angry. When I saw the destroyed rug (I went into the other room for just a few seconds) I immediately took it away and yelled 'no' and 'bad!'

I know I should have one command or correction instead of using so many (no, ay, stop, bad). But it's kind of hard when you're possessions are being eaten to think of the proper command. Is there one command that's 'best'?

The best command is the one you naturally refer to when you see something. If you instinctivley say a sound or a certain word, stick with that. Your puppy will learn what you're saying, but try to at least stick to one sound/word instead of using a million different ones.

It's great to take away the object, and this brings me to the question: how many toys does your pup have access too in the home that he's allowed to play with? Generally if we give our dogs too many toys that they can play with on their own will, we confuse them. They can't determine between what is yours, or what is theirs, they simply learn that we provide objects for them on the floor and they can play with them. It teaches them that everything is fair game.
Your best bet is to keep his toys out of his reach, and YOU take them out - one or two at most - to play with, and return to the hiding spot afterwards.

How should I treat him afterward? Sometimes ignoring him works. Sometimes if I ignore him he'll lay quietly and play like a good pup. But other times he takes it to mean that I'm not paying attention and proceed to eat other things, or go right back to chewing carpet.

It's not that he takes you 'meanly' it's that he doesn't take you seriously. He's chewing simply because he thinks it's okay, and you haven't taught him to chew the appropriate things as DoubleRR mentioned. Once you take something away, give him the RIGHT toy or chew bone that you DO want him to have.
That is strictly your job, and you may have to get used to the fact that a few things will get destroyed through this process - just remember that it is all part and parcel of owning a curious pup.

Hope that helps!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'm a softy

Sounds like pent up energy and frustration. How much excercise does he get? How much training and interaction? Been to ob classes yet? These things will be what makes the difference, also, do not leave him unsupervised, dont allow opportunity for failure. I like the idea of limiting toys, but i do not agree that just because you have a pup things will be chewed, no way! Keep them busy, watched, tired, and knowing they are not king of the castle and puppyhood can be smooth. It comes down to time and commiment, good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM

For exercise: we go to the dog park most days for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. This is 4-5 days per week. Every day we go on about four 15-minute walks, as well as one or two 30-minute walks. On the days I'm not tired or sore, we go on 30-minute runs at night. He is in his kennel when I'm working/at class, but otherwise is free to roam the apartment.

For toys: at any given time, he only has two out. One is a hard rubber toy, and one is a stuffed animal or rope toy so he has different textures to chew on. When he chews on things he's not supposed to, I say 'no' or something, take away the object (or in the case of carpet, move him) then offer him a toy instead.

Oh, and I try to keep things off of the floor. In the case of the bath mat...that belongs on the floor. Otherwise it's fairly puppy-proof.

Do dogs grow out of it? I had one dog growing up who chewed everything, but he had to be put down for an unrelated reason. None of my other dogs had issues with chewing (all adults). I'm new to puppies--can't you tell? =)
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

We've had three pups that have turned out to be three fun family obedient dogs and the best thing that has ever worked is LIME..LIME..LIME!

Go and buy a couple of limes and keep a fresh wedge within arms reach. When Jack starts being destructive and you catch him, squeeze the lime onto his nose with a GENTLE rub while squeezing. Believe me...it will stop him dead in his track!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Geek Club CEO

Of the two pups we've had, both were incredibly destructive chewers as young dogs, but the GSD completely has outgrown it (by about 10 months) while our little one, who is now over a year old, cannot be trusted with ANYTHING in reach still, so we keep her crated when she's not supervised. We also are still struggling with reliable housetraining with her (the crate helps with that too). It could be a breed thing or a personality thing, I'm not sure, but both dogs were raised in the same way with the same rules and the same environment There's always going to be some natural variability in behaviours for each dog.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Funny - I now have a junk yard GSD that is anywhere between 4-7 years old. He is beyond puppyhood and indeed does chew anything plush.

He is crated for now until we get this in control.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

All of my dogs, 2 past and 2 present were/are chewers right up until past 2 years of age. After that the odd treat was all they needed to satisfy their need to chew. Up intil 2 years of age if you didn't provide something for them to chew daily, they would find something they liked, usually my kitchen chair legs.

clm
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Geek Club CEO

we have a small army of nylabones and other chews, which Heidi LOVES...it's just that she loves shoes and anything else she can get her mouth on MORE
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM

If your puppy is still teething, ice cubes or freezing a wet twisted face cloth for them to chew on can help soothe sore mouths.

Teaching your dog "leave it" and "take it" are a couple of the most effective and versatile commands in the toolbox. I use them for many different situations.

Rather than punish a dog for chewing something it shouldn't, I teach them what is ok to chew on. I used a firm "leave it" if she picked something up that doesn't belong to her and gave her an acceptable substitute- "here- take this". Lots of praise as soon as she did.

Bully sticks or larger raw bones (but not weight bearing bones) are great to chew on and also help keep the teeth clean.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM

I am having the same troubles with Bennie, there are lots of suggestions in my posting too its called "Jumping/chewing" you can look there too if you want

I had a successful day with Bennie today, we tried the frozen stuffed kong, and it worked like a charm, he didnt chew anything but the kong I was very proud of him :P