Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Keeping Track of Pets You Have Found a Home For.

I do this if I can but it can take a sad turn for me and the OH. For the third time now a friend has called me to report the death, too early, of a cat, they were all cats, they got from me.

Poor little Willy fell three stories to his death. It was a tragic accident. Willy's owner, a friend of ours, had left the third floor patio door open in a hydro outage. Willy went out, tried to jump to the roof of the house next door, missed, or slipped, and fell to his death. Willy was nearly 12.

OUr friend said he cried all day and then he let us know and we cried too.

OH found Willy in an area in our backyard he'd made for stray and feral cats to keep warm in. OH came running in the house, yelling, "There's a baby racoon in the back." I didn't think so, it was mid November. OH went back to check closer and decided it was a kitten and he would catch it. I made him wear his big, long, thick leather gauntlets and Willy bit through the thumb and OH dropped him.

On to the live trap then. Willy was so small OH doubted he'd have enough weight to set it off but he did and Wee Willy entered out lives. There was another cat outside as well but it was adult and long haired and we figured with a warm place outside, food and water it could stay outside for the winter. Willy by my guess was no more than six weeks old and probably only weighed about a pound. Willy would not likely survive out on his own, he came in.

Willy hid in his cage for a few days, then began to venture out and soon socialled up into the most adorable, endearing, affectionate little Mr. Kitten. He turned out to be a male.

My friend's friend had recently lost his cat of 19 years to old age, he came to see Willy and told an amazing story. He had found a kitten just a few weeks earlier. Actually, he had opened his front door and it just walked in. It cosied up to him, lay wrapped along his shoulders around his neck as he surfed the net.

But, a neighbour met him and said, "Didn't you know? That's the kitten missing from the two little girls a couple of houses down. There are posters up all over." So of course he had to give that kitten back to it's rightful owners. Our friend said Willy looked just like the kitten that walked in. Grey tabby and white in all the same places. It seemed a match made in heaven and Willy, by now about 13 weeks old, went home to live happily with him for all these years.

This is not my best picture of kitten Willy but I love where he is sitting, under my monitor platform and beside a box of old floppy disks with labelling in German, Disketten. R.I.P. Willy, many people miss you.

[IMG]Willie Disketten Dec. 12,05 005 by Longblades, on Flickr[/IMG]