Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Crafts

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Garden nut

Does anyone here knit?

Well I've taken the plunge to teach myself knitting. But I already know how to crochet and cross stitch and other crafts but I really like the way knitted fabric looks and feels. Plus I want to make some stuff for me to wear.

Right now I'm doing a giant triangle shawl in Bernat cotton because it's the only yarn I have on hand. I made a ton of washcloths with it a few years back but bored of crochet, and it's too bumpy for my taste.

I am not too interested in toques (winter caps/hats) or mittens or scarves but maybe I could do some fingerless gloves one day. What I'm really interested in are plain pullovers, nothing too hard. Every pattern I find online is too stylish for me with funky stitches or calls for expensive yarns. I just want something plain and simple with either V neck or boat neck.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM

Sorry, but I can't help you out here, Ceara. I'm all thumbs when it comes to knitting and crocheting. I do have a funny story regarding crocheting, though. A long time ago when my godmother's mom was still alive she was an avid crocheter (hats, scarves, gloves, socks, blankets, sweaters, toaster covers, tea cozies, toilet paper cozies, etc.) On one particular occasion she was crocheting an afghan for a king sized bed. She liked to sit in her favorite rocking chair while crocheting and watch her 'stories' (soap operas). Well, she just about finished the afghan but became so engrossed in her stories that she completely forgot to stop crocheting. So the king sized afghan morphed into something much larger than its intended size. I was lucky enough to inherit it when she passed on. Now I just kind of tuck in the extra length on the sides of the bed. I always think fondly of her when I look at it which I'm doing a lot of right now. The weather is getting a bit chilly here in New York City and it's now officially afghan weather.
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Garden nut

Yes I remember my great grandma crocheting in her chair and then getting up to go weed in her garden. She was over 90 years old at the time and was very active, but didn't always remember us when we went to visit.

My paternal grandmother taught me how to crochet chains a bit when I was about 6 years old. But I didn't really learn the rest until I taught myself a couple of years ago. I always have a super hard time finding teachers and end up learning stuff on my own. Not too bad nowadays when there are tutorial videos all over the internet.

I learned by watching this woman's videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingtipsbyjudy

Her website is

http://www.knittingtipsbyjudy.com/

She does a lot of professional knitting jobs for movies and commercials and photos of her work are on the website. What made me laugh was she did the giant sweaters for the Freddy Kruger character in Nightmare on Elm Street.

I went to Rossi's yesterday and got some free patterns that are all around the yarn and supplies.

I decided not to do the giant triangle shawl because the circular needles that were given to me are not long enough to accommodate one giant triangle and I don't have enough yarn to do the two piece triangle shawl and make it look nice, so I ripped all that out and now doing a poncho with large rectangles and sew them together. The poncho pattern was one I got yesterday and it looks easy enough.

The hardest part about knitting is having a kitten who decides that yarn is a really fun toy.
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

I LOVE to knit however; I self taught myself cause I'm a lefty! I got so when I would ask my mother how to cast on, pearl or any other knit stitch cause she was a righty and couldn't teach me so I figured out how to do it backwards and it worked!

I found a pattern on the internet to knit golf club covers so I'm gonna do that over the winter so they match my golf bag!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
I LOVE to knit however; I self taught myself cause I'm a lefty! I got so when I would ask my mother how to cast on, pearl or any other knit stitch cause she was a righty and couldn't teach me so I figured out how to do it backwards and it worked!

I found a pattern on the internet to knit golf club covers so I'm gonna do that over the winter so they match my golf bag!
You will have to post pics of those when you finish!!

hehe I'm a southpaw too but I don't do any of the lefty stuff, like lefty guitar, throwing balls, scissors, etc. I do all that right handed.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Well I've taken the plunge to teach myself knitting. But I already know how to crochet and cross stitch and other crafts but I really like the way knitted fabric looks and feels. Plus I want to make some stuff for me to wear.

Right now I'm doing a giant triangle shawl in Bernat cotton because it's the only yarn I have on hand. I made a ton of washcloths with it a few years back but bored of crochet, and it's too bumpy for my taste.

I am not too interested in toques (winter caps/hats) or mittens or scarves but maybe I could do some fingerless gloves one day. What I'm really interested in are plain pullovers, nothing too hard. Every pattern I find online is too stylish for me with funky stitches or calls for expensive yarns. I just want something plain and simple with either V neck or boat neck.
I have a pattern book that is older than dirt but have been using for ever, It has pages that are taped together and comments in the margins, it calls for Patons Canadiana yarn - quite inexpensive, but you can use really any worsted weight yarn, it covers children's size 2 up to adults XXL, has choices of V-necks, crew necks, tutlenecks, set in sleeves, raglan sleeves, or drop shoulder sleeves, cardigans and pull overs - all in one handy book! See why it has been around with me for so long? All sweaters ar basically the same pattern, just adjusted for sleeve style and neck.
If this is what you are looking for, to save time PM me and I will photo copy what you want and mail it to you. I don' think the book is even still made, but it has helped me make numerous sweaters for my kids and now grandkids. It is pretty basic knit/purl stuff, nothing fancy.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

here is one I just finished for one of my grandsons. Picture quality isn't so great but it gives you an idea of what the patterns are.
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the lighting is better on this copy. This is V-neck, set i sleeves option
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Garden nut

That's the kind of pattern I'm looking for, but not with the ribbed bottom.

Good job!
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

you could likely do it without the ribbed bottom, but let me go through some other oler patterns. Get back to you.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Owned by goldens

Does anyone here knit???

If you don't do the rib bottom the sweather may curl.