Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Brownie's update

Took Brownie in for his follow up and another round of blood work. I have to wait till Friday to find out the results of the work up. She said his blood was still really thin. Now to add to the problems he has an enlarged spleen. :sad:
The good news is that he gained a pound and a half. She was ecstatic about that and so am I. It shows he is fighting hard to win this battle. She said she would be a lot more worried if he hadn't gained weight.
We are waiting to find out the results to figure out where to go next. She put him on Vitamin B and told me to keep giving him the LiverTone. I had really expected a fight when I told her I started him on that a couple of weeks ago but she was good. She said to wait till we find out what's going on before starting him on the SAM-e. She may have something that will work better for him. The VB will help with his appetite. He has been eating like a trooper though. I cook up chicken for him (he won't eat it raw) and he mows it down. Plus he eats a can or more of food a day.
So..... it's a wait and see thing. He seems to be doing well as far as energy goes but with the enlarged spleen there has to be something else going on.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a fighter he is! And you're such an to him! The weight gain is wonderful!

that you can get to the bottom of what's ailing him and it turns out to be something fairly easy to manage! Give him some extra chin scritchies from me, k?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
-

Good to hear that Brownie has put some weight on 14k , he has lots of will to live that boy, such a good sign.....I guess it is day by day, one thing at a time.

I think it's time for a pic of your fighter boy
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ask and I will do my best to deliver.
'Course he was resting when I took the pics so he wasn't too impressed. In the second pic you can see where she shaved his neck to take the blood. He was such a good boy. Only flinched a bit.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
-

Can't beat that for service ..He is very beautiful ..You did say that he was getting used to being in the house
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Can't beat that for service ..He is very beautiful ..You did say that he was getting used to being in the house
Oh yeah. He seems to be enjoying the warmth. I broke the news to hubby today that Brownie is an indoor kitty now.

Old December 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Oh yeah. He seems to be enjoying the warmth. I broke the news to hubby today that Brownie is an indoor kitty now.
Love it
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Love it
He didn't.

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
He didn't.
He'll get over it, they always do...those 'tough' guys!!!

That's awesome that Brownie's gained again, hope the blood tests have more good news for you too! Brownie looks handsome as ever, and I take it he's not fussing too much anymore about being stuck in the house, looks rather comfy to me too!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad he is putting on weight. That is a good sign that he is fighting the whole way.

Quote:
Love it
Quote:
He didn't.
, I think you have a DH like mine, always says no, then gets so darned attached the them, that they think that not giving in to their every whim is cruel and unusual punishment. Of course I don't get treated like that

Awwww, beautiful Brownie

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

He's such a handsome boy. I'm glad he gained some pounds. I hate waiting for tests, I always start to worry about a million things. If the vet is happy about him gaining weight though, it sounds like really good news.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM
-

ohhhh he's so handsome

I'm glad he's doing a bit better , and I hope the enlarge spleen can go back to normal

good job 14+
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
That's awesome that Brownie's gained again, hope the blood tests have more good news for you too! Brownie looks handsome as ever, and I take it he's not fussing too much anymore about being stuck in the house, looks rather comfy to me too!
He has adjusted to indoor living really well. The only kitty that gives him grief any more is Mittens. They do a little swatting dance once a day and they're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am so glad he is putting on weight. That is a good sign that he is fighting the whole way.
I think you have a DH like mine, always says no, then gets so darned attached the them, that they think that not giving in to their every whim is cruel and unusual punishment. Of course I don't get treated like that

Awwww, beautiful Brownie
I wouldn't say he gives in to them L4. I am still the one who does all the work with them. He just knows better than to complain. He knows what my cats mean to me. He says they come before him. I tell him I'm glad he's finally figured that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
He's such a handsome boy. I'm glad he gained some pounds. I hate waiting for tests, I always start to worry about a million things. If the vet is happy about him gaining weight though, it sounds like really good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
ohhhh he's so handsome

I'm glad he's doing a bit better , and I hope the enlarge spleen can go back to normal

good job 14+
I am hoping that the numbers come back better. The vet didn't think there would be much difference. :sad: I haven't found a whole lot of info on enlarged spleens with cats but what I have found is scary. I did ask the vet if it is an issue if it could be removed. She said yes it could. Didn't even argue with me. Do you think she's figured out it won't do her any good?

He ate another small chicken breast for supper tonight plus a little bit of canned food.

Old December 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
-

Quote:
He didn't.
Go figure ....has Brownie sat on DH's lap yet?
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Go figure ....has Brownie sat on DH's lap yet?
No. Brownie isn't a cuddler. :sad: He sits with me for a while at night and buries his head under my arm but he really does not cuddle much. He loves it when I walk around with him though.

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
He has adjusted to indoor living really well. The only kitty that gives him grief any more is Mittens. They do a little swatting dance once a day and they're good to go.
Well he's the only one in the house in the same weight class as Mittens!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
No. Brownie isn't a cuddler. :sad: He sits with me for a while at night and buries his head under my arm but he really does not cuddle much. He loves it when I walk around with him though.
Wait for it. Took Jasper a year to start cuddling, now he has to take over my pillow all the time

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
-

What a handsome boy Brownie is and YAY for the weight gain.

Glad that he is liking the house living now ....he certainly looks comfy.

Did your vet say what causes the spleen to enlarge? Are his lymph nodes enlarged as well?

Good luck with the test results tomorrow
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay for Brownie gaining weight, that's a huge improvement! I think you mentioned before that he was tested for Haemobartonella (now called Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma) but was that just checking a blood smear, or was the blood sent out for a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test? The blood smear method tends to be hugely unreliable with frequent false negative results. Mind you, the treatment for FHM is exactly what Brownie has already been getting (Doxycycline and prednisone), and since he does seem to be improving, further diagnostics might only be useful if it turns out to be something like cancer (which is much less likely in a cat so young).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I broke the news to hubby today that Brownie is an indoor kitty now.
He'll never even notice the extra one

Brownie sure is a handsome boy!

Sending more for the results tomorrow!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Yay for Brownie gaining weight, that's a huge improvement! I think you mentioned before that he was tested for Haemobartonella (now called Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma) but was that just checking a blood smear, or was the blood sent out for a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test? The blood smear method tends to be hugely unreliable with frequent false negative results. Mind you, the treatment for FHM is exactly what Brownie has already been getting (Doxycycline and prednisone), and since he does seem to be improving, further diagnostics might only be useful if it turns out to be something like cancer (which is much less likely in a cat so young).
Well, news is in. All the numbers are down. One is down significantly but darned if I can remember and I can't put my hands on the other test at the moment. She was happy it was down. The numbers for his anemia are down a little but not much. She said he is still a very sick boy. :sad:
He is still going to be taking 1/2 prednisone every second day. I have to get more when they are gone. He is also on Vitamin B and I am giving him the LiverTone. I am going to be starting him on SAM-e as soon as I can get some. I will be phoning the health food store first thing tomorrow to see if they shipment has arrived. And I have the Aangamik for him as well. I feel like I am always bugging him with these pills. I have to get him more liver too. He seems to not mind it. It's me that can't handle the stuff.

SCM - I think from what the vet said today it was a smear that was done. The blood was sent out to a lab. I am not sure what exactly they did. Hopefully I can get into the office tomorrow before they close. If not on Monday I will try to get a copy of his blood work. She wants to have him retested again in another six weeks. I am a little concerned that is too soon. Three work ups in four months?
When I get the results I will try to post them here.

So, all in all, it's still going to be a long haul for Brownie. Keep those fingers crossed for him please.

Old December 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So basically the biggest concern right now is the anemia, which isn't improving? Does she have an idea as to what is causing all the symptoms?

Sending more and of course you know we'll all have Brownie in our prayers on this end.

A little , but is TT holding his own, still?

Old December 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
So basically the biggest concern right now is the anemia, which isn't improving? Does she have an idea as to what is causing all the symptoms?

Sending more and of course you know we'll all have Brownie in our prayers on this end.

A little , but is TT holding his own, still?
Yep. The anemia. But normally from what I have read anemia is just the result of some underlying cause. We just haven't found the cause yet. She has no idea what is going on. I don't think she knows of any other tests she can try to find out. The enlarged spleen may be the only culprit but we aren't sure.
Thanks for the prayers hazel. It helps.
As for TT - no fear, the leader of the hood is back!! He's seems to be fine. A little more tilted on some days more than others but fine. He is harassing his sister, attacking daddy's feet in bed, being his curious self when I am preparing meals...... the list goes on.

Old December 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear that TT is doing well!

Not that you have much malaria in your area but could Brownie's problem be some sort of parasite? Don't things like malaria cause enlarged spleens and anemia? I wonder if there might be a nematode or some other type of organism that might set up house in the spleen?

I've got parasites on the brain. Macie has a new one (to us, anyway)--Capillaria aerophilia or lungworm. Makes me wonder what else is out there.

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Glad to hear that TT is doing well!

Not that you have much malaria in your area but could Brownie's problem be some sort of parasite? Don't things like malaria cause enlarged spleens and anemia? I wonder if there might be a nematode or some other type of organism that might set up house in the spleen?

I've got parasites on the brain. Macie has a new one (to us, anyway)--Capillaria aerophilia or lungworm. Makes me wonder what else is out there.
We talked about parasites. I know she checked for all kinds of worms. I don't think she checked for anything unusual. She has it stuck in her head that the kitties are around coyotes in the catuary and coyotes pass along all kinds of diseases.
I will talk with her. Thanks.

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So sorry to hear that he is still anemic, I was hoping the weight gain was a sign he was improving.

Sending lots and lots of for him and a for you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Sending lots of and for Brownie. The good thing is you and the vet are on top of it so he's getting his meds and plenty of love.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Brownie,sooo beautiful,does not look sick at all,glad he put on weight
Hope the anemia is something that can be figured out quickly and treated
I can just see little TT trying to be the top-catit's called the Napoleon syndrom
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
-

Quote:
She has it stuck in her head that the kitties are around coyotes in the catuary and coyotes pass along all kinds of diseases.
What diseases do coyotes pass along to cats or dogs for that matter?

Sending lots of for Brownie ....I hope you get some answers soon.
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Aww Brownie,sooo beautiful,does not look sick at all,glad he put on weight
Hope the anemia is something that can be figured out quickly and treated
I can just see little TT trying to be the top-catit's called the Napoleon syndrom
Yep, TT has it! He likes to try to beat up everyone. Still hasn't figured out he's smaller than the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
What diseases do coyotes pass along to cats or dogs for that matter?

Sending lots of for Brownie ....I hope you get some answers soon.
She mentioned before about the droppings from coyotes. I just can't figure out why she would think the cats are able to get close to those. The coyotes very very seldom even come out of the bush.