Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Just got back from the vet with Czari

My poor girl has been having some loose stools for a couple of days. Yesterday it was more like diarrhea. This afternoon it was slightly better formed, but I noticed she went from sleeping in her pretty bed to the pyramid bed, which she's not been in for almost a year. I decided to take her in.

Turns out she's got a little bit of bacteria in her poop, and she's got a little ulcer in her mouth, near where they extracted a tooth back in February.

I came home with some meds, and an oral wash for her. Right now she's draped over my arm as I type this purring away.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor girl Did the vet think the ulcer and the diarrhea were related somehow?

I hope she's feeling back to normal quickly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

awww poor little girl! hope she's feeling better soon. she's just thanking you for taking good care of her.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Aw, poor girl Did the vet think the ulcer and the diarrhea were related somehow?

I hope she's feeling back to normal quickly!
Yes, Hazel he did. He said it's likely she may have needed more meds after her tooth extraction than what they sent me home with. The ulcer formed and maybe some food and bacteria got in there. So I've got antibiotics for her mouth and a mouth wash, and some stuff for her tummy. I have to take her back next Saturday for a follow-up, and while I was at the vet I asked them to do blood-work, just to be sure she's got nothing else.

The new evening vet is actually a really nice guy and he was very gentle with my girl. I'd been hearing him in the other exam room with a stray dog some women brought in, and he was very caring with the dog, so I felt good that the gangs new evening vet is a good guy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Glad Czari will be on the mend now. I know how unsettling it is to have a sick one, or two, or three..................
Thanks for being such a good kitty momma!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Glad Czari will be on the mend now. I know how unsettling it is to have a sick one, or two, or three..................
Thanks for being such a good kitty momma!!
Yes, I hate knowing they aren't feeling well. She's not going to make it easy for me to give her the meds. At least she's not as bad as Oksana though.

Old May 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM

Once the meds are done, you may want to consider adding a probiotic powder or capsule (open it up) to her diet for a week or two to help bring the (good) bacteria in her digestive tract back up to par.
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Once the meds are done, you may want to consider adding a probiotic powder or capsule (open it up) to her diet for a week or two to help bring the (good) bacteria in her digestive tract back up to par.
I'd been giving them some for a while. I should start again. I think my vets office sells something that's not too expensive that I can give all of them.

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's always nice to discover a great new vet!

More heading your way for that lovely Czarina!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

AG,hopefully the little Queen will be ok,but how on earth do you give a cat mouth-wash
It is so very important to have a vet you trust,I love my new vet,although the cats don't like him too much
He really cares and always takes the time to talk,not like my old vets.
I did not even know Czari had a tooth extracted.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I too am sending positive vibes for Czari, and agree, given how hard it is to give a cat a pill how you could give a mouth wash!!! Holy catz that's gotta be hard.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
AG,hopefully the little Queen will be ok,but how on earth do you give a cat mouth-wash
It is so very important to have a vet you trust,I love my new vet,although the cats don't like him too much
He really cares and always takes the time to talk,not like my old vets.
I did not even know Czari had a tooth extracted.
I really hated that their vet had to leave, but she left to take care of her mother. She worked evenings, which for me is great, so when I went last night and saw this new vet I was happy to see how caring he is. So now I've got 3 vets I can always feel comfortable taking the gang to. Two work mornings and this guy in the evenings.

Yes, I took her in February after I got my tax refund. She really needed it.

The mouthwash has this attachment, so you can just squirt it in their mouth. He said it's okay to swallow.

You know, I was sitting here thinking how trusting they are. I literally have to catch them off guard or trick them when I catch them to give them meds. Then I have to wrap them in a small towel, so they don't move and force the meds into their mouth. After all that, within minutes they will still come to me for pets and cuddles. If someone did that to me, I probably wouldn't want to look at them for the rest of the day!

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, poor Czarina Sending lots of that her tummy clears up soon

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awww, poor Czarina Sending lots of that her tummy clears up soon
Thanks. I'm going to get them some probiotics as well. Can't hurt right?

Old June 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I was giving Oscar so many meds for a while there, that he got to where he would run away from me whenever I came near him. This is the cat that would let me step on him because he couldn't be bothered to move! It was heartbreaking. But it took him months and months to get there and a few months after I stopped the treatments, he's back to just laying there and making me step over him (or stop and cuddle him)!

for Czarina!!!
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
I was giving Oscar so many meds for a while there, that he got to where he would run away from me whenever I came near him. This is the cat that would let me step on him because he couldn't be bothered to move! It was heartbreaking. But it took him months and months to get there and a few months after I stopped the treatments, he's back to just laying there and making me step over him (or stop and cuddle him)!

for Czarina!!!
Oksana is like that. When she sees me preparing the stuff for Czari, she runs! Czari does too unless I can trick her.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Update

Czari's blood work came back all negative. So it looks like she just had tummy issues, nothing serious.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's good!