Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I'm a different breed I have had a similar experience as the OP, and out of principal I didn't change my routine, my "vicious, monster dogs" still walk by our "nemisis's" house.
I figure if I have my dogs leashed and under control, I have the right to walk my dog down any street I want.
This family has a really nasty jack russell, and two kids who think its ok to run and jump on my dogs, or throw stones at them as we walk by or to scream at us.
Our first encounter, their dog charged off their property at my dogs, and bit Kato on his hind quarter. Abby, in turn barked with her hackles up, however she did not try to hurt the little dog. I must admit it took me by surprise since this dog came charging us from behind. The two kids came running and the one literally threw herself on Kato's back causing him to buckle and collapse. Ok, so I lost it, I yelled at the kid and lifted her off my dog, I also used my foot to direct her dog away, since it was still standing snarling and growling teeth bared , hackles up just out of leash range from my dogs. I collected myself and the dogs and began walking away. We were maybe 8 houses away when I heard yelling. I turned around and there were the parents and owner of the little dog coming at me, their dog running up ahead of them at us, still barking and snarling.
I put my dogs behind me, and when the little dog got closer I lunged at him with my hand out and a loud NO. The dog turned and hightailed back to his owners. The same owners who are yelling at me still, wanting to know why I put my hand on their child. I explained I lifted her off my dog because number one she hurt him, number two for her safety and number three because she mistakenly took my dog for her personal pony. They threatened to call the cops, I offered them my cell phone, they called me vulgar names, infront of their children might I add. They cursed my dogs saying I should walk them somewhere else, they don't want no "child killing Pitbulls" on their street, ohhh and "If your dogs so much as look at my kids wrong, I'll shoot em!"
I told them they should educate their children about how to approach dogs properly, begining with asking for permission from the owner, and the dangers of jumping on a dog, both to the dog and their kids. And that I will walk my dogs down any street I choose.
We walked by another time the kids didn't leave the driveway, but they threw stones at us, none hitting the dogs thankfully but one did hit me in the back of the neck. I just faced forward and kept walking.
Another time their dog came at us again, face forward kept walking, and when it became apparent that the little dog was going to try and bite again , I turned and lunged and yelled NO, Git!
Now when we walk by, face forward, keep on moving, if the kids come I just put up my hand to them and gesture stop. They don't bother us anymore. But there is no way on Earth, someone will stop me from walking where I want to walk.
I've had the occassional obsenity yelled at me from the premises, but I ignore it and keep moving forward. A few of their neighbors, smile and wave at us as we go by now. I take it this family has alienated their neighbors too.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I am torn between changing my route and trying again to educate the guy. His opinion of Buster is obviously already made and that's a shame because Buster has no problem playing with my 3 yr old grandson or any other kid that comes over. Anyone who knows Buster knows that he is a typical small dog with big dog attitude until someone looks at him...then he needs to run and hide or kiss you all over

However, I will not put myself or my dog in the line of fire. I think I will occasionally try to walk by the kid, maybe with time Daddy will learn. I will take every opportunity to educate the guy and the little one. Someone needs to teach him how to behave around dogs. I am sure I could teach the child in less than 15 minutes how to approach a dog, if only the father would be willing to learn also.

Thank goodness Buster is NOT an aggressive dog...he may be loud but he is a total wimp

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

First off - my dogs are too old to be walking anywhere. If they weren't my labx would have been a perfect dog for the little one to learn manners from. She puts up with just about anything. My little one I would never put in harms way. A two year old could kill her because of her size.
A two year old child is old enough to know the meaning of no, gentle, don't touch, etc. They are not mindless twits who can't understand anything. It is a perfect time to start teaching them the proper way to approach a dog. Just my .
It's the dad who needs to have a good education on letting his child approach dogs.
BB - could you put some articles in the mailbox for him to read? That way you are not putting Buster in direct contact with the child. Or, go and speak with him without Buster. See if he is willing to listen.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Luvmypitgirls, I think people like you and I who opt to own big strong dogs with reputations and the ability(note I don't say inclination) to cause real harm are a different breed to those who opt for small, sweet, gentle dogs. You could have handled that situation better if it was only the kids, or even the kids and the parents, but I reckon that Jack Russell complicated things too much. I think I'd have lost it too. I know that you and I could show those people how good our breeds can be with children , just not with a snapping, snarling terrier in our faces. You know, the minute that guy said Buster was vicious, I would have said "If you think that then please teach your son not to run up to him". If he genuinely thinks that, he is probably already thinking he should stop him anyway.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM

14+..... I think I will be taking a walk without Buster to see if I can make him understand. I might even try to convince him to get his wife out and I can walk with his wife and the kid. They would see that Buster really isn't "vicious" just vocal

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Luvmypitgirls, I think people like you and I who opt to own big strong dogs with reputations and the ability(note I don't say inclination) to cause real harm are a different breed to those who opt for small, sweet, gentle dogs. You could have handled that situation better if it was only the kids, or even the kids and the parents, but I reckon that Jack Russell complicated things too much. I think I'd have lost it too. I know that you and I could show those people how good our breeds can be with children , just not with a snapping, snarling terrier in our faces. You know, the minute that guy said Buster was vicious, I would have said "If you think that then please teach your son not to run up to him". If he genuinely thinks that, he is probably already thinking he should stop him anyway.
Actually, I think I handled it perfectly. The kid jumped on my dog and hurt him, and wasn't getting off, I lifted the kid up and off my dog. I wasn't gruff or shaking the kid. I am proud of Kato for taking it and not snapping at the kid in self defense.
My kids were taught from an early age how to handle and approach animals. If I were in the same situation today and a kid jumped full force on my dogs back and caused him to buckle and collapse, I would physically lift the child off my dog if that child weren't make an effort to already do so. The Jack Russell wasn't at fault, neither were the kids really, it was the parents whom have neglected to teach their children manners and how to deal with dogs. And who have neglected to teach and socialize their dog.
They called my dogs vicious not because they are, but because they recognized the breed and it was the only thing they "felt" they could use against me.
I don't feel like I'm putting myself and my dogs in the line of fire, by walking past their house either. While I still hear the occassional slur while walking by, I keep my head up and keep the pack moving forward.
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting one of their neighbors with Springers, we introduced our dogs, had a lovely chat and went on our way. No problem, no issues. If I had changed my route I wouldn't have had the pleasure of meeting someone new.
I always hope that when someone sees me walking 2 Pits somtimes 3, and my Rottie, all by myself and how well behaved and under control they are, that perhaps it will rub off on someone that perhaps otherwise doesn't work with their dogs as much as they should...
If I let "confrontation" rule my routine, my poor dogs would be kept in the yard, never to explore the outside world. Almost everytime we go for a walk, regardless of what route we take, someone has a snide remark about my dogs just because of what they are.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Last edited by Luvmypitgirls; June 30th, 2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Good for you Luvmypitgirls I really think what you are doing is proving once again that it is not the breed but the owners. You really are educating people by walking well behaved pits and shunning the vicious dog label they have. We all know most would beat you to death with their wagging tales.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

LMPG, sounds like those kids are viscous. You should video them throwing rocks at you and yelling stuff. I think you would be well within your right to file a complaint. There is no reason why if you and your pups are minding your own business, walking, you get things thrown at you. One of those rocks could one day land in your eye.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Good for you Luvmypitgirls I really think what you are doing is proving once again that it is not the breed but the owners. You really are educating people by walking well behaved pits and shunning the vicious dog label they have. We all know most would beat you to death with their wagging tales.
Thank you mastifflover, mine could beat you to death with their tales, but they'd rather smother you to death with their kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
LMPG, sounds like those kids are viscous. You should video them throwing rocks at you and yelling stuff. I think you would be well within your right to file a complaint. There is no reason why if you and your pups are minding your own business, walking, you get things thrown at you. One of those rocks could one day land in your eye.
I ignored the first rock that hit me, and should it happen again and they hit one of my dogs I will be calling bylaw. They are just kids, who haven't been taught better unfortunately.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old July 1st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

You weren't gruff or shaking the kid, Luvmypitgirls, yet you said

Ok, so I lost it, I yelled at the kid and lifted her off my dog

I imagine that may have scared the kid as much as her behaviour scared you. Her behaviour can't have scared your dog too much or he may have bitten her.

Just curious, are dogs allowed loose on the street in Canada? They aren't here, and any dog that lunges at people or other dogs is in trouble, and as part of educating those people I'd have told them that.....if that happened here. Doesn't really matter if it's an irresponsible owner, any dog that attacks like the JR did could be labelled dangerous here.

Anyway, I just see protective parents and protective dog owners clashing and no real bad people as such. I used to ride my grey pony stallion through town and gets stones thrown at me by naughty boys whose parents didn't teach them better, not the end of the world.
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You weren't gruff or shaking the kid, Luvmypitgirls, yet you said

Ok, so I lost it, I yelled at the kid and lifted her off my dog

I imagine that may have scared the kid as much as her behaviour scared you. Her behaviour can't have scared your dog too much or he may have bitten her.

Just curious, are dogs allowed loose on the street in Canada? They aren't here, and any dog that lunges at people or other dogs is in trouble, and as part of educating those people I'd have told them that.....if that happened here. Doesn't really matter if it's an irresponsible owner, any dog that attacks like the JR did could be labelled dangerous here.

Anyway, I just see protective parents and protective dog owners clashing and no real bad people as such. I used to ride my grey pony stallion through town and gets stones thrown at me by naughty boys whose parents didn't teach them better, not the end of the world.
Yes I consider yelling at the kid as losing it. I don't like to yell at children, however I told her she was lucky all she was getting was yelled at and not bitten any other dog may have and probably would have bitten her. Kato, was scared, and hurt, he has had a back issue since a pup, but he is also extremely tolerant of children, especially little ones.
Little kids can come up to him and take food right out of his mouth or put their hands in his dish, he backs away. Kids can pull on his face, his ears, use him as a pillow, lay across him when he's laying down and he'll gladly take it. That is the way he was raised and trained. I yelled because I could see the pain in his eyes. He's my baby, I can't help it.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old July 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I yelled because I could see the pain in his eyes. He's my baby, I can't help it.
And you have no need to explain that. Anyone who loves their dogs would react the same way.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
And you have no need to explain that. Anyone who loves their dogs would react the same way.
Thank you
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Senior Contributor

LMPG, You wrote earlier that

I always hope that when someone sees me walking 2 Pits somtimes 3, and my Rottie, all by myself and how well behaved and under control they are, that perhaps it will rub off on someone that perhaps otherwise doesn't work with their dogs as much as they should...

I don't think I would get the impression that your dogs were well behaved if I saw them wearing those collars you use(or had on them in the thread about taking them to the river). Are they prong or pinch collars? I have , I will admit, never seen them before in my life, but they look really wicked. This is all I ever showed my dog in. (and this is a dog aggressive breed.)
I can understand you worrying about your baby, but can't understand a kid running up to dogs with those sorts of collars attached. Makes them look formidable. I know you'll say they're great for control but really well behaved dogs don't need them, do they?
Attached Images

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Goldfields,,yes the collars LMPG is using is prong/pinch collars...from what i can see of the collar on your dog it is a choke chain...in all acutality the collar you use can do more damage to your dog than the pinch(which will only tighten to a certain extent).. I use a pinch on one of my dogs,,he doesn't tug,pull etc (now) it's more a reminder to him at this point. In this case it's looks can be deceiving, i have actually put a prong collar on myself and they are more uncomfortable than they are painful and only if they are tightened.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
150% PRO S/N

How did a thread about a small dog going for an interrupted walk turn into this? Please, if you must take it so far off track, open your own thread GF. BB came on asking for advise on how to turn a bad situation into something positive. I don't think she wanted it turned into a debate about what collar is better than the other.
I believe if you look around there are lots of threads about the pros and cons of prong/pinch collars as opposed to choke chains. In fact, I'll open one for you so BusterBoo's thread isn't highjacked any more.
Look for it under General Forum - collars - to prong or not.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry Goldfields I do not know why you are attacking LMPG but she is a responsible owner and obviously has well trained dogs. If some kid jumped on the back of my dog I have no doubt that kid would have been bitten. Besides a prong collar used properly is a great training tool. Sorry just my opinion.
How are the walks going with Buster? Because that is who this was about.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I am sorry Goldfields I do not know why you are attacking LMPG but she is a responsible owner and obviously has well trained dogs. If some kid jumped on the back of my dog I have no doubt that kid would have been bitten. Besides a prong collar used properly is a great training tool. Sorry just my opinion.
How are the walks going with Buster? Because that is who this was about.
Thanks 14+ and Mastifflover... I was just sitting back reading the great debate, but that's ok.

Buster and I didn't walk last night.... too many party people outside and lots of traffic but tonight we will. I will let you know how it goes. I won't be changing Buster's routine, we will do the same route.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

BusterBoo, I apologize that your thread was highjacked, I certainly didn't intend for that to happen, I was just offering my advice and my experience.
My apologies that it was taken off track.
I wish you well and hope that you and Buster have more positive experiences than negative.

Goldfields I addressed your post in a new thread, take your issue with me there.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Last edited by Luvmypitgirls; July 2nd, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
It's ok aslan, it's goldplated, that makes it superior!
She can judge all she wants, I take pride in the fact that my pack is awesome and wonderful and well balanced and still eager to learn, and they are all rescues whom I love and worship. I know what works best for my dogs, I make no apologies for my choices, they work for us.
Anyone that don't like it, don't look at my pics or read my posts....life's too short...
besides every site has to have that one person that "thinks" they are the top expert on everything....lmao.
well you know what they say about opinions...and we have the top training experts here,,LP,Tenderfoot, Bailey,Benmax,,etc..

gotta say,,i've used a prong/pinch for years and other than Bishop(whole other issue) none have ever attacked each other or anyone else's for that fact. Ask anyone who has met Qman and you won't meet a bigger marshmallow.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
well you know what they say about opinions...and we have the top training experts here,,LP,Tenderfoot, Bailey,Benmax,,etc..

gotta say,,i've used a prong/pinch for years and other than Bishop(whole other issue) none have ever attacked each other or anyone else's for that fact. Ask anyone who has met Qman and you won't meet a bigger marshmallow.
Aslan, c'mon seriously ya had to say marshmallow! I've been on a crazy tuff diet for 8 weeks...ohhhhh what I wouldnt give to have a marshmallow....
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
-

Quote:
Aslan, c'mon seriously ya had to say marshmallow! I've been on a crazy tuff diet for 8 weeks...ohhhhh what I wouldnt give to have a marshmallow....
hmmmm i'm not sure if marshmallows are fattening,,,qman says no...he luffs marshmallows...
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
hmmmm i'm not sure if marshmallows are fattening,,,qman says no...he luffs marshmallows...
Ohhhh they be fattening alright...they are loaded with sugar...sugar is my enemy ya know...sadly appears I may have a new one too...oh well...lmao life goes on...kum-by-ya....uh huh....kum-by-ya...
gotta inject humor, otherwise the petty crap will kill ya. lmao
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
-

ummmm i don't think you've seen a good picture of me,,,i don't seem to have an issue with sugar,,or fat or yup pretty much anything..
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
LMPG, You wrote earlier that

I don't think I would get the impression that your dogs were well behaved if I saw them wearing those collars you use(or had on them in the thread about taking them to the river). Are they prong or pinch collars? I have , I will admit, never seen them before in my life, but they look really wicked. This is all I ever showed my dog in. (and this is a dog aggressive breed.)
I can understand you worrying about your baby, but can't understand a kid running up to dogs with those sorts of collars attached. Makes them look formidable. I know you'll say they're great for control but really well behaved dogs don't need them, do they?
It should not be the collar that a person should get the impression of whether the dog is aggressive or not, but the way the walker is handling the dog, and how the dog is behaving. I have seen cute pink collars on little dogs, who were ready to take a bite out of my ankle , totally out of control, and prong collars on large, strong dogs, who walked perfectly at their walkers side ignoring all who are walking by. I would trust the large dog before the small one .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Anything good is fattening face it ladies. I am an admitted sugar junkie especially chocolate.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
-

Quote:
Anything good is fattening face it ladies. I am an admitted sugar junkie especially chocolate.
and she too is skinny as a rake.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Ahhhhhhh, chocolate is the best.

Marko, we really need a drooly smiley

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
and she too is skinny as a rake.
Life is just not fair.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Life is just not fair.
but but,,,we skinny folks freeze to death in the winter,,,

BB how did the walk go tonight,,,sorry for the threadjack.
Closed Thread