Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They are! Always cheerful, too--they're always humming!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2016, 10:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I finally worked up the courage to take the camera out in the kayak. I'm happy to say that neither I nor the camera ended up in the drink! (Wonder of Wonders! LOL)

This year's Bald eagle chick was still near the nest--just a tree away from it and barely visible through the leaves. Thought I'd share... This is Junior:

Name:  Bald eagle, Junior 7-1-16 C.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  170.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Jr. is handsome! I saw an eagle when I was going to Maine with my family . It was flying and too far away to take a photo of it was an adult . And was it huge and beautiful .
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The time before (about a week ago, I think) I heard Junior doing his scree-ing thing and looked up just in time to see one of the adults bringing in some food. They are so majestic!

Interestingly, there was a mother mallard and her four ducklings not too far in front of the nest tree. That surprised me, since Bald eagles are also known as duck hawks for their practice of killing ducks as prey! But she wasn't at all nervous and the eagles didn't seem interested in her. Maybe they just don't like to hunt near the nest so they don't call attention to it (as if Junior's ear-piercing screams weren't )

Old July 2nd, 2016, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the eagle waiting for the ducks to get bigger and made a better meal and if don't want to kill the mother duck b/c she lay the golden eggs !
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Boy, I hope not! Actually, though, the ducklings were almost full grown already, so they would make a pretty hefty meal. Maybe Ma and Pa Eagle just don't like the taste of Mallard?

Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

We have ducks at pond in my city and not all the ducklings never made it to grow up , some animal is eating them .
Old July 3rd, 2016, 05:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Could be bullfrogs, snapping turtles...fish, if the pond is big enough for big fish... Or it could be cats or avian predators. Ducklings are on a lot of menus...

Old July 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Could be bullfrogs, snapping turtles...fish, if the pond is big enough for big fish... Or it could be cats or avian predators. Ducklings are on a lot of menus...
OH No ! There are snapping turtles in the pond and there is big one too ! I never thought of that .
Old July 7th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Well hello TJT! It has been a very long time since I have posted on "pets" happy to see some familiar posters.

Wow, it says that I last visited in Oct. 2015

I got myself a part-time job this summer that lasts for a couple of months only. I am going door to door doing Canada's Federal Census. Fun job I am forced to walk instead of driving everywhere.

The money that I earn is going towards my 3 month trip to Australia. :whistle

I will check back here again before 1 yr goes by. TaTa
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

August 2017

Managed to get some bird pics this month, and my connection is pretty good tonight, so decided to post a few. Might be able to post more later...will depend on how many people are in town this weekend, sucking up the WiFi at the bars....

A Ruby-throated hummingbird sipping nectar from jewelweed on 19 Aug:
Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird at jewelweed 8-19-17 A.jpg
Views: 7032
Size:  75.6 KB

And Daddy Eastern towhee feeding one of his late brood sons on the 23rd:
Name:  Eastern towhee, dad feeding his young son 8-23-17.jpg
Views: 6426
Size:  144.1 KB

Old August 25th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

They're very beautiful photos hazel ,did you use your cell phone to take them?
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ha! We get no cell signal out here, so no cell phone. Or at least none with cameras--we have a little no-contract Tracfone that we use while we're on the road, but that's it.

No, these were taken with the Nikon DSLR.

Old August 25th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

OK thanks ,I asked b/c I keep missing out of getting cool photos of birds in my yard. There is cooper hawk that must have a home close by b/c I keep seeing one in my yard . It has to be hunting for chipmunks b/c we're over run with the buggers ! It sound so peaceful where you live hazel.
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Less harried than in the city, but lots of drama still goes on in the thickets. Lots of predators and bountiful prey...and the summer tourists at the lake... So not sooooo peaceful.

Old August 26th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

UGH! We get overrun with summer tourists too ! I just got an email from a city councilor and he called them "nasty tourists " I was surprises he said this in an email . That too bad , I would love to find someplace peaceful to move too .

Thanks goodness for our feathers and furry friends they do made the world a better place to live. I haven't seen the crows around my yard for a few days . I love to watch to watch them , they're so smart and beautiful .
Old March 12th, 2021, 08:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's been a very long time since this thread has seen any activity, but this Northern goshawk showed up in they yard last month and I just had to share.

Name:  Northern goshawk 2-25-21 C.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  Northern goshawk 2-25-21 B.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  117.6 KB

Had the doves and squirrels in a tizzy, but isn't it lovely?