Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Can I use my 55 gallon fish tank for a ball python?

So I have a 55 gallon fish tank, which is going to be out of commission for fish use. (I'm tired of trying to keep up with the fish, because they are old and haven't been doing good anymore) My question is, can I use my 55 gallon tank for a ball python? The tank will be sanitized and has been very well kept up with cleaning. I know that Ball Pythons are escape artists, so I would need to get a locking screen top for the tank itself. But I don't know if this size tank would be good for a ball python, or if I should just go to a pet store and get a terrarium instead?

I would hate to have to spend more money on a terrarium if I can just use this tank instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Investigative researcher

Yes--if the tank is thoroughly sanitized, and the lid is all screen but locking. Ball pythons are very strong and determined when pushing against lids to seek a way out! This size of tank would be great--many live in smaller ones and I believe all pets need as big a space as possible. Here is a link about care.

http://www.anapsid.org/ball.html
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
chronically insane.

Ball pythons can easily live in a tank half that size given that they handled and taken care of on a daily basis. While I understand the idea of giving an animal alot of space to live, this doesn't really apply to snakes, especially ball pythons. All they will do is curl up in one corner of the tank under a log and sleep there until you take them out, hence the term "ball" python.

A locking lid is a great idea. Ball pythons aren't quite as bad about escaping like the corn snakes. I would not suggest using a terrarium for a ball python. About the only kind of snake I would use a terrarium for is a arboreal snake, like a tree boa.

Ball pythons are a great beginner snake. They do have a tendency to fall ill though, so just prepared for that. Otherwise they are very friendly and easy going. I don't believe I've ever met a mean ball python.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 28th, 2019, 11:48 PM

55 gallon tank

yes you can i have a 55 gallon fish tank that I turned it into a snake tank first for a corn snake Pagan back in 2002 she passed in 2011 RIP , and been sitting now i got a baby BP 7-10-2019 but she's freaked out do to size i just moved her to a 10 gallon in till she big enough for 55 gallon
Attached Images