Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Peaches is sick

Sorry it's been so long, my internet hasn't been working for over 3 weeks now so I'm sneaking on at work!

Peaches started having diarhea on Tuesday...I came home from work to it all over my carpet. He seemed ok so I gave him fresh water and took away his food for the evening. When I got home from soccer a few hours later, he'd thrown up his food from the day. I gave him a bit of wet food because he seemed lethargic. He threw this up overnight and the diarhea continued. I kept a close eye on him all day yesterday and he was up and down...getting better towards the evening. He's been eating and drinking normally but he seems really really tired. I called the vet last night to see if I could bring him in first thing this morning. I took him in at 8:30 and he's there now...he's lost a bit of weight but has no fever. They're keeping him overnight to give him fluids and I brought in a stool sample for them to test. I should get an update after work tonight. I can't think of anything he could have gotten into and there have been no changes to his food.

Aside from all of this, I'm really upset with the vet. I was so pleased with them in the beginning because they seemed to take his epilepsy so seriously and they went out of their way to help me learn more about it and the treatments etc. Today I felt like I was taking him to the walk-in clinic or something. I don't know whether they even looked at his file ahead of time because he kept bringin up things we've already done. Peaches has always been small and at times, a bit frail looking, but that's him and that's what the epilepsy has done to him. I know that despite the fact that his fur might be a little ratty, he's a perfectly happy cat. If I had any suspicion that he was in pain or unhealthy, I would address it. This vet was going on and on about how bad his fur is and how he looks unhealthy but this is how he has been all along, so I don't understand why he didn't raise concerns earlier. He then starting going over what some of the causes of his recent illness could be...from something minor to more serious things like feline leukemia, etc. I had to tell him that we've already tested Peaches for that multiple times when we were trying to find a cause for the epilsepy and he's been tested every few months to check phenobarb levels so if anything were seriously wrong, it would be picked up. It jsut felt like I was talking to a stranger :sad:
Anyway, thats my rant. Peaches is staying with my parents starting next weekend for a week while I'm away so I think I'm going to have them take them into Romeo's vet and from now on, I'll bring him home when he needs a check-up.

I'll update once I hear anything :sad: I hope this isn't anything too serious
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Meg

I'm sorry to here that peaches is not feeling well,
and I did not find his fur being "ratty" (when I was there)

It could be just from the heat/weather. or maybe just a virus. ??

for peaches and you..get better soon sweet peaches
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
-

Sorry to hear something is going on with Peaches Meg, try not to worry too much, I'm sure they will get it sorted out for you both.

There is a cat specific vet in downtown, she is said to be exceptional, if you ever decide to change I can look for her addy for you, just let me know.

Hope you enjoy your trip and please keep us updated with his progress
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh poor Peaches . Could it be just a "bug" he may have picked up?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Master of the Drool!

Good thoughts and wishes for Peaches!!! Hope he gets better
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope Peaches is recovered soon, meg It's so hard when the furbabies are sick and you don't know why!

that they pinpoint it soon and the fluids do the trick for him. Maybe he just caught a bit of a virus that needs to work its way out.

It doesn't help that the vet was being a pratt

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Peaches isn't feeling well. I'll second what some of the others said, and say maybe it's a bug. I had Oksana a little under the weather for a day or so not long ago, and she was fine after that.

It sounds like the vet really needs to brush up on his manners and his clients. Having to go through what you have already done sounds like he wasn't paying attention the first time around.

I hope Peaches is better when you get him back.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone

I'm hoping it's a bug...I'm just not sure where he could have contracted it. I did have him in London over the weekend and at my sisters place but none of her pets are ill and Barkley and Romeo are fine as well. He could have a weaker immune system though so maybe they weren't showing symptoms. He was eating and drinking normally so that's a good sign!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM

Hope he feels better soon

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Best thoughts for Peaches, coming your way

Diane
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Get well soon peaches.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh poor Peaches... Lots of & that he just has a tummy bug and is better soon. And to you too, I hope the vet smartens up!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Kitty pimp

was it the vey u usually see aalso sometimes esp with emergenccies they are so busy with the sched. when that happens with any service i interact with vet or phone or whatever i say hang on dous both a favor and read the history.

good luck peaches !!!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh meg I am sooooo sorry you and peaches are going through this.

Hopefully he's just got a tummy bug please keep us updated.

Re: your vet....wow. I would be frustrated too. I have to say my vet doesnt really remember my cats either (i feel like its the first time meeting her everytime).....i would hope tho that at least they glance at the file!

Peaches has always had a different look (like puss in boots if u ask me), but I am 100% sure he is happy! Please don't take the vets comments to heart.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Peaches has always had a different look (like puss in boots if u ask me), but I am 100% sure he is happy! Please don't take the vets comments to heart.
Thanks onster I'm really trying to ignore what he said. I just can't help feeling like he thinks I'm not taking good care of him or something.

I just called to check in on him. I spoke with one of the other vets in the practice who was much friendlier. He said Peaches seems fine in the cage, he's eating and drinking everything they're giving him and he hasn't vomitted or had any diarhea at all. So I just have to wait for the results to come back but it seems like maybe this is a bug that's dying down.

Chris, I remember you telling me about that vet when I was first trying to find one. I think I called them and they weren't able to fit him in right away and I was panicking because of his seizures so I took him to this one. Maybe once he's over this I'll give them a call and see if they can take him on.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

to you Meg. Poor Peaches. Like the epilepsy isn't enough to deal with.
It is possible that Peaches picked up something from your visiting. With his frailer system he maybe shows more signs of it while the others can fight it off. Hopefully they can get to the root of the problem soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Geri
You have the same suspicion as me...considering the timing of when this all started, it would make perfect sense. They're supposed to call me with the results in the AM
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

for Peaches!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am glad to hear that Peaches is doing much better.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg4050 View Post
Thanks Geri
You have the same suspicion as me...considering the timing of when this all started, it would make perfect sense. They're supposed to call me with the results in the AM
Let's hope it was a bug that he picked up. If he is keeping food down at the vets and no diahhrea hopefully he will continue to improve. I hope they take the time to remember he is on meds for the epilepsy and don't give him something that counteracts that.
I will say an extra for him tonight.

Oh, and seeing as he is looking so "ratty" looking I think it's time to take a few pics so we can judge for ourselves. 'Course we will wait till he is feeling better.......... just..........

Hang in there Meg.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Kitty pimp

i dont rememeber peaches looking rattty ?

lol we are doing major matt cuts to mandas backside for matts wish pic would show it talk about ratty!!!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about Peaches being ill. I hope the vet can find out what it is and fix it easily.

Poor baby I hope u can bring him home tomorrow.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM

Megs I'm sorry Peaches isn't feeling 100%.

speedy recovery from whatever was bugging him

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hope Peaches feels better fast .
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

i'm sorry peaches isn't feeling good. hope he feels better and you can bring your baby home soon.

that vet didn't sound like a very friendly one at all. i have one like that at my vets. i don't see him anymore i see one of the other ones all the time now. she was great when i had to put zoey to sleep so i take everyone to her now

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

GOOD NEWS!!!!

The vet called first thing this morning and told me Peaches still hadn't had any diarrhea or vomitting overnight and that all of his tests came back fine! I picked him up earlier this afternoon and he seemed a bit groggy, went straight to his food dish and starting eating like crazy! I had to go back to work for a bit but I just got back home and as soon as he heard the door he jumped up and came to greet me

They gave me 5 days worth of the meds that they were giving him so I just need to watch him for the next few days and make sure he's ok...but he's looking good, I think the fluids helped a lot.

Thanks for all of the good wishes!!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo!!!!! . Must have been some bug.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! That is sooo good to hear!! Now we need pics please.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great! It sounds like he certainly caught something and he's getting over it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad he's home! Now for a continued recovery and the little fella being back to normal ASAP!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."