Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 12th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Dog Grooming - Clippers

I had an unfortunate event. For the last five years, I have been taking our Bichon to the same groomer, she was great and our dog was always happy when we went or came back. A little background, he is a very social dog, not afraid of strangers and very affectionate with everyone. Something weird must have happened at the groomer the last visit. I showed up to learn that the regular groomer has left and replaced. I met the new groomer and had a very bad feeling. She seemed gruff, and I'm not judgemental on appearance, but she was young (maybe 20-21), and had attitude from the get go. Anyway, I reluctantly allowed her to groom him, not knowing. When I picked him up that afternoon, as soon as I walked in I could hear him crying, I know his voice. He came running around the corner and went behind me to hide, clearly scared. I asked the receptionist if anything happened, she said nope, but another dog in another cage was barking at him all day. I pay the bill and leave. Now for the last week, whenever the doorbell rings, he doesn't go like he used to. He has been acting depressed, sad. His entire demeanor has changed. I have gotten to play with him a few times and he perks up, he's played fetch with me, so I know he's not sick. At times he will be attached to me like glue, and others now, he keeps his distance and walks away to be alone, head and tail down. I have never seem him like this. We have been pouring on the love and reassurance, and even a few extra treats here and there, but clearly he is upset.

So I know something else happened, I'm guessing the new groomer has done something that caused him to suddenly fear people.

Sorry for the ramble, the whole thing angers me pretty bad, and I can't prove anything. I appear to be derailing the intent of my own thread.

I am going to voice my opinion with my wallet.

But now I'm not taking him anywhere, I will just do it myself, I trust no one, he is family to us.

Problem is he has typical Bichon hair, and can get tight and matted. I generally just shave him pretty close down.

I need a great set of clippers, price not being a concern. My wife is a Journeyman hair stylist and she said this is beyond her, she doesn't feel regular clippers will cut it.

What are the proper clippers and guards to get for a Bichon with tight curly hairs?
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that poor little guy!

I've never had to clip a dog with curly hair, so I have no advice on the clippers--but I was wondering if you had had him vetted since the incident? Some of it--acting sad, lethargic, not running to the door when the doorbell rings, head and tail down--could be consistent with a sore back. Maybe the issue was an injury? Back injuries are odd--with rest the dog can feel good enough to play one day, but then be sore the next and not want to play again. So I was wondering if you'd had him evaluated for back pain?

I do hope he's feeling better soon and you can get a suitable pair of grooming clippers! Can you call around to groomers in your area and see what they might suggest? Your vet might also have a suggestion since they have to be prepared to clip any breed that needs it.

And I do hope that you talk to the groomer involved and register a complaint. Management needs to hear things like that to prevent future incidents with other dogs.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Vote with your wallet - Yes.

I too went to a masochist groomer once - Once. My cat came back with bloody nails, a bandana around the neck that was too tight....AND an attitude from the groomer - telling me my cat was 'bad'.

The groomer's shop was always good until then......

and like you've discovered, the shop itself doesn't do the grooming..a loser human did.

100% I'd find out who the owner is - and tell the owner.
I'd also ask for my money back.

and I'd find another groomer (person) recommended by others and only schedule appointments with that one groomer.

OR find a kind groomer that knows their stuff and if money is no object, ask them to come over and give you a one to one lesson so you'll learn the right way and the right tools to help get the job done. The fact that you'll do this in your own home might alleviate the stress if this scenario works for you.

Hope that may help
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter