Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
BaileyThePup

Potty Training - Tethering Puppy To Me Recommended?

I have put a few posts here about my new puppy, Bailey. And I could use all of you great advise again on housetrainig. I've read a few posts about recommended housetraining tricks and one of them was tethering the dog to me.

Here's my situation. Bailey wakes up, immediately outside. Does his thing and praise praise praise. Comes back inside for breakfast and water. 20 min later I take him outside (he usually informs me he's ready by sniffing around). He potties. Then....we go back inside and 5 min later....potties inside! I catch him in the act and say 'No' and take right outside again. He does nothing. Go back inside and literally 3 min later....tinkles again!!!

He's so good right when he comes out of his crate to go outside and do his thing. But when I'm home, it's like every 20 - 30 min I'm running outside with him. And, I live in an apartment complex...down the hall, down the elevator...down another hall....thru the foyer...then outside. Doing this every 20-30 min when I'm at home....then he does nothing oustide.

Is tethering him to me the next move I should try? He tinkled 2 times inside this morning and I about lost it! After I took him out 3 times. I breathe in heavily and keep my patience...try to.

Has this ever worked for anyone? He doesn't like his leash now, so I'm worried this might totally drive him nuts.

Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

All of that moving around stimulates him so that he has to go. Personally, I would suggest longer walks outside, allowing him to potty more then once.

Since he is a little dog and you have so far to go to take him outside, you might consider teaching him to use a wee-wee pad. My mom used them to supplement housebreaking her chihuahuas. If you catch him having an accident in the apartment, put him on the pad to finish instead of trying to race downstairs. This worked well with all 3 of her chi's and while it did take a little bit longer to completely housebreak - it completely eliminated carpet accidents and 2 of the 3 chi's are completely housebroken. (The third is a foster that she has only had for 2 weeks, but he is well on his way.)
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I did not try tethering for potty training but I did for when I was training my pup not to chase my cats. He caught on pretty quick... I second what LavenderRott said, he probably could use longer walks. He's a boy and they don't do it all at once but like to spread it around in different spots.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Mine was a long and painful experience but at the end they get it. Longer walks and never coming in unless they do there stuff. I also repeat the command over and over and over till he did his duty. I used to take him out every 2 hours (including at night). I had him 90% house broken in 2 weeks and 100% in 3 months which is saying a lot for Bob (he's a looker not a thinker).

Don't give up, he'll get it sooner or later but running out when he needs it is not the right approach. Get him on a schedule, you have to break his notion of going when he needs to. Dogs are creatures of habit, make his duty a habit and he'll love you even more.

Good luck
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree w/ LavenderRott, and in fact, was going to suggest the same.
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM

We've had Roxy for 5 days and she has only had 1 accident in the house. From the day we got her I have been taking her out with her leash on, once she goes I take the leash off and let her play. I take her out every hour or so, she sleeps all night so unless she wakes up I don't take her out. I'm sure your little guy will get the hang of it soon.
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Preplanning makes success

I would also say that since your pup seems to be unhappy with the leash, tethering him to you and letting him wear the leash while indoors will desensitize him from his leash-hesitancy. It would be best to have a dog who is calm while on-leash from the get go, rather than working on leash training once it starts to get more important (when he's older, walks to the park, going to visit friends, etc).

Also, did you have a balcony? While wee-pads may be good (and are good, for sure!) depending on what floor you live on, the balcony could do in a pinch until he can hold it for longer periods of time. Just.. yeah.. rinsing off a porch when you're on the 10th-floor would be not-so-kind for your neighbours on a windy day

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
BaileyThePup

Gibbons, you know...I just met 3 other people in my same building that have puppies and are using the wee-wee pads on their balcony. Mainly because there is not enough time, once you catch them in the act, to get them outside. It's literally about 5+ min to get him outside. So they are using their balcony and pads for those quick-gotta-go-now moments. Because by the time we get outside, that moment is over and he's just ready to play.

I didn't want to resort to wee-wee pads, but for these quick bursts to go potty.

I know others have lived in high-rises before with puppies, so I can't imagine others didn't go thru this same debate over how to house train your puppy.

I've also seen others use a play pen to put them in when you can't watch them. That would be easier than crating him since he's not so keen on that yet. And, then he can play and watch me. So many options....it's just finding the one that works, I guess.

Anyone use a play-pen for their puppies instead of always putting them in their crate?
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Check out this link for some tips on setting up a doggie playpen: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...-amp-doggy-den

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Swift Tribe

you know, one thing i noticed abotu Mister is he got it, he just didnt REMEMBER it till much later. we just expressed our dismay at his little piddles and eventually he just stopped going in the house.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
BaileyThePup

I actually went to puppy school on Saturday and my trainer said, if you cannot have an eagle eye on your puppy, then they need to be in their crate. Basically, they should be spending more time in their crate then out of it. The only time they should be out is to go outside, playing, or you having full control and watching him. That helps develop their bladders, to hold it til they have to go out again. She said it could take a few weeks to a few months until he is fully housetrained...and this is the best way to prevent any accidents while he's learning.

So, this weekend, after we played after his potty, I put him right back in his crate. He slept the entire time...and I was at home!! Then he woke up and I took him right outside. This seemed to have worked ok. I'll try to keep this routine and see how it works. Wish me luck!!!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
BaileyThePup

Still having issue. Does this get easier?? He is now 17 weeks old. I am still keeping him in the crate more. Once he comes in from outside, he plays then he goes right back in. But....he will still have accidents on the carpet. It's so random, too. Sometimes it's only 5 minutes after we've come back in....sometimes it's 15 min. At least I catch him everytime and race him outside. This morning, he tinkled on the bathroom floor while I was getting ready. We had just gone outside 15 minutes prior and he's never done that in the bathroom.

When does the potty'ing accidents start to lessen? I feel like he should know now to go outside, but doesn't. He still doesn't know how to hold it when indoors, except when he's in his crate. Sometimes when we come back in...15 min later he's standing by the front door again. We go out, and he just plays, no potty.

How long will this go on? Will he ever learn to 'hold it' indoors?? I don't know what else I can do to get it to 'click' with him. I'm so confused on what else to do......

Thank!!!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

ok, 17 weeks is only 4 mths old. A 4mth old pup is expected to still have accidents, and still be learning. even 6mth old pups, with a good understanding of it, STILL have accidents. don't think that age means that a pup should be housebroken. all dogs are different, like children, and some take longer to learn than others.

be patient, and consistent.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM

First time we put Abby's leash on, she froze, her legs went stiff and I was waiting for her to fall over like one of those fainting goats. This took about a few days to get over, plus I invested in one of the leashes that extense. I find Abby sometimes needs to piddle a few times when I take her out so I stay out a little longer and make sure she is ready to come in. Abby seems to prefer outside so staying out is what she would prefer anyways. One of the things I've read is in teaching your dog to come, you don't want to punish or end their good time,, so even after abby is done and I call her and reward her we stay out a little longer. Sometimes this means a second squat. Hang in there,,they all learn eventually