Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 15th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Big dogs on slack leashes in the vet's office

Baci (Sphynx male cat ) had to see the vet yesterday due to a nagging upper respiratory issue and while we are waiting (he was in his carrier on the bench) we notice another pet and owner. A big dog on leash by another owner sees me, feels my good vibe (lol) and immediately approaches me because the leash is too slack and starts licking my face. I pet him and the dog's owner says "This isn't scaring your cat is it" ?

I look back and Baci's whole body is pressed into a small part of the carrier and his head is real low and he's as still as a rock. Good thing he has no hair or he would have lost it all yesterday.

"yeah this is freaking him out" I told her. She pulled her dog in closer but his tail would not stop wagging.

Anyway she tried to keep her 100 pound 7 year old lab under control, but the dooger kept eyeing me and by the end of it I received 2 more sets of licks before it was all over.

Yeah I shoulda made a bigger protest - but I'm such a sucker for happy dogs.

The plastic carrier imprints on Baci's skin have healed up and Baci got some new meds. This morning he sounds a bit better. : goodvibes:

Moral of the story...make sure you sit farther away from big doogers if u have a cat with you.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM

at least the dog only wanted to see you and not the Baci. when i take my oldest in to the vet i have to cover their carrier and kind of hope a dogs not around, even though they are great with my dogs
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Well the owner did ask if it was a problem... At least she was that smart. I had all three of the doogers at the vet this week, and I always wait outside with them until it's my turn to go in. I just hate the waiting room and so do they. I took them on two different nights, Nikki the first night and Lupa and Halo the second night. On the second night it was apparently BIG DOOGER night, lots of large dogs there.

Glad to hear Baci is on the mend anyhow.
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I had my hearing dog with me at a DR. office and a woman was there with her baby. The baby started to crawl over right into my dog's space and I told the mother that my dog is a trained dog but another dog may not be trained so she should not let her baby get into a strange dog space. The mother looked at me as if I had 2 heads. She let her baby get into my dog space . My dog was trained so people could walk right over him and we would not move. The woman with the dog was smarter than the mother with the baby. You did not have to wash face that day . LOL!
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

There's some stupid people in this world. I ran into a similar situation at a show. A girl holding some sort of happy hound on a long lead in an area where people had to walk through to get to the rings. Because cattle dogs are quick to fire up, after this dog's 2nd attempt to leap and jump all over Perkins, I just said "Let that dog do that one more time and I will report you". She was gone in a flash. To be fair, I have been in the same position though and been ticked off, so to speak. Letting my cattle dog look at some Chihuahuas. I told the owner Shady would never harm them, and she replied that her Chi's would attack regardless. Oops! Made sure I kept away from small dogs after that. Sorry your beautiful Baci got a fright, Marko, the woman must have a short attention span.
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't care how friendly and receptive to visits with my dog the other person might be because I have no idea WHY they and their animal are there in the first place. I don't want the person to touch my dog (or cat but they will be in carriers) because they've probably just been touching their own animal. Maybe they are just there for regular shots, but maybe it's to see if eye goop is conjunctivitis or the skin condition is mange, both contagious to my pet and me.

I'm not impressed at all about Marko's woman asking if the cat was ok, she didn't ask till after her dog licked Marko.

Have you ever noticed the Vet Techs and other staff don't touch your pet till they have to? No friendly pets, just smiles? If they do they should be washing their hands, for their own safety and the safety of other pets.

LOL, I've thwarted a couple of inquisitive pets by saying, "Oh, I hope you don't catch what mine's got." Strangely no one has asked what mine's got.
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Love that last bit, Longblades. Hahaha! Must remember that. True what you say about Marko's woman too.
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
"Oh, I hope you don't catch what mine's got."
LOVE IT. Awesome tip and loads of room for creativity.

An even better one might be -

"Unless you want your pooch to come down with a severe case of infectious diarrhea, I recommend you keep him away from my dog/cat"
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I don't care how friendly and receptive to visits with my dog the other person might be because I have no idea WHY they and their animal are there in the first place. I don't want the person to touch my dog (or cat but they will be in carriers) because they've probably just been touching their own animal. Maybe they are just there for regular shots, but maybe it's to see if eye goop is conjunctivitis or the skin condition is mange, both contagious to my pet and me.

I'm not impressed at all about Marko's woman asking if the cat was ok, she didn't ask till after her dog licked Marko.

Have you ever noticed the Vet Techs and other staff don't touch your pet till they have to? No friendly pets, just smiles? If they do they should be washing their hands, for their own safety and the safety of other pets.

LOL, I've thwarted a couple of inquisitive pets by saying, "Oh, I hope you don't catch what mine's got." Strangely no one has asked what mine's got.
My dog was a hearing dog and could go any where with me. Plus there a guy who lived upstairs and he hated me and my dog and the jerk kept reporting lies about my dog barking the whole time I lelt him home. I got a letter from the condo manger saying I had to bring my dog with me when I went out. Most people at my condo hated the guy including my dog. We happy when the guy moved out.