Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Dog urinating in her bed

I have a one year old spayed female Border Collie cross. I also have a 6 year old neutered male purebred Border Collie. Both are active, healthy dogs. I live in a rural area where they get lots of exercise, they swim, run, play and are loving, happy dogs. I feed them a high-end (dry) dog food obtained from an Animal Feed Store. This food has been recommended by our vet. The only problem I have with the one year old female is that she frequently pees in her bed at night. She was crated at night for the first year of her life. She has been doing this since we got her at eight weeks of age. At first we thought this was a puppy thing, but she is a year old now and is still doing it. We have even removed her bed and just put newspapers on the floor with a thin blanket. She pees in the blanket even though she could pee elsewhere on the floor. I have had to separate the two dogs at night because the female will also go pee in the male's bed. I am thinking she likes the smell of the pee in her bed. Can we break this habit? Any suggestions? I haven't ruled out a bladder infection and will pursue this with the vet, but I am thinking this is not a health issue, but is a behavioural issue.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog urinating

Have your vet rule out health issue, could be spay incontinence or bladder infection, before dealing with a behavioural problem as most dogs hate to pee on their beds and sleep in it. If you remove water after 6 p.m. and she has a late last pee trip that might be all thats needed but vet visit will confirm any health issues.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I agree. Dogs will not, if they can help it, pee where they sleep. It could be from being spayed, uti, or a hormonal imbalance. Please have her checked. our chelsea started to have accidents in bed (she slept with us) and the dr said it was medical, as she was cushings positive